15 years after its untimely demise, the XFL is making a comeback

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Yisman, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be like WWE at all. McMahon has already stated that the main goal is the quality of play and speed of the game. They aren't going to use WWE announcers and make it strictly about entertainment like the last one. He believes that's a big reason why it failed. If they can present a game to us that isn't as poorly officiated as the NFL with a similar quality of play and a good pace to it (the goal is to have 2 hour games instead of 3) it will be great. Obviously that's a big IF.

Mcmahon is smart, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this. It has potential. Last time it was all rushed together and didn't take off, because people didn't want sports entertainment, they wanted sports and the quality of play was poor. Vince has acknowledged that it will be different this time, and you can't blame him for trying. With the NFL ratings decline, it's the perfect time to pounce.

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

They can even get players out of HS who would rather play the XFL and get paid than go to college and not get paid.

Plus, Johnny Football needs a job. He'd fit right in.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Gonna hop on a bandwagon so I can finally watch a winner.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

People hopped on a bandwagon in 1968.
    Just saying

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That’s the player’s wives club.

dawinner127 and Dierking like this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Word. Some in 1998 too

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The first game ended on a field goal as regulation time ran out. It was all down hill after that. Still better than the UFL.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The market is flooded with a crappy product. If the XFL can put out a better product, it will get traction. Whether they can do that or not is the question. There's definitely a window here.

How the XFL can win
    1) Steal some big name college players by paying them more then they'd get on a rookie cap NFL deal.
    2) Specifically avoid concussion liability and allow hitting. Bring back "jacked up".
    2a) Allow QB's to get crushed again - they're football players too.
    3) Don't bastardize what a catch is. We all know what a catch looks like.
    4) Allow defenders to play defense without a flag every other play.
    4a) Fuck a defenseless receiver. Let defenders strike fear into receivers catching the ball.
    5) Don't let a overly subjective instant replay system have too much impact on the game. Replay is fine if they make it cut and dry and it's actually fixing blatantly wrong calls. What the NFL has morphed into is shit.
    6) Provide good APIs to the top fantasy football sites.

#28 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They can't skip concussion liability. OSHA will get involved if they return to a standard proven to cause long-term disability.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What does boxing/ufc do?

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Boxing is regulated by several antiquated commissions at this point. They'll get their modernization soon enough. UFC is in it's infancy as a sport. Regulation will happen there also as players begin to age out and the long-term consequences of full contact MMA become known.

Football is a known commodity with many more competitors on the field. The NFL has highlighted the concussion problem and the effects of that exposure are already trickling down to amateur competition. There's no way the XFL gets to run a bloodsport version of football at this point. Trying to do that would just open up the other entities controlled by the owner of the XFL to scrutiny.

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm going to reserve judgement. I don't remember the original but it sounds dumb. Sounds like they've learned a lot. And the NFL gained some from it. Thanks to the XFL, we have overhead cameras and players who are mic'ed up.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

he hate me

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it does blow my mind to see one of these UFC fights and dudes getting beat to hell and then its football that has to deal with all the bitching about head injuries

FJF likes this.
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

1991 - main stream media - boxing still going strong without any trouble and UFC is probably worse.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wins the scramble, chooses to defer

17. Nick the NARP

Nick the NARP Member

I had season tickets. It was a fun way to catch up with my college friends and watch some subpar football. I think season tickets were $50 TOTAL