2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Penguins are a pretty good team, so it is a disappointing loss but shouldn't be a surprise they were able to put together a second dominating game in the series. but the Isles have shown they can play with them, so now it is on to a game six that we should all still feel pretty good about our chances.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Coliseum will be rocking tommorrow, just hold serve at home and game 7 can be stolen w with superior goaltending

3. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Isles play well at home. I think they can force a game 7. Not impressed with Vokoun. And on a side note, doesn’t Tyler Kennedy look like he has downs syndrome?

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Tyler Kennedy for some reason always reminds me of a Sidney Crosby twin with that down syndrome

[​IMG]

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

They should be hitting more, but to me the biggest flaw was that they didn't go to the net at all. With a goalie who is aggressive in cutting down the angles you have to crash the net, since there will inevitably be opportunities at open nets.

Tavares, Crosby, and Ovechkin finalists for the Hart. I'll be shocked if Crosby doesn't get it; the voters won't penalize him for being injured. Ovechkin was horrible for half of the season (and after his pathetic lack of effort on the 4th Ranger goal on Wednesday the league would probably be mortified if he won). Tavares is too young and under the radar, and had a negative +/-, which I'm sure voters will hold against him (they'll also hold being on the Islanders against him). This would be his "coming out" party, and if the team is more successful next year and he is their best player he'd have a much better shot.

6. matt robinson 17

Taveres really deserves it, but Ovie is close, forget Cinderella, the 2nd best player on an all star team is not an mvp

7. statjeff22

Totally dominated the series, totally dominated the game, totally dominated the overtime, but lose. That's what a difference in talent will do. Nabokov was also just awful in this series

8. matt robinson 17

Admirable season by Isles, but 1st on their shopping list is a franchise goaltender

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Got a face like a pig.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And the refs scewed them like a two dollar ho, just like they are screwing Washington.

Phantom call earlier in the series(breathing on Crosby?) allows Pitt to forge a tie, then a win.

And tonight....two trips in 20 seconds, just before the tying goal.

And the ridiculously quick whistles in the offensive end. The first one would have ended up with a puck in the net.

But...for me at the end of the day....there was one determining factor in this series.

The Islanders abject refusal to put a body on Crosby. They played like he had a three foot force field around him.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

What a disappointing loss,,,,I was at the game tonight and the crowd had juice,,it was just like old times,,,,,team had the lead and was out shooting and for the most part out playing them,,,,,the game tying goal was a back breaker going off Nielsen ,,,,,,heads are high we hung with these guys but its about winning,,, moral victories suck in this case ! Team has a bright future but man it would have been nice to send Crosby n the pens packing

12. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

this team played with a ton of heart. what a fun series to watch. the effort was there, obviously the outcome was not. as a devils fan, who's father is a lifelong diehard islanders fan, i was rooting for them all series. i wish the devils played with the kind of balls and determination that the islanders did. Tavares and Grabner are studs. IMO Nabokov wasn't terrible but could have been better. the real weakness for hte islanders i believe is their defense. If they had a top-flight, Norris trophy caliber defenseman then i think they would have won this series. they outplayed the Pens tonight, but the difference in talent is what shaped the outcome

13. matt robinson 17

If Nabby played a little better you would have beaten the NHL'S love child in 6

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So far the islanders have played really well and are fun to watch,,,,keep it up boys !

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

It is always nice to win,,,especially against Crosby and the Penguins,,,,,keep it up boys !

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

did they really build a building that had no plans for hockey? holy fucking bunch of retards batman.

i am just amazed at that. i mean jeez i understand that they didnt have plans to have hockey there. but shit man have a fucking plan for it.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Aleycat. Sure appears that way,,,,,I guess it is no worse than Yankee stadiums bleachers with tvs out there,,,,or have you heard about the obstructed seats at the garden and or how you cannot see the scoreboard from some locations ?
    Then there's that warehouse of a stadium called MetLife but I stray this is the islander thread. :up:

18. Mitch_Dumstein

Speaking of bad moves....

The Islanders just acquired Vanek, probably a one season rental from the Sabres for Moulson...to be fair, probably also gone next season, their 2014 first round pick and another pick in 15

Vanek may be good for marginally 5-10 more points than Moulson this season playing with JT at a pretty significant cost

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

#98 Mitch_Dumstein, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  19. statjeff22

In my 40+ years as an Islanders fan I've seen the best GM in the history of the sport (Bill Torrey) and the worst (Mike Milbury), but Garth Snow is starting to challenge Milbury. I can see the benefit of shaking up a team that is inconsistent and underperforming, and Vanek is a bit better than Moulson, but when both players are going to become UFAs at the end of the season the most you give up in addition to Moulson is a mid-round draft pick. To give up a #1 and a #2 and your second-best player for a guy who at best will cost you lots of money to keep and at worst will leave at the end of the year strikes me as ridiculous.

The only reason you do this is that you think this guy is the one missing piece to winning a Cup, but unless the Islanders have a plan for a trade for an elite goalie that we don't know about they're not winning the Cup any time soon.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

horrible, horrible trade for NYI. I cant make any sense of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.