2014 HOF Class

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Barry the Baptist, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Legit. They should be there. Biggio, Bagwell and Piazza should get in eventually IMO

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It will be a pretty great day for Bobby Cox, with him, Maddux, and Glavine all being inducted at the same time. I imagine Chipper will want to be there to watch. Speaking of Chipper, will be affected by the apparent PED effects? It is clearly holding Bagwell and Piazza back. And how about this: a guy with more than 3000 lifetime hits and 500 lifetime home runs (Palmeiro) not only wasn't elected, but was dropped off the ballot with fewer than 5% of the vote!

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think it's totally unfair to hold the PED era thing against guys like Griffey Jr, Thome, Bagwell, Piazza etc. If they haven't been linked to anything they should be given a fair shake IMO.

If anything it makes guys like Randy Johnson and Greg Maddux that much more impressive.

5. Barry the Baptist

It's obvious the whispers of Bagwell and Piazza being linked to this stuff is holding them back.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^I never knew there were whispers, that would change things for them.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I would put Raines, Bonds, Clemens and Piazza in from that list that didn't make it.

I get the PED stuff for Bonds and Clemens but both were dominant HOF types long before their bodies started changing.

8. Barry the Baptist

I can remeber hearing things about Piazza and his "acne" while he was still playing and I think Bagwell just gets thrown in because he was a big guy even when he was with the Sox. It's a shame because both I think are deserving players, especially Piazza who was quite possibly the greatest offensive catcher of all time.

9. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Next year's ballot:
    Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Lee Smith, Curt Schilling, Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, Mike Mussina, Jeff Kent, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Larry Walker, Don Mattingly, Sammy Sosa, Rich Aurilia, Aaron Boone, Paul Byrd, Tony Clark, Carlos Delgado, David Dellucci, Jermaine Dye, Alan Embree, Darin Erstad, Kelvim Escobar, Cliff Floyd, Nomar Garciaparra, Brian Giles, Tom Gordon, Eddie Guardado, Randy Johnson, Mark Loretta, Pedro Martinez, Ramon Martinez, Doug Mientkiewicz, Kevin Millar, Troy Percival, B.J. Ryan, Jason Schmidt, Gary Sheffield, John Smoltz, Julian Tavarez, Jarrod Washburn, David Weathers

My guess - Pedro, Biggio, and Johnson get in. Smoltz and Piazza fall short. Half this list shouldn't even be on the ballot but whatever.

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/future-eligibles

Griffey in '16, Pudge maybe in '17, Chipper maybe in '18 Halladay and Rivera in '19

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Bagwell had no power when he was in the Red Sox organization then all of a sudden grew massive biceps and started hitting bombs when he got to Houston. And supposedly his body changed a LOT the other way when they started drug testing in baseball. The writers probably do know things more than the general public vis-a-vis those two.

But yeah these writers are unfairly appointing themselves judge and jury. It'd be laughable if they already elected a guy who was juicing after all the pains they're taking to delay the induction of what should be a first-ballot guy like Piazza. Even Biggio I heard on the MLB Network radio show got cost a couple of votes (which was all he needed) to get in because people were calling up Marty Noble and Murray Chass with belief that HE was doping and they changed their ballot, leaving him off.

Like others have said, HOF voting should expand beyond the writers, who have their own agendas like that idiot LeBatard who gave away his vote to make a point.

#10 NYJFan10, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Guys off that list that I think definitely should make it at some point.

Piazza
    Raines
    Clemens
    Bonds
    Schilling
    Edgar Martinez
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro
    Smoltz

any others and it is watering the Hall down.

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I read Jacque Jones got a HOF vote this year. Am I reading that right? Jacque fuckin Jones? He had like 3 good years.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

no love for Mussina?

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

How did Glavine make it? He never threw a pitch across the plate.

15. Barry the Baptist

You don't think Biggio should be in? My friend argues he was a compiler but his numebsr are HOF for his position. Now Joe Morgan.... total compiler.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Uh, Morgan is better than Biggio in every respect, other than getting beaned. The guy won back to back MVPs, Biggio's best year couldn't crack Morgan's top 5.

Biggio is 20th all time in hits and about 600th in BA and 400th in OBP. If that's not a compiler I don't know what is.

#16 3rdAnd15Draw, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think both have aspects of compilers - they both played 20+ years, and many of those seasons for both were only good. The difference to me is that Biggio had a six year stretch where he was truly excellent (1993-1998: .304/.399/.476, 135 OPS+, 6.4 WAR per season, 3 Gold Gloves), while Morgan had a three year stretch in Houston where he was excellent (1965-1967: .276/.385/.408, 131 OPS+, 4.4 WAR per season) and a six year stretch in Cincinnati where he was certainly the best second baseman of the last 70 years (1972-1977: .301/.429/.495, 159 OPS+, 9.9 WAR per season, 5 Gold Gloves). I certainly think Morgan was much better than Biggio.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Morgan played about half his career as the best second baseman in baseball. A "compiler" is somebody who was never the best at his position and played 15 or more years. Don Sutton is the classic case.

Also, almost all Hall of Famers are compilers as anyone who plays 10 years compiles statistics even Addie Joss.

19. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

To me, he was good but not great.