2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

This guy.
    I had been quite split on the two, but you make a very easy, straight argument.

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's been said, but Sproles just got released. He would be a solid addition to our backfield as a change of pace back and 3rd down back, if he could be had for a reasonable price.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

Don't care about their ability to stay healthy and on the field...?

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I do, but Nicks has also proven he can be the #1 guy in an offense. Both factors are important.

5. NYJalltheway

If you care to help his argument, well you are.

So even in injury riddled seasons, Nicks still outperforms Sanders every year anyway.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I dont even care about the TDs, most of Nicks TDs come from long passes anyway. He had big plays last season, they didn't result in a TD, unfortunate but its not big of a deal. Nicks had 896 yards in what many considered a "bad" year. It was only "bad" because his bar is set A LOT higher because of how good he has been in the past. Nicks draws the coverage to, he is the one getting defended, teams gameplanned to stop Nicks, thats why Cruz flourished like he did. No one game planned around stopping Sanders, they game planned to stop Wallace and Brown.

Now I am not opposed to bringing Sanders in because he would clearly be an upgrade but if Nicks cost $1 or $2 million more I am going to take Nicks without any hesitation.

7. NYJalltheway

You make such a good point Soxxx. I'm not sure why I didn't really think of that before. I've made the argument that Decker should no way get #1 money, and that he's the closest thing to a #1 available. Well really when you think of it, Nicks can be just as good. If he can stay healthy in the future, like Colon did this last year. (until the last game at least)

I'd love Nicks for 5-6 million a year, but we'll see what happens.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah and the odd thing is, Nicks has taken a lot of heat for last season, its odd that people have put more stock into guys like Decker. Decker has never been a #1, Decker never drew the defense's attention. He like Sanders, took advantage of the coverage the other guys were drawing. When we played the NY Giants, guess who was covering Nicks? Revis.

If we can get Nicks for say, 3 years $20 million. Do it. We gave Holmes 5 years, $50 million. Giving Nicks $7 million a year would not be to much. It appears his market is small to which really doesnt make much sense, but who cares? if it means the Jets can get him cheaper, than good for us. He would also be able to stay in NY which could be huge for him, relocating is not easy.

9. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

I'm not particularly cheering for any of them, nor do I care about winning an argument.

Just saying one of those players has been succesful at staying healthy, one has not.

They're both a gamble, and deemed expendable by other (non-playoff) teams than the Jets.

You also seem to have a crush on soxxx.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Free Agency starts tomorrow at noon, contracts cant be signed until Tuesday. We should start hearing a ton of news tomorrow though.

NYJalltheway and Swedish Ale like this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Definitely Sanders....Nicks injury prone and ZERO Td's in 2013 and only 3 in 2012...Pass. There's a reason why there's not much of a market for Nicks. High risk high reward with Nicks. Sanders much steadier and getting better each year. Stock way up.

12. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

He's still not a sexy WR.
    Not that there are any available, either. Guess Maclin was.

Plus we already got one Sanders in Kerley, they're virtually the same type of player.

13. JetsNation06

Maclin isn't even a sexy WR. There are none in FA this year minus Decker and the verdict is out on him. However Sanders is a very productive WR with better speed than Kerley and can stretch the field a bit. It doesn't matter if Sanders and Kerley are similar, if they can both play then any OC worth his stock will figure out a way to get the most out of both of them. And Sanders had 6 TD's last year and is just entering his prime now. Add Cooks and a taller wideout in the draft and you have a sexy WR corps.

14. Sanders is taller & more physical than Kerley. He may not be a #1 but he's a solid number 2 for sure.

There's also the option of a younger player still developing w/ upside like Andre Roberts & Denario Alexander.Both are starting quality.

15. All skill players are injury prone. As for Nicks lack of production last year...does that all fall on him? Is it his fault the Giants OL was a bunch of turnstyles?Or that ELI was an interception machine? Look at the lack of production as a way to keep his price tag down. Sanders is solid..but pound for pound Nicks blows him as well as every other WR in FA in this class away.

16. JetsNation06

I'm all for Sanders as a #2/#3. Get him for $4-$5 mil, draft Cooks and a tall wideout. Cooks, tall wideout, Sanders, and Kerley and you have the makings of a dynamic young WR corps with several skillsets.

17. JetsNation06

Never said that it was all on him but facts are facts. You can't blame him totally just like you can't blame the offense around him totally. Enough blame to go around. And some players are more injury prone than others. Nicks' recent history suggests this. Like I said, Nicks is high risk high reward. And I still think he's going to want $7 mil a year and no way I want the Jets giving him that. Sanders is a safer pickup to me and some here are undervaluing him. He's got a lot of upside.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Give me Nicks or Sanders. Or both.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I want Nicks AND Sanders!

20. NYJalltheway

I just read the Jets have interest in the Chiefs guard. Anybody know if he plays left or right? How much he would want? How good he is?