2009 Jets defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 9, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Allowed 1.04 pts per drive. Lowest this decade per PFF.

Whats crazy is that PFF ranked them the 2nd least effective pass rushing team in the league

Kudos to Rex and Revis.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Didn't you hear? Mangini deserves the credit despite the fact they were ranked 16th the year before under him.

3. legler82

On the topic of Rex, the recent Gruden signing to the Raiders reminded me of Rex in that Rex loved being a Jet the way Gruden loves being a Raider. I think that alone made some of the extracurricular stuff tolerable.

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That was a very hard luck 9-7 team but we actually caught a break later in the year with Polian resting the Colts starters (Dungy was nothing more than a do nothing puppet, Manning/Polian/Tom Moore was that team) and then a Bengals team that had nothing to play for week 17. But it should've never even come to that. With even an average QB that team is probably 11-5 if not better.

Wish Favre stuck around. They had the D, they had the offensive line, they had the running game.

tbruner12, JetBlue and blackssmagic like this.
  5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If Favre stuck around and Kris Jenkins stays healthy.... damn.

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

My guess is it is ranked ineffective because we regularly sent 7 or so guys after the QB. It usually ended in an incompletion, not a sack, so "ineffective" but the second best defense I've seen since the 1999 Ravens (or whenever they won, was it 2000?)

playtowinthegame and stinkyB like this.
  7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That defense was terrific on a play by play basis, but due to having such a poor conventional pass rush, always had trouble stopping teams at the end of games, and as a result, actually blew several games on the final drive (@Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta). Hence, I'd argue that even though it was a statistically dominant defense, it wasn't truly a great defense in practice.

Also, Peyton absolutely shredded that defense in the AFC title game. That 17-6 lead evaporated way too quickly.

Also, we had such a good running game to compliment it.

It's definitely the best Jets defense I have ever seen, though.

Tbh, Favre could have easily thrown away the AFC title game with 3-4 brutal interceptions. In his prime (94 - 02 ish), Favre was one of the best passers ever. But, he was just SO mistake prone later in his career and threw so many brutal, game-changing, season-defining interceptions in big games.

Royal Tee and FJF like this.
  8. slimjasi

Nah, the 2002 Bucs had a better defense, IMO.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Valid point. He didn't look too bad for us before he tore his bicep though. We probably could've won the division and hosted playoff games.

I think Kris Jenkins being a part of the 09/10 playoffs would've changed things too. Worst part is we traded a 2nd and 3rd rounder for him. At the time nobody batted an eye but losing those picks hurt us long term badly, and we got only 1.25 seasons out of Jenkins. Christ he was a monster though.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2013 Seattle Seahawks was better then both the Bucs defense and ours. That defense to me is 2nd behind the Ravens defense in 2000. Gruden knew the Raiders playbook.

11. slimjasi

Maybe. I’d probably favor the bucs because I think they had a better pass rush. But it’s super close. Seahawks were great too.

Yeah, the raiders had no chance in that game in hindsight, which is funny because they were favored and almost everyone seemed to be picking them.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Bucs and Seattle certainly had more success (Superbowl wins) and a bit more longevity in their dominance, but I think, at least in the regular season, that Jets defense is second best. What they did to opposing QB's was insane.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Play like a Jet!!!

About five minutes after the Jets poopcanned his fat @ss it was

Play like a Bill!!!!!

A total fraud.

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

One of the greatest Ds, runs (2009-2015) of all time. They'll never get the recognition they deserve because they didn't win it all.

Thanks to Rex playing QBs who gave us some of the worst QB play imaginable.

The ironic thing is the one guy he wouldn't give a chance, Tim Tebow, was PERFECT for that team. He didn't turn over the football, he managed the game then at the end of games when it was Tebow Time he would've delivered. The Jets could've played a ugly WINNING brand of football.

That Jets defense was so much better than what Tebow had in Denver.

The Jets would've OWNED this town with Tebow and they woulda been a national story.

We never got to see it because Rex thought Buttfumble gave the Jets the best chance to win.

tbruner12 and egelband like this.
  15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I really did love Rex. I absolutely thought letting him go when they did was the right call, as the team wasn't getting any better and his shtick was wearing thin.

I was really hoping he took the Atlanta job, I would have rooted so hard for him. Couldn't root for Buffalo though.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

yeah and just how Seattle dismantled the Broncos in the SB was incredible. Great defenses, but our defense had no longevity ... Seattle defense is no longer dominant; Legion of Boom on its last limbs ..

17. legler82

Buttfumble didn't lose those AFCCGs.

18. tubby

tubby Active Member

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Whole team including Sanchez came out flat in the first half in 2010. Valiant effort on the comeback, but too little, too late.
    2009 was the opposite. Looked great in the first half, sucked in the 2nd half.

slimjasi and Jets_Grinch like this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

that fumble 6 against the Steelers was pretty devastating.
    Sanchez was so easy to blitz, as he wouldn't recognize it pre snap. Led to a lot of turnovers.

With a better QB I think we win a Super Bowl in there.

tbruner12 likes this.