2009 Jets defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

With Favre, I think we win a Super Bowl with Rex. And he would have actually enjoyed the atmosphere unlike Mangini's team.
    Even with Pennington, as a smart game manager who protected the ball would have complimented those defenses perfectly.

The Jets never have the right pieces at the same time.

tbruner12, Jake and Walt White like this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always lamented not taking that coarse with the QB with that team.
    We prolly would've had better records in the regular season too and maybe could've secured a damn home game for once in the AFC Championship game.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Nonsense. A better QB like Big Ben? Big Ben was brutal that game. Sanchez was the way better QB that day. That's above and beyond what you could ask of a second year QB going against a veteran future HOF QB on the road. I know it's hard for some of you to not blame Sanchez for everything but the truth is that if stopped the run like we did ALL YEAR, we would have won easily.

4. BacktoQueens

lol nonsense to you. Sanchez put up 17pts, and let up 7.
    an offensive net of 10pts is not enough to get it done in playoffs.

a QB simply recognizing that blitz and protecting the ball changes the entire game. We could have used a veteran QB ourselves for that team.
    our run D definitely also bears some blame as well, I'll agree with that.

tbruner12 likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe could have put up more points if our great defense was able to stop them and give the offense more possessions. I think they had a 10 minute advantage on time of possession. Like the OP of this thread attempts to convey, we were an all time defense. Unfortunately, this all time defense TWICE didn't show up in the most important games of season.

"Some blame" LOL? Jets fans or should I say Sanchez haters crack me up. If I told Jets fans prior to the game that the 2 QBs would have the stats line below, we all would predicted a win going away knowing what kind of defense we had. But revisionist historian Jet fans want to blame the game mostly on the fact a 2nd year QB failed to recognize a blitz...GTFOH!

M. Sanchez 60.6 CMP% 233 YDS 2 TDs 0 INT 2 FUM 1 LOST 102.2 RTG
    B. Roethlisberger 52.6 CMP% 133 YDS 0 TDs 2 INTs 2 FUM 0 LOST 35.5 RTG

Burnz likes this.
  6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The one problem with that defense was pass rush. Other than that, they were GREAT. Revis was on fire that entire season. Jim Leonhard was a good QB for the defense. Probably the best Jets defense in their history.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Schotty lost that game for the Jets. Run defense was bad in the first half. I remember the game like it was yesterday. After the game, I was drunk crying in the fetal position with an empty bottle of Jamo ... ok maybe I didn't cry but yeah it was a punch to the gut.

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Jets were emotionally spent coming into that game. They just went into NE and beat Brady and the week before went into Indy and beat Manning. Now they go into Pitt. Tough to blame them for starting slow

First possession of the game I recall the Jets forced a 3 and out then the refs jumped in to save the Steelers with some BS penalty to keep the drive going. Jets looked like they were going to hold them to a FG attempt...Roethlisberger 12 yard scramble on 3rd and 12. Pittsburgh scored a TD on that drive.

We really needed the Bowles strategy of quitting before the half in that game. No reason Sanchez needed to be dropping back on 3rd and 17 in a 17-0 game. Just try to get it into the half where it is and go from there. But no

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

To me with Sanchez(I was not a hater) always showed up in the 4th Q and in the playoffs. Literally one of the better JETS QB's for a while but they have always been atrocious

10. BacktoQueens

Lmao, so Sanchez producing a net of 10 offensive points is the defenses fault?
    total cop out man.
    TOP is a two way street. 3 and outs and failed offensive drives had a lot to do with it.

as for Big Ben's numbers, you think maybe our D had something to do with that?
    Sanchez couldn't do anything against Pitt's D until they let off the blitz with a comfortable lead.

Those teams would have been nothing without the D.
    A better QB protecting the football and managing games, we would have been a lot more successful.
    Sanchez was never the right fit on a veteran team built on Defense.

11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It's possible. Though with Favre you just don't know. At any given time he can throw the most idiotic interceptions and sink a team in the blink of an eye. Though of course would've taken him in 2009 over Sanchez