2009-10 World Champion Yankees Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by GQMartin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Needed to start this thread because I heard Buster Olney on 1050 this morning. He expects the Yankees to spend the most on free agency yet again (all the while cutting pay roll).

What's your thoughts on top free agent signings?
    1.) M. Holliday?
    2.) Starting Pitching?
    3.) Starting Pitching?

10.) Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui??

#1 GQMartin, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I'll get to this after the parade sir. The next 48 hours are the celebration and then we talk about the need to get younger in the lineup, the 4th starter situation and what the team should do about Hughes/Joba.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This thread should have been titled "2009 Champion's Offseason Thread," maybe a Yankees mod can help out?

And I'm not waiting to talk about the path to 28.

I don't really think I want back either Matsui or Damon. I did, but both are getting older, and either has to be a full-time DH. I much prefer to start batting Posada at DH at least half the week while Cervelli starts getting some starts (and looking forward to Montero--and quietly hoping we can lure Mauer.)

Holliday is obvious. If he at all wants to be a Yankee, he will be. There is a breaking report that St. Louis has offered him 6 years, $96M. Currently they're denying it, and Boras is supposedly pursuing Teixeira money (surprise!)

The guy I want most to return is Andy Pettitte. He started the year as a great #5 option, and ended it as the clear #3, and arguably the most valuable starter not named Sabathia.

Hughes and Joba both should get the opportunity to start out of Spring Training. I'm anxious to see Kennedy get another shot too. If Andy returns, whoever from the young guns doesn't make the rotation should stay with the club in the pen as the 7th inning guy.

Robertson deserves the 8th inning.

Is Marte a FA? If so, I now want him back. He and Coke should be formidable in the pen.

Center field needs a good looking at. Gardner is just not the long-term answer. I'm a big Melky fan, but he makes me give the tv the stink-eye as often as not. When the hell is AJax going to be ready? (This is his first real year for a shot I think, right? Or is he still one more year off?) I'd wait one more year for Jackson if they honestly feel he'll be ready next year.

That's enough for now.

4. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

they signed marte for 3 yrs 12 mill last year. not bad.

i would like to see the yankees make a run at aroldis chapman. 21 year old lefty cuban. throws 100 mph with plus offspeed pitches. unproven commodity, but would be an exciting player to watch.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hmph, I don't even remember Marte being re-signed. Cool.

I've heard Chapman's name before, but I don't know anything about him. I don't mind pursuing him, but I really want to give our homegrowns a chance (even Wang actually.)

Buying championships is nice, but I'd like to groom our own talent too, and finally shut everyone up who forgets that the dynasty was as homegrown as pretty much any team is.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I really hope Mauer stays with the Twins. My favorite players always leave my Twinkies.

7. I can see keeping Damon as a DH/PH/extra outfielder type.He's just a great situational hitter. Matsui I believe is gone. He's a great offensive player but he can contribute nothing in the field and he is way too streaky in the batter's box.

I would bring back Marte, Coke and Robertson for the bullpen and would make Joba a permanent late inning fixture. Hughes should have some confidence going into next season to finally settle into a starter's role. I also think Petitte should come back. Itll be interesting to see what happens w/ Wong and he could be in a 4 way battle w/ Kennedy,Hughes, and Gauden for 2 spots.

I'm not sure how I feel about Holliday. He's obviously a great young player, but he's yet another power guy. If this line-up has any weakness it is that we have too many big time power hitters and not enough contact hitting "small ball" types. He's also gonna command big time money. By the same token...this outfield def. needs an upgrade. Swisher/Melky/Gardner and even possibly Austin jackson,Damon and Nady...simply isn't elite and can most def. be upgraded. A long term outfield of Melky/Jackson/Holliday w/ Damon and Swisher as extra's does appear pretty promising.

As exciting as this WS was...this is gonna be an extremely exciting and intriguing offseason.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Gardner absolutely sucks, he is nothing more than a pinch runner.

AJAX should get a shot at CF and Melky should play Left

EDIT: I agree with Alio we should change the thread's name to "2009 World Series Champions Off Season Thread" please.

I think if they can get Hideki for 3 million/1 year, I'd sign him

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If he doesn't become a Yankee, I'd like him to stay with the Twins too.

Damon should be gone for the same reason as Matsui. Both are defensive liabilities. As good as both can hit when they're hot, they're both 1 dimensional DHs at this point. And that's a role Posada needs to fill sooner than later.

I think Joba has the best chance of winding up back in the pen. I don't really like that, but I'd say Hughes and Kennedy have the better shot at making the rotation. (Though Kennedy is obviously just my gut, considering he's had such difficulty in the past.)

Joba doesn't want to pitch in relief though, so who knows how that will turn out.

Gaudin barely has a chance to be on the roster in April, much less start a game for the Yankees.

This team isn't designed for small ball. As we've now seen, you can win a title without it. Holliday is a huge upgrade over Damon. Buy.

Melky and Swisher platooning in right might be interesting if Jackson makes the team. Obviously Melky can fill in all three OF positions to rest everyone.

It will surely be interesting.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Holliday would tear shit up in Yankees stadium

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Mauer is my favorite non yankee player...That guy is simply the best player in baseball.

i want him on the yankees :)

12. afternoondelight

-i would like to see joba fill in the 8th inning role.
    - i would like to see hughes in the rotation
    -i want posada to move to dh
    - cervelli the new catcher
    -keep damon
    - dont sign matsui
    - lf jason bay, cf melky, rf hinske. off bench swisher, nady, gardner
    -rotation... cc, aj, hughes, wang, free agent pick up

13. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Unless he signs a home-town-discount extension w/the Twins, he WILL be a Yankee. :beer:
    I would expect he gets at least Teixeira money. Young, high character, hitting machine, premium position.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This thread is the definition of New York sports. We just won the World Series! :lol:

I think over half of the questions to Cashman after the game were about 2010. Let the guy celebrate for a day atleast! :)

15. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

I'm only saying 1 thing because I could give a shit about the offseason 12 hours later...

Joba setup man

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

wow! can we even get to the parade first?

17. IATA

IATA Trolls

And you would just let Pettite go? You would rather see Wang, Hughes and a FA than Andy Pettite?

Alio is spot on about Damon/Matsui. They both should go, niether has much left in the tank.

Bay won't be a Yankee. He's going to either be a Red Sox/Giant/Mariner/Dodger.

18. afternoondelight

im assuming pettite on retiring.. if he doesn't hed obviously be in the rotation

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

Last night he said he'd be back.

20. afternoondelight

oh, didn't see that.

well then pettite is in