2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

very good win tonight against the Oilers,,,ho sang gets his first goal and the good guys get 2 pts. I still realize this team is in over their heads but nice to see them playing hard !

Red Menace likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't think this team is in over its head; they are clearly better since the coaching change. It's simply a shame management blew half a season and we are fighting for a playoff spot that we likely could have had much more separation from.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

JETBLUE I hear you but I FEEL that this team can make the playoffs and possibly steal a round with a hot goaltender but too many other teams are just better/deeper than us. I just am sick of hoping that Nelson,Strome and Lee will decide to show up in big time situations

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It is a shame, and Snow should be fired immediately for it, Capuano was a bum who could not develope the young players and had no hockey experience to glean from.

Doug was a great player who played with awesome players and obviously learned not just the ins and outs of the game, but has the wisdom to apply his knowledge.

This team would have 3 or 4 players with 25 to 30 goals if Doug was named coach in the beginning of this down fall.

The defense still needs to tighten up but for now, if they can be above .500 at the end of this road trip, I believe they can make playoffs.

5. Red Menace

Lee has 25 goals for the season, that's playing with a weak Bailey.

Strome is gaining his confidence back and has 12 goals which include being a healthy scratch under Capuano most of the first half of the season.

Nelson is not a physical player and hopefully Doug can find a way to get him to make a commitment to playing better defense, he set up Ladd last night after winning a puck battle behind the net.

It's a matter of time, let them get comfortable with the new system that Doug has installed, it's going to take more that 15 games for these guys to change what they knew.

#865 Red Menace, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace I hear you,,,,,I just hate Bailey----I know he is having a decent year but we could put anyone on JT shoulder and he SHOULD put up decent numbers----I dont hate Lee or Strome (who I know was jerked by Cappy and when he actually played ,was on the wing at center all over the place and out of position most of the time ) but NELSON----really irks me ! Looks like Tarzan plays like Cheetah ! I would of had zero problem getting rid of 2 of these guys and getting a player back if possible to play with JT . I wish we had a winger for JT

7. Red Menace

I'm on board with wanting Bailey gone, he's had 7 years to step up and become a much better player than he is.

The problem is balance, you can't drop Bailey and put him on a weaker line with Strome, Brock, he won't do anything with them, so he has to stay on the top line.

Maybe if they make the playoffs they can move him down and play with a short bench.

Other than that the isles are stuck with him, the only thing we can hope for is that Joshua Ho-Sang replaces him as JTs left winger.

CBG likes this.
  8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Big win last night 4-3 in OT over the Canucks. Still a point ahead of the Leafs for WC 2. One game left on the 9 game road trip and so far 5-2-1. I wish we had a reliable backup as Greiss is going wear down playing every game.

9. Red Menace

The team is playing with so much confidence, glad Mayfield is not in lineup, he was a disaster. Anders Lee is turning into the PF the Islanders need.

Halak should be called up as a backup and Berube should be sent down.

10. JetBlue

I was ready to move on from Halak but I agree. He's available and playing great down there. The three goalie nonsense failed but he should be up at this point.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Why is Berube still on an NHL roster? He is terrible, it's not even about bad bounces, the guys is not an NHL goalie.

Snow should have handled this already, bring up Halak. It's so infuriating to see how this team is so slow to react to major problems.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They STILL are who I thought they were !

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

The problem is that Greiss is tired, they don't want to play Berube because he will be pulled in the first period.

Greiss is gonna have to dig deep, but the defense is just not getting it done. They can't get the pick out of the zone.

The offense put pressure on the Jets, but the puck did not bounce well for the Islanders.

#873 Red Menace, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If only we had a goalie playing in Bridgeport we could call up that would be a solid backup to Greiss. CBJ, NYR, PITT, BOS are the next 4 games. Do or die coming up. Why our POS GM keeps a minor league goalie on the roster when everyone knows Greiss/Halak is best G combo we have. You are right about the D. They must play better otherwise it doesn't matter who is in G.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

GOT THE POINT but tough loss today

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Mayfield not hitting the forward as he came across the blue line allowed him to score that second goal and Bailey in OT not staying with Atkinson is unforgivable, I really don't understand why he is even allowed on the ice in OT, it was not a good pairing.

17. JetBlue

Gotta root for Tampa Bay regulation win tonight.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Everything went the Isles way last night with the Senators beating the Bruins and the Coyotes over the Lighting and both wins coming in regulation. The Isles have no excuses tonight. They are rested and playing their most bitter rivals who had to go to OT last night against the Devils. If the Isles can win and the Blue Jackets beat the Leafs in Columbus then the Isles are right back in the mix.

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg we will see this evening,,,,also I dont know if Ranta will have to play back to back nights or if Lundquist comes back,,,,,also I have to admit rest is good but sometimes I hate the layoffs

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think AV said that Lundqvist was going to play over the weekend but not tonight. The Rangers really are in a good position as WC 1. They end up in the Atlantic bracket Montreal, Ottawa, B;s or Leafs and wouldn't have to face who comes out of the Metro bracket until the EC Finals. Looking at it from their side they probably figure let the Caps, Pens, or Blue Jackets kill each other. WC 1 is definitely the best way to go. As for the Isles I say no excuses. If they want any realistic chance to make the playoffs it has to start tonight, They need to leave MSG with 2 points.

CBG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.