2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

ACC Operation Basketball 2014-15 Preseason Poll
    (First-place votes in parenthesis)
    Team & Points

1. Duke (41): 935
    2. North Carolina (12): 870
    3. Louisville (3): 847
    4. Virginia: 824 (7)
    5. Syracuse: 706 (2)
    6. Pitt: 592
    7. Notre Dame: 515
    8. Florida State: 506
    9. NC State: 478
    10. Miami: 442
    11. Clemson: 330
    12. Wake Forest: 221
    13. Georgia Tech: 195
    14. Boston College: 184
    15. Virginia Tech: 155

2014-15 Preseason All-ACC Team(votes in parenthesis)
    Marcus Paige, North Carolina (63)
    Montrezl Harrell, Louisville (58)
    Jahlil Okafor, Duke (57)
    Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia (55)
    Jerian Grant, Notre Dame (24)
    ACC Preseason Player of the Year
    Marcus Paige, North Carolina
    ACC Preseason Rookie of the Year
    Jahlil Okafor, Duke

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detai...s-201415-preseason-poll-and-awards-2014-10-29

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Isaiah Briscoe, #9 on rivals will announce his college on Thursday. It's between Kentucky and SJU. A lot of rumors saying it's SJU, would be a big get for 2015.

3. nyjunc

Hopefully it's St. John's.

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on the Phantom Travel called on Allan Ray.....

5. nyjunc

haha, he travelled twice.

6. HackettSuxTNG

Only in your mind. It's still considered one of the most controversial calls in NCAA history.

7. nyjunc

only by Nova fans and UNC haters. He travelled and again the only reason the game was close was b/c Felton fouled out on ticky tack fouls but either way the Heels cut down the nets. Time to look forward.

8. HackettSuxTNG

I guess the entire CBS post-game staff Are Villanova fans or UNC haters:

[youtube]

9. nyjunc

so what? they think one way, they also said it was incredibly close so it could go either way. They also don't discuss the shuffling of his feet before he even started dribbling. It's clear he took 3 steps and either way the only reason it was close was b/c Felton fouled out on garbage calls.

The better team won, time to move on. It's going on 10 years now.

By the way, Raftery on the broadcast agreed w/ the call.

10. nyjunc

go to 1:16:41 mark to hear Raftery's thoughts

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm neither and I think it was a bad call, it doesn't matter, it wasn't the last play of the game and there is no guarantee that Nova goes on to win the game.

I also don't know how you can continue to say "he shuffled his feet" with that guy's head and laptop blocking his feet. His legs move but no where can you see either of his feet ever come up.

#51 Barry the Baptist, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  12. nyjunc

you can see it pretty clearly and t the time I had posted a much better angle of it. there's no doubt he shuffled his feet and I think it was close but he took 3 steps. Again, the only reason the game was close anyway was b/c Felton fouled out. The better team won and the best team won the title that year.

On to 2014-2015 where the Heels will have a good chance to return to the FF and win another Nat'l Title.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

And we had seen this before with the ugly duckling small private school getting shafted at crunch time vs. the sexy gazillion dollar budget, taxpayer-funded Goliath (read: Seton Hall vs. Michigan). While CBS went "warm & fuzzy" with Rumeal Robinson's mom in the stands wearing her "Rumeal Robinson's Mom" t-shirt, it's interesting to note that the former "hero" Michigan guard is serving a 6-year prison term in a federal penitentiary after being busted by the F.B.I. for fraud, bank bribery, and other federal charges. But he does have an NCAA Championship ring so I guess cheaters sometimes do win. Speaking of which…

You're absolute right on that one junc, the only question is whether I (and others like myself) viewed it as a 'Nova fan (like 'em but not a die hard alumni fan) or as a North Carolina hater. I have conflicting feelings here: are we talking about the North Carolina that St. John's' Frank McGuire led to the Tar Heels' first NCAA Championship (along with Lennie Rosenbluth and several other New York transplants) OR, the North Carolina whose "cheat at all costs" mentality has fully corrupted what is now a truly rotten program? What's even more dispicable is that in this case it involves a program that is funded in great part by hard-working taxpaying stiffs, many of who did not have the $-dough-ray-me to go to college in the first place.

You are in my opinion (and I'm being serious) bright, intelligent and further, you strike me as a man of principle and integrity. And that is all the more reason why I (for the life of me) can not understand your continued slavish devotion to such a slimy institution and a contemptible, fraud-ravaged athletic program. Taking my beloved Yankees as an example, yes I could get beyond the stupidity of George Steinbrenner's "Bronx Zoo" earlier days, the embarrassingly sleezy Fritz Petterson-Mike Kekich affair and the various "juicers" (Pettitte, Arod, and that jerk Clemens), etc. But if this involved sustained corruption extending over the course of decades, I would eventually have to ask myself: "why would I even consider giving these low-life cheats the time of day?"

The University of Belichick at Chapel Hill.

North Carolina doesn't deserve your support and you deserve better than UNC junc.

Much better.

UNC should get death penalty in academic fraud case, but it won't
    October 23, 2014 6:56 pm ET
    [​IMG]

Did UNC basketball coach Roy Williams ask enough questions about the corruption? (Getty)

North Carolina has been disgraced. Unfortunately for everyone involved, it's not going to end with mere embarrassment.

