2007 Jets Mock Offseason and Draft....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by YoungJet, Nov 27, 2006.

1. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

2007 Free Agents: CB A. Samuel, OG Kris Dielman, DE/DT Ian Scott

2007 Resign: Victor Hobson, Anthony Clement, Dave Ball, Sean Ryan, Rashad Moore, Cotchery(extention), Hodgins, Poteat, Bryan Thomas

Trade J-Mac for 6th round pick
    Release: Blaylock, Kimo, Barrett

2007 Draft:
    1. OLB Lamar Woodley 6'2" 260 Michigan
    2. RB Michael Bush 6'2" 247 Louisville
    2. DE Adam Carricker 6'6" 295 Nebraska
    3. FB Brian Leonard 6'2" 235 Rutgers
    5. S Josh Gattis 6'1" 212 Wake Forrest
    6. RT Chris Denman 6'6" 315 Fresno State
    7. WR Renard Stevens 6'5" 220 West Liberty State

Players I would look at as RFA's or as late round picks if "Tangini" aquires extra late round picks like they seemed to have done last year:

RB Kolby SMith 5'11" 215 Louisville
    T/G Josh Linehan 6'5" 310 Oregon State
    OLB/DE Martin Jackson 6'4" 255 Alcron State
    MLB Kevin McCullough 6'2" 245 Cincinnati
    CB Brenan Spain 5'10" 180 SE Missouri State
    OLB/DE Michael McFadden 6'2" 255 Grand Valley State
    TE Brent Celek 6'4" 260 Cincinnati
    OT Andre Bennett 6'6" 350 Grambling
    DE/OLB/DT Eric Foster 6'2" 255 Rutgers
    QB Aries Nelson 6'3" 215 Mississippi Valley State

2007 Roster:

QB: Pennington, Ramsey, Clemens
    RB: Bush, Washington, Barlow, Houston (rotation)
    FB: Leonard, Ryan
    WR: Coles, Smith
    WR: Cotchery, Dwight, Stevens
    TE: Baker, Ryan, Pociask, Dearth
    LT: Ferguson, Jones
    LG: Kendall, Teague
    C: Mangold, Teague
    RG: Dielman, Moore
    RT: Clement, Denman
    LE: Ellis, Hamilton, Ball
    NT: Robertson, Moore, Pouha
    RE: Scott, Carricker (rotation)
    LOLB: Hobson, Chatham
    ILB: Barton, Kassell
    ILB: Vilma, Shlegal
    ROLB: Thomas/Woodley (rotation)
    CB: Samuel, Miller, Coleman
    FS: Rhodes, Gattis
    SS: Coleman, Smith
    CB: Dyson, Poteat
    LS: Dearth
    K: Nugent
    P: Graham
    KR: Miller
    PR: Dwight

Practice Squad:
    DE/DT Titus Adams
    WR Wallace Wright
    MLB Kevin McCullough
    NT Keyonta Marshall
    TE Brent Celek
    T/G Josh Linehan Oregon State
    OLB/DE Martin Jackson Alcron State
    CB Brenan Spain SE Missouri State

#1 YoungJet, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

1) I think a lot of people are forgetting that we signed Ramsey to a one-year extension. Only mention that b/c he isn't on your depth chart, or in any moves.

2) I highly doubt that Brian Leonard will be available during the middle of the 3rd round. He is a mid-2nd round pick.

3) I also think that we may sign Rhodes to an extension this off-season

4) I would love Asante Samual. He is a very good cornerback who always seems to come up big when needed. He is also still fairly young, going into his prime.

5) I think that Von Oelhoffen will be back next year, and probably still starting. He will probably split time with whatever Rookie DE we draft.

6) Instead of having Hobson & Woodley as our OLB, I would much rather see Thomas & Woodley. Thomas has been great in stopping the run, and putting pressure on the QB at times. Honestly though, we will probably rotate them

3. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I can tell you that Asanta Samual will be a highly coveted FA next year. Especially after that game he had against Chicago.

4. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

What's wrong with Brandon Moore?

If Thomas is resigned it's going to be for starters money, otherwise he'll walk.

5. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

So, we're resigning Hobson and Thomas, as well as signing a FA DE, then we're drafting a DE/OLB and another DE two rounds later?

That doesn't make much sense......

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Samuel like Mangini? He may want to play in New York or Cleveland.

7. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

"So, we're resigning Hobson and Thomas, as well as signing a FA DE, then we're drafting a DE/OLB and another DE two rounds later?

That doesn't make much sense......"

Why doesn't it maske much sense? Drafting Carricker has nothing to do with Thomas, Hobson, and Woodley...he plays a completely different position. DE and OLB are not the smae thing, especially not in the 3-4. As for resigning both Hobson and Thoams and then drafting Woodley, Both Mangini and Mike T have said that they want to go into the draft not needing any position and coupled with that both Hobsob and Thomas are picking up their play, They will definitly resign one, but probably both. We still need a pass rusher and Woodley fills that role very well. I should have put Thomas first on the depth chart, so I'll change that.
    Now as for signing Scott and drafting Carricker, Kimo is clearly not getting the job done and therefore a chaneg at the position in needed, also depth at the position is needed therefore signing Scott and drafting Carricker makes sense.
    As for Moore, nothing is wrong with him, however I think bringing in a guard to compete with him and rotate in would be very beneficial. In this istuation I see Dielman beating out Moore by the start of the season.

Ramsey totally slipped my mind, he'll be added as well.

8. The Predator

I'm sorry, but it still doesn't make sense. And I know damn well that DE and OLB are two different things.

But are you forgetting that we have Shaun Ellis? Because there's no need to go out and spend FA money on a DE then draft one on the first day as well.

Then we resign both of out OLB's only to draft another one with our first round pick? We don't play three OLB's. If your thinking they will switch in and out, thats not very smart considering Thomas will get paid good starter money after this season, and Hobson will be making decent money as well. There is no reason to tie up a ton of money on three players when there are only two spots on the field.

I just think it's stupid to stockpile OLB/DE (I know depth is important, but so is the salary cap). If we only resign one of the Thomas/Hobson duo then I'm fine with that. Same thing if we only draft or sign one of Carricker/Scott. But there is really no reason to have them stockpiled when we have other needs on the team.

9. YoungJet

YoungJet Member

So according to you then we shoulkd resign only 1 OLB...ok. So what If Woodley took time to learn the system, or he or the other starter got hurt? Its nice to have depth, especially if you have the money for it. As far as DE goes, the same thing applies, you want depth. Ian Scott is not a top flight player by any means, he is a back up in Chicago and would be a rotational player here. Its not like I said lets go sign Richard Seymour and draft Carricker or its not like we are resigning Merriman and then drafting Woodley. Depth is a very important thing to have, as is having competition at positions. Having multiple people who can rotate is key in the 3-4.

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

I like the draft, but i dont think it makes sense to draft both Bush and Leonard. Theyre both fast(for their size) power backs and i dont think we need two. I prefer Leonard over Bush because he can do more. Also, i would cut Barlow. Hes a waste. With Washington, Houston and Leonard we should be set. I like the Gattis pick, is he going to eventually replace Coleman?

11. The Predator

Yes, I am aware of the importance of depth, but I don't think we need to bring in all these extra guys. We already have some depth (especially at LB). At DE we are a little thin, whatever, sign Scott, but we don't need to bring in two more LB's if we would already have Vilma, Barton, Hobson, Thomas, Kassel, Chatham, Schegel, Draft Pick, and FA. (plus the scrubs we already have on the roster that I didn't mention)

#11 The Predator, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

After the Askew pick, why do we draft another FB on day one?

I would take at least one offensive lineman on day one. We could use a starting right tackle and at least one starting guard. Kendall and Clement aren't getting any younger. Moore is not making the pro bowl any time soon.

We have all seen what our rookie linemen have done for our team this year. If we rebuild the line, it won't matter who plays RB.

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Perfect offseason would to be able to get Ken Hamlin, S, and Eric Steinbach, G
    in free agency and somehow someway to get Lamarr Wooodley and Marshawn Lynch in the 07 draft.

