11-11-18 = Veterans Day

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by CBG, Nov 11, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Taking a moment to remember our Veterans ,to all those who served and to the others who are sadly no longer here ------->Thank You !

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You beat me, CBG. I'll be posting some pics later. Some cool stuff of my Daddy's and some photos, but I have to go through them and then scan them in. Might take me a while. Probably tonight.

3. jetophile

I PMd Cman in late June and asked him when he wasn't too busy if he could track down and merge all of the D-Day threads to keep it all in one place to give it the visibility it deserves. Same thing for Memorial and Vets Day threads. He never got back to me. Either he missed the PM or it was too labor intensive. Hopefully he will see this instead. I don't like to seem like I'm badgering someone so I didn't ask him again.

[​IMG]

hornblower likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey jeto

Good idea, but this is labor intensive. If you can track down the threads and send links to me I can merge them all.

hornblower and CBG like this.
  5. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Just watched the ceremonies from Ottawa this morning. Very moving.
    Thank you to all who served, and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
    Lest we forget.

hornblower, CBG and jetophile like this.
  6. jetophile

OK, I will try at some juncture, I just don't seem to have the greatest luck when trying to hunt things down. I just thought it might be easier on the moderator end, but I'll give it a shot sometime and hopefully I'll be able to find them. There were threads going back several years, but those are probably gone due to a couple of big crashes a long time back. Thanks.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

CBG likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thank God for the Navy and all the other armed service who are on alert to defend this country 24/7..

.and I am happy there were no players taking a knee this past weekend..

My Dad served in WW2 and Korea

But that said ..this country and the world need 3 things more than ever: "Peace Hope and Love".

Brook! likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best way to honor Vets is to make sure all of their needs are met in a timely manner not only while on active duty, but when they return to civilian life. Its not a Political thing, its the Right thing to do...

10. jetophile

@The Waterboy, I thought you'd find this interesting because of your Uncle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...ns-of-tuskegee-airman-killed-in-wwii/10571162

For those not in the know, The Waterboy's Uncle's remains were found many years after his plane was shot down in WWII and his remains were buried with full military honors. Humbling stuff. Feel free to re-post about it.

EDIT: @CBG, I didn't forget about posting what I said I would. I did find a bunch of stuff. I still haven't gotten around to scanning it in. I will, though. Just like I'm going to tell my Willets Pt. Story re: The New Dump! I really will. On both. I swear.

#10 jetophile, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    hornblower and CBG like this.
  11. jetophile

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Always good to hear they identified another.

Thought this was going to be about this one that I read yesterday. https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...f-wwii-soldier-from-west-virginia-identified/ Doesn't say when they originally found him but identified just recently

Found another when pulling that back up,https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...ry-solved-after-years/?utm_term=.135015367f50 .

Saw one a few days ago about a soldier from Florida who signed up after Pearl Harbor but can't find that story now. With advances in technology hopefully they'll be able to identify many more. It may be 70+ years later but it helps gives family that may still be around, closure.

#12 The Waterboy, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    hornblower and jetophile like this.
  13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I walk my dog in the park where the US 82nd Airborne Division were based in WW2. They have a plaque, and a description of events there.

jackie1013, hornblower and jetophile like this.
  14. jetophile

15. jetophile

Today is the 77th Anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jackie1013 likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fucking Germans...

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

changed our world

18. jetophile

I knew that was coming . . . There are still a lot of people who believe Roosevelt knew it was coming, too (not the "Germans", the attack), and there are also some WW2 vets that are still left who concur. I heard a vet on the radio yesterday (and his voice was really strong even though he was in his early 90s, God love him) who was actually there that he'll never forgive it (not Roosevelt, the bombing). War sucks on every level and it makes people do terrible things no matter which side of the fence you're on.

EDIT: Please don't anyone ever waste their time seeing 'Pearl Harbor' with Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale. It's that terrible. I almost walked out. Wait . . .

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/pearl-harbor-2001

"As for the movie's portrait of the Japanese themselves, it is so oblique that Japanese audiences will find little to complain about apart from the fact that they play such a small role in their own raid." Hahahahaha.

#18 jetophile, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  19. jetophile

Richard Overton has passed away at 112.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ri...ld-war-ii-veteran-112-years-old-austin-texas/

He also got identity thefted and robbed of his life savings by a soulless shit bucket. Someone got a hold of his SS # and robbed him blind. He garnered incredible financial support after that, but you have to some asshole from hell to do that to someone. Preying on the elderly, I hope whoever did that dies a violent death. I don't feel bad for saying that, and I don't think that makes me a bad person. RIP Richard Overton, and thank you so much for your service.

20. jetophile