Not if you believe that some shred of the NCAA Manual matters to anyone anymore. Not if you believe in the collegiate model that says education should have at least a smidge to do with getting a free education. Not if you believe that scores of folks in higher education have to take the fall for a massive, corrupt, paper class sham that goes back almost 20 years.
    It's not going to end with North Carolina's administration throwing itself on a flaming pyre of regret and reform. Or coaches moving on after I-don't-remember answers too hard, burning questions about their athletes' matriculation through fake classes.

Some sort of burn-to-the-ground sanction seems to be in order. Death penalty, why not? It's just a matter of who you pin it on. Football, where four coaches have to share some sort of blame. If nothing else, Mack Brown, Carl Torbush, John Bunting and Butch Davis were charged when some of their players -- as part of that free education -- seemingly got free grades. Basketball, where the corruption stretches all the way back to Dean Smith.

And all the way to the desk of basketball coach Roy Williams who didn't ask enough questions. Instead -- quoting from the internal report --"delegated academic responsibilities" to an assistant coach and academic counselor.

That's part of the reason why this massive scandal stinks back two decades. You only find out what you want to find out. It's part of the reason some sport somewhere has to be shut down.

Death penalty? It won't happen, of course. The NCAA doesn't have the stomach for it. There are TV contracts to fulfill, arenas to sell out. It got there, almost, with Penn State. Then the association took most of the penalties back.

What was more outrageous? The original penalties or the conclusion it might be a good PR move to assert the school had cleaned itself up a mere two years later?

Nevertheless, a lesson must be taught at UNC beyond docking scholarships, fines and postseason sanctions. Otherwise, the NCAA loses what little credibility it has left.

"This never should have been allowed to happen," UNC chancellor Carol Folt said.

Key word: Allowed. See, they're admitting it.

Everyone involved failed their duties. CEOs get fired when stock prices dip, for lack of performance. If nothing else, these North Carolina administrators/coaches were in charge when these shadow classes were being offered.

That's not overseeing a program, it's chasing wins, keeping a paycheck, turning a blind eye. The report concluded players committed academic fraud with the help of academic counselors. It found the sham classes went on for 18 years.

There were 3,100 students skating through. Almost half of them were athletes.

Someone, somewhere is guilty of not only ignoring, but basically laughing at a fundamental bedrock of college athletics -- academic integrity.

Without it, college kids are pros. Yeah, I know. We may be there already. But that's a debate for another time.

The NCAA and the amateurs they oversee still stand for something. One UNC professor steered players toward the fake classes, according to the report. Jan Boxill's title is director of the Parr Center for Ethics.

It will be more than interesting to see how the NCAA proceeds in an UNC case. It essentially whiffed there once.

A previous investigation found former UNC assistant coach John Blake provided extra benefits to players. The Tar Heels were docked a bowl in 2012. Head coach Butch Davis lost his job.

But out of that investigation details began to emerge about the AFAM paper classes. Dan Kane of the Raleigh News & Observer broke every major story as the scandal unfolded. The NCAA didn't get back involved until June when it reopened the case.

If media conclusions were fundamentally unfounded at Oklahoma State, the case can be made: In this situation, media reports essentially shamed the NCAA into getting back into the North Carolina case.

The irony is delicious: The same independent investigator used by North Carolina -- Kenneth Wainstein -- was used by the NCAA in the Miami case. In that sense, Wainstein has twice spurred NCAA enforcement to action.

Wainstein, a former US Dept. of Justice official, called the paper classes "corrupted" versions of legitimate teaching.

And if there is no legitimate teaching, there is no educational mission. If there is no educational mission, there is no NCAA.

That's why the association must come down hard.

Enforcement first must determine if this reopened case is subject to the four-year statute of limitations. Bylaw 19.5.11 allows the NCAA to go back beyond four years if there is "a pattern of willful violations on the part of the institution" or indication of "a blatant disregard for ... recruiting, extra-benefit, academic or ethical conduct bylaws ..."

Given that definition, the NCAA should be investigated if it doesn't go back to when this all started in 1993.

It's time to reestablish faith in North Carolina, the NCAA and the educational mission. Some sport, somewhere needs to get the death penalty at UNC.

It won't happen, of course, for the same reasons the misconduct occurred in the first place. TV contracts have to be fulfilled. Arenas have to sell out.

Topics: North Carolina Tar Heels, NCAAB, NCAAF

14. nyjunc

you really should read the Wainstein Report and watch his presentation on it rather than allow some hack writer to think for you.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I know the emotional attachment's roots are deep but it's like when P.O. Dennis Peck had to coax Steven Arrocas into realizing the cold, hard truth in "Internal Affairs" :

"UNC's a tramp junc, a big tramp….……UNC screws everybody. C'mon, be a man junc, get rid of 'her' …"

[​IMG]

16. nyjunc

Please read the report and watch his presentation then get back to me.

17. HackettSuxTNG

You didn't answer my question: Are the entire CBS Post-Game crew Villanova fans, or UNC haters?

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Fair enough, will do.

19. nyjunc

they said it was very close, nothing wrong with that. some feel it was the proper call, others don't. Please ask them about the ticky tack calls on Felton, when you get an answer on that you can keep whining. the better team won, the team that deserved to win won.

20. nyjunc