2014-15 NBA REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 8, 2014.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I think it would have been nicer if the FO just kept him, and dealt with it. I was pissed at the time, and still am.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

almost impossible to build a team around two superstars without going over, really

so now they're running into the problem again

4. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

It was different basketball economics back then though...

The new TV deal and new endorsement deals weren't signed then...

Now, the money is going to be flowing in so the luxury tax NOW is more manageable then it was back then...Back then, the OKC partners probably had to put money into the business to pay for the Harden luxury tax and balked...Now, the new NBA money will cover it and the partners can just collect profit distributions.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

yeah I don't know how they're going to fix this. Players choosing to only go to established contenders so it's almost impossible to rise up the standings to contend. The NBA is a special situation because you need 2 or more elite stars to win and there's not even enough to go around for each team to have one. The stars are capped and underpaid but there's millions that have to be spent so the scrubs get grossly overpaid.

Then there's the problem that all capped leagues realized recently which is that tax jurisdicion gives big markets a huge disadvantage. There's a max salary but the players get taxed locally in NYC or LA at something like 20% and the players in Florida get taxed at 0%. It makes a huge difference when money is the deciding factor. Salary caps were supposed to level the playing field for small markets but because of the law of unintended consequences it's actually given them a huge advantage. The next CBA will have to consider an income tax adjustor

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jason Kidd goes hard on this old school west coast joint

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I hope KD doesn't sign a 1 yr extension next year just to get paid the bigger bucks in 2017.. which would be kinda smart from his POV but still.. That would leave us with KD Russ and Ibaka all in their contract year for 2017..i don't like the thought of that at all.

8. GordonGecko

What are the chances of KD signing with the Knicks, even if they win 50 games... probably less than 10%. Knicks will have to find another way

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

The nba execs were polled and the majority think he will re sign.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't see KD leaving. It's not usual for superstars to jump teams. Lebron did it, and while it worked out from a title standpoint, his reputation took a big hit.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think if he goes anywhere it will be Washington, hometown, chance to play with Wall.. Knicks don't stand a chance unfortunately IMO

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that the only people in the world that think KD could possibly sign with the Knicks are Knick fans.

Knick fans think their franchise is some sort of Tiffany NBA franchise steeped in a tradition of excellence and winning and that players can't wait to flock to MSG.

It's delusional.

I love when callers called into sports talk radio with their well rehearsed theory "If Lebron came to the Knicks and won a championship, he'd be an NBA God for ALL TIME!!!"

Except LeBron isn't a Knick fan and (i) doesn't give a shit about the Knicks and could not have cared less about bringing them a championship and (ii) he's already an NBA God for all time--he doesn't need the Knicks to bring him that status.

_

JetLifeLo and BeastBeach like this.
  13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm in the DC area and they have been treading water the last two years in an attempt to be ready to get KD if he wants to come. I think he stays, but I do think that Washington could entice him. Good young players and the team is basically just missing a stretch 4. Westbrook is a better scorer than Wall, but I think they are pretty close when compared on the whole. It should be interesting anyway.

14. GordonGecko

Knicks fans by and large are delusional, absolutely correct. But make no mistake, any NBA superstar who came here and brought a title would reach god like status. LeBron thinks he knows what it means to be the big man with a ring, he has no idea how much bigger it would be in NYC

15. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Eli got 2 in NY and he's probably under-appreciated. LeBron is basically a God in Cleveland. He's the best player, the HC, and the GM. He doubled Gilbert's total worth. They don't even care that he mailed it in in 2010 or lost 2 Finals. NY would tear LeBron apart, and he'd be a villain, he'd be without tax-free superfriends and with a 70 year old Phil Jackson.

[​IMG]

#1675 Antoni, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful post because my best friend is a knicks fan and for some reason he believes KD will be a knick one day and i pretty much explain this exact post to him. Same goes for the Lakers.. players don't care about the history of the team either... until they draft stars that will make other stars want to go there they will be a 4th or 5th option to star players.. and thats only because of the $$$. Players in todays NBA want to win now and join power houses to put them over the top.

17. JStokes

Make no mistake, no NBA player gives a half baked crap about NY and the Knicks storied (lol) franchise.

Lebron is on 150 foot yachts toasting vino with his buddies--NY would not move the meter 2%.

It's delusional.

Unless you grew up a Knick fan, nobody cares about the Knicks and MSG.

_

BeastBeach and deathstar like this.
  18. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

I like laughing at their misery.

19. JStokes

I like laughing at their grand illusion.

And Phil Jackson as Yoda with Alzheimer's.

_

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"shocking and mocking…their invective is defective …"

[​IMG]