2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

I like the trade. I don't think people are giving enough credit to how much of an upgrade Vanek is over Moulson. And the Isles are plenty deep on the farm right now, and the 1st rounder will likely (hopefully) be only a mid/late 1st anyway.

Plus, it's only October. Vanek will have a chance to pair with JT for 50+ games, and if the chemistry isn't there, or Vanek indicates that he's not interested in sticking around past the season, they can ship him out to a contender and make back some of what they gave away.

And the biggest takeaway for me is they brought a guy in who's making $6mm+ THIS year. It's a sign that the club finally means business, and that ownership has the means and intent to invest in improving the team.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

unless you sign him to an extension, it was a one-sided trade, not in your favor.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

which is why the trade should have been for both vanek and miller, not just one.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't love the trade,,,,,,,,we gave up too much,,,,they are almost the same guy in my eyes,,,,,but then u throw in picks ? Scratching my head,,,,,,,I hope there is more to come and that this makes more sense

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Nice win over the Bruins last nite,,,,,

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well, that's why they got Vanek. Ultimately, unless they either sign him long-term or win the Cup this year none of it matters.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Team struggling,,,,Vanek hurt,,,,,ugh,,,,,hopefully they can start playing better real soon,,but 6- 8 is not cutting it,,,,,,lots of hockey left to be played

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's all about defense, and depth. The islanders have neither. I'm appalled that we got rid of streit, Garth Snow needs to be fired, he is terrible.

He is another milbury.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Garth is a far cry from the Matt millen of the NHL. Milbury was nothing but a huge long running joke

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Just watched a nice game,,,,nice win by the the isles over the red wings :up:

11. statjeff22

Were you there, CBG? My wife and daughter and I were there in Section 328. It was a good game, but it's a shame they gave up the goal in the last minute, since they dominated play.

12. MikeIneedajob

MikeIneedajob Member

Streit got a ridiculous contract from the Flyers. Thank god they didn't sign him.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Statjeff,,,,,,no I was not there,,,watched on tv,,,,,I go to a few games a year,,just not last nite. Glad u guys saw a good game :up:

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Oh man these islanders are killing me,,,hopefully they snap this ridiculous skid tonight

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Nice beating the rangers lastnite but what a horrendous loss tonight,,,,3 - 1 lead in the 3 rd and they lose,,,ugh

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I believe yesterday,,,,Garth Snow reached Matt Millen status and then some,,,,,,the trade was unreal,,,,,to think the isles hot more back by trading macdonald or better yet look what Moulson brought back yesterday,,,,talk about the dysfunctional Knicks all you want they got nothing on Wang and Garth,,,,,they are cose but no cigar,,,,,just fire Garth now or better yet have him just show some self respect and resign

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's embarrassing what is taking place on Long Island. I truly am a sad islander fan, this is a farm team.

I hope Wang makes a change before they come to Brooklyn, he needs a guy with some hockey sense in that position of GM.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Freeman,,,it's beyond embarrassing when you long for Millbury and Spano,,,,,the worst part of this all is Wang is clueless,,,he probably thinks Snow is doing a good job ! Worse yet,,,,,Snow is Teflon,,,I feel he is untouchable and that Wang loves this guy,,,Snow is what Isaiah Thomas was to Dolan and the Knicks,,,,,,sad but true ,,,,,,,

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Snow is as good as gone; no way he survives this debacle. the good thing about Wang's cluelessness is that he doesn't interfere. if he can hire someone that knows what the hell he is doing at least we know he will stay the hell out of his way.

amazing how Snow took a team everybody thought was on the rise right back into complete rebuilding mode. and the season started out well before the Vanek trade; the Isles never needed him.

20. statjeff22

Every general manager makes bad trades, but every once in a while there are trades that everyone knew were ridiculous the moment they were made, turn out even worse than expected, and set a franchise back for years. Think Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields, Nolan Ryan, Don Rose, Leroy Stanton, and Francisco Estrada for Jim Fregosi, Eric Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, two first-round picks and $15 million, Herschel Walker for five players and seven draft picks, including a #1, Bill Russell for Ed Macauley and Cliff Hagan. The best you can say about Snow is that this trade isn't quite as awful as those were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.