2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's a left guard but can play the right also. Seems like he would be a solid signing if we could get him:

The Jets’ interest in Asamoah, who will turn 26 in July, makes sense. He started 31 games in 2011 and 2012 before losing his starting spot to Geoff Schwartz last November. Asamoah, a third-round pick by Kansas City in 2010, started nine games last year before missing one due to a shoulder injury. Schwartz, who is also an unrestricted free agent, started the final six games, including the playoffs.

Asamoah, who is better in pass protection than run blocking, could be a free agent steal. However, the Jets will likely have to fend off a handful of other serious suitors to land him. The Falcons and Chargers reportedly may have interest. The Jets are negotiating with 6-4, 305-pound right tackle Austin Howard with the hope of re-signing him before free agency begins. The Jets have plenty of space under the salary cap, but it’s unclear whether Idzik & Co. will be willing to spend enough to land Asamoah.

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the exact article I read haha.

But yeah, the line really concerns me actually. I felt like Geno was constantly getting hurried last year. Even if we were to get that guy, I'd still be concerned over the other guard spot. I don't really want to go into the year banking on starting Winters.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

"Legal Tampering" starts today correct?
    We should start seeing some news on who we are really interested in.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I would still be patient when it comes to us tho

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Glad to see the team is interested in Asamoah. If Winters is going to start on one side, then they'll need a legitimate guy on the other. It'll be interesting to see how much he gets paid as he's young, has been successful in the league and played very well (according to PFF), but lost his starting job albeit to a guy who played even better (and is also a FA).

I hope that the team really looks into Nicks, but I'm starting to feel better about Sanders as well. And I forgot that the Pats signed Sanders to an offer sheet last year. This somehow makes him more intriguing...

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Reports coming in that we will make Asamoah an offer. I love it.

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Should be mucho activity today fellas and gals... Lets enjoy this.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

A little concerning he lost his starting job midway thru the season no? Either way, an OG needs to be brought in. Glad they are addressing it.

10. Jay Bizniss

And here we go!!

11. Jay Bizniss

They better be in the phone with Byrd right now.

12. I would do a happy dance.AND Antrell Hawkins.? Jets could afford to do it.

Nicks/Sanders/Kerley/Hawkiins/Hill/Nelson would be a nice group heading into training camp

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Hell yes! I'd sign up for this any day. It would instantly be a HUGE difference than last year.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sanders is on the way up. Nicks is clearly on the way down. Nicks was the #1 target for many years, Sanders was the #2 behind Brown.

Last year:
    Nicks: 896 yards, ZERO touchdowns
    Sanders: 740 yards, 6 touchdowns

I'll take the 6 touchdown guy, easily. If Nicks was still that 1192 yard guy, I'd be about him but it doesn't seem he can still play at that level. Sanders is clearly a better choice for the future. Signing Sanders also has breakout potential written all over it. Brown is the #1 target on the Steelers but Sanders isn't all that far behind, at least based on his play on the field. We also wouldn't have to break the bank on Sanders and it could payoff HUGE. I'm not so sure Nicks will be cheaper, but we'll see.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

How would you know if one guy is one the way up? Its entirely possible that Sanders peaked last season, both these guys are the same age and up until now, Nick has proven to be better and has accomplished more.

Ill take either one, but Sanders better be coming cheaper.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Hehe that's kind of funny, because most Jets fans blame Holmes when Sanchez was a turnover machine and Wayne Hunter was a turnstile, but carry on. Nothing to see here. Nicks looks like he doesn't have it anymore. I saw a lot of Giants games last year. He wasn't the same guy.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I like this as well, but did they ever end up giving Howard a contract? They were negotiating a while back but then I haven't heard anything for a while.

18. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I think Nicks is all done .... how can you want a player that seemed at times to mail it in during a contract year. Doesn't sound like the type of player we should bring in to me.

19. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

I believe Asamoah lost the starting job when he got injured and Schwartz came in and played better. Reminds me of Alex Smith's concussion that essentially lost his starting job when Kaepernick came in. At least Idzik realizes our weaknesses. I wonder how long before we get reports of who the Jets are reaching out to?

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

One guy's production has steadily gone up, while the other's has gone down. Nicks has accomplished more but his play has gone downhill the last 2 years. That's not a good sign. Plus Nicks seems way older, even though they are close to the same age. I feel like he's slowed down. I wouldn't mind both, but I just feel Nicks would cost more and has dud potential, and wouldn't end up being a true #1. Sanders, at worst he'll play a little over Kerley's level as a good #2, at best he breaks out, becomes our #1 and has a career year. Sanders seems faster, and has really good hands these days. One thing to worry about Nicks, he had a 5% drop rate in 2013(career high). Sanders, on the other hand was 2.7% in 2013 (career low). One trend goes up the other goes down. Nicks could turn it around, I just see Sanders with more upside. Plus I love the way he plays and the effort that he seems to put in every snap. He has take it to the house potential on almost every play. I'd take Holmes back over Nicks. He scored a TD last year despite seeing way less snaps and playing with a raw rookie rather than a superbowl MVP.

#460 Barcs, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014