2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I think that is absolutely the plan. Build as much low investment defensive depth as possible and see how much defensive improvement they can achieve to offset the offensive drop off. If we can just get above average in defense the team can be better than they were last year with an offensive decline.

It goes without saying that a Karlsson trade won’t happen without an extension; the question is is Karlsson looking for a trade and extension or does he want to hit free agency. If it is the latter, maybe he could be had for the cheap.

I’d give up Ho-Sang and a pick for Karlsson if they aren’t getting strong offers.

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace the problem with Karlson and Duchene is they both need to sign extensions or they are just rentals-----I believe I read or heard that the Isles inquired about Karlson and he refused to sign an extention to come here,,,,,even if this IS a see what we have year , we had one of the worst defenses in the league last year and this system or no system it must be addressed,,,,there has to be be a guy or 2 out there that we can go get without giving up a lot ? there are guys I am sure we can inquire about

Red Menace likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

just after posting that I went and read some stuff,,,,,,,,,,Staple is saying Islanders still shopping for a # 2 center and a #4 defenseman and another guy posted on an Islander board ( and I cannot find it anywhere ) that they traded with the Ducks for a guy / D I know little about Marcus Pettersson as I said I don't see this anywhere else so it could be bogus

Red Menace likes this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BTW in case you are wondering the Islanders play at Toronto ( Happy New Year ) on 12 /29 then we get the face of the Maple Leafs, John Tavares at Home on Feb 28th and April 1st !!!! See you there

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Boychuck/ Leddy and Pullock and ????

#1425 Red Menace, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

not only this but should we get injuries those question marks get quite large

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, if that’s the case then absolutely not on trading for rental players.

@JetBlue has it right, see what the trade off is with regards to offense while making an effort to keep games close with a pure defensive approach and a counter attack on offense.

Should make for some close games and honestly I would rather take the percentages of those type of games versus the way they played last year when they would go up by 3 goals and end up losing the game anyway.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. JetBlue

At some point the Sens are going to have to take a shot with whatever they get offered for a Karlsson rental; problem is a contender will likely give up some good prospects to make a Cup push with him. I don’t see how the Isles can get him if that’s the case.

9. JetBlue

I’m happy to see what the team can do in conjunction with the new system and go about building the team from there next year.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The trade for Ducks defenseman was fake,,it was out there but bogus. I wish we could get out from Clutterbuck and his contract,,,,can they trade this guy,,,PS but Please Nelson first !!!

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Staple said that Boychucks knee surgery/ injury was more extensive then originally thought,,,,could this mean his minutes need be reduced big time ?,,,he said we are looking for a RHD,,,,,he also mentioned Barrie and a few others,,,,,,,someone else mentioned the possibility of Faulk,,,,time will tell

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Islanders just signed some Russian star Jan Korvar he is a forward think center and he must be coming over here guaranteed a spot on the roster,,,,,trade is coming soon I would think, they say he averaged a point per game in Russia

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Actually he's Czech, and as you say has averaged about a point per game in the KHL over the last five years, playing for the world-famous Metallurg Magnitogorsk. He's averaged about .65 ppg in international play over the last three years playing for the Czech national team, and that might be a more realistic expectation for here (that would be a 20 goal 30 assist pace). I imagine that they'd be happy with third-line-center-level play, hoping for second-line caliber.

Two caveats. (1) Last season was his worst in the KHL. (2) I hope the Isles didn't make the same mistake the Jets did with Bridgewater, and have a team option for the following year in the contract.

CBG likes this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I can't say I know who this guy is but over at Islandermania.com they are giving this potential hire a big thumbs up. Supposed to be one of the best goalie coaches in the league. He improved both Rinne and Holtby's game with the Preds and Caps working with Trotz so if he can get Lehner and Greiss to play solid goal then I am all for it.

CBG and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Korn was good for the Capitals. This year he took a step back from being the Goalie Coach and was an adviser. Some Caps fans thought Holtby wasn't playing as well because he wasn't his coach anymore, but I think it was more fatigue and Holtby's Stanley Cup may confirm that now too. Be interesting to see if Korn will be a Coach or Adviser with the Isles. I'd say Coach for at least a year to help transition the team.

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

StatJeff I read later that he is a Czech, I also read that he played with 2 stud wingers and that he lost one last year and that is possibly why his numbers dipped. I have never seen him before watching videos today are you familiar with him ? Also if he replaces Nelson Im all in as he is in a 1 year deal and its only 2 million ,,,,I am really looking forward to a trade or 2 in our future,,in Lou I trust

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg I have read a lot about him but TDK probably knows him better than any of us but much of what I have read calls him somewhat " a goalie whisperer " lol

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Korn is good. Trotz is good. Lou is good. So the Islanders are in good hands. I think similar to the Jets, the 2018 season will be about building for the future more than winning now, but then 2019 could be big for both teams.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Nope, never heard of him before today.

Nelson and Bailey are the two obvious guys to try to trade. Unfortunately Bailey is probably untradeable due to the moronic deal he got from Snow. One more black mark against Malkin/Ledecky.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ross Johnston is now a NY islander,,,this team might not win many games but they won't lose many fights Barzal and company will not be touched. I think Nelson and or Clutterbuck are expendable we just have toooo many forwards and need defefensman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.