14. James Hasty

If we get Ken Hamlin AND Eric Steinbach does it really matter who we draft?

Those two would help us immediately on both sides of the ball in a very big way.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Free Agents: SS D-Nickey Titans; RT T-Pashos Ravens; DE K-Coleman Cowboys; TE David Martin Packers

Resignees/Extensions: DE D-Ball; NT R-Moore; OLB B-Thomas; FB J-Hodgins; FS K-Rhodes

Trades: LB J-Vilma for a 2nd round pick
    NT D-Robertson for a 3rd round pick

Releases: RB D-Blaylock; DE K-Von Oelhoffen; WR J-McCareins

2007 Draft:
    1. RB Marshawn Lynch 5'11" 217 lbs California
    2. DE Adam Carricker 6'6" 295 Nebraska
    2. C/OG Kyle Young 6'5" Fresno St
    2. CB Aaron Ross 6'1" 192 lbs Texas
    3. ILB Desmond Bishop 6'2" 245 lbs California
    3. OLB Brian Smith 6'4" 235 lbs Missouri
    5. DE/OLB Jay Moore 6'4" 270 lbs Nebraska
    6. WR Paul Williams 6'2" 205 lbs Fresno St
    7. FB Jesse Allen 6'0" 242 lbs Virginia Tech

2007 Roster:
    QB C-Pennington; P-Ramsey; K-Clemens
    RB M-Lynch; L-Washington; K-Barlow
    FB J-Hodgins; J-Allen
    WR L-Coles; P-Williams; T-Dwight
    WR J-Cotchery; B-Smith
    TE C-Baker, D-Martin; S-Ryan; J-Dearth
    LT D-Ferguson; A-Jones
    LG P-Kendall; A-Jones
    C N-Mangold; T-Teague
    RG K-Young; B-Moore
    RT T-Pashos, A-Clement

LE S-Ellis; B-Hamilton: D-Ball
    NT R-Moore; T-Alailefaleula; S-Pouha
    RE K-Coleman; A-Carricker (Rotation)
    LOLB B-Thomas; J-Moore
    LILB E-Barton; B-Kassell
    RILB D-Bishop; A-Schlegel
    ROLB B-Smith; M-Chatham
    LCB A-Dyson; J-Miller
    FS K-Rhodes; E-Smith
    SS E-Coleman; D-Nickey
    RCB D-Barrett; A-Ross
    LS J-Dearth
    K M-Nugent
    P B-Graham
    KR J-Miller
    PR A-Ross

16. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Why would why trade Vilma then draft his replacement in the 3rd round...2nd the guy you drafted wouldn't start ahead of Schlegel

17. knicks3200

knicks3200 New Member

I would be the happiest one alive if we goot woodly and bush in the 1st two rounds

18. James Hasty

Those are two horrible trades.

The Vilma trade is ridiculous (first rounder, defensive rookie of the year, pro bowl player for a second rounder?)

Dwayne Robertson is starting to come around as a DT, also the guy could play DE if we had a better player for the NT. I agree that we could have done better than trading up for him at 4th overall but if we can't get more than a third rounder, why trade him at all?

19. All Star

All Star Active Member

1: Why the heack would we trade Robertson and Vilma...

I do think RObertson can make a pretty good DE, he could lose a couple pounds and fit in nicely with a gigantic NT......... and Vilma may be out of place, but he's better than anyone else I can think of.....

2: I would really like to see McCareins get more playing time, I've always liked him.......

3: I think we have an extra 2nd round pick from the trading down to pick up Kelen Clemens... and an early one at that the way the Redskins are playing >__>

20. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

1. I wouldn't be too opposed to seeing him get a shot there - but Mangini knows the 3-4 defense better then any of us do so he'll decide that.

2. I disagree. He's had his chance to get playing time... and what did he do with it? He took plays off, stopped running on routes and got overthrown, and has just been lazy as hell ever since he's gotten here. I can't trust J-Mac to be the #3.

3. Yes we do. The first mock draft took account for it, and the second has 3 2nd round picks because of the one in the Vilma trade (it hurt to look at it).