1 Scouts view of this class of QB's...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by abc, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I still find it hard to believe, that with so much money at stake, teams don't take the time to interview family and friends of the draftee, people who know them intimately. That's where the REAL information lies.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Those same people have more incentive to protect their guy then they do to provide potentially incriminating information. If someone actually did give something up along those lines, it would be a hair raising red flag, but even still you'd need to hear it from multiple sources before you could trust the legitimacy of the claim.

If everyone you know is telling the scout that you are peaches and cream, there isn't a whole lot to be gleaned from that besides the fact that your own family and friends don't despise you.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe there's gotta be a way to discreetly gather info without tipping your hand. Moreover, in today's electronic society there's tons of info about each of us that can show our patterns and behavior. If I were an NFL team I would be buying that info.

4. xxedge72x

The flip side of the proliferation of information is that it can cause paralysis through analysis. Sometimes these things can be over scrutinized.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

True, but analyzing the RIGHT data is valuable.

CotcheryFan, NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  6. xxedge72x

Absolutely. I just think in this case that information is hard to come by, and the fact that teams continue to whiff tells that story.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I expect the Browns have pondered signing the first guy early just to get around the possibility of the guy they want trying to engineer a trade after he is picked like Elway and Eli did. If they like Rosen they almost have to go that route to avoid risk on draft day.

The counter argument to the proposition is that the NFL would absolutely freak out at having anything upset the draft day juice that is running when Goodell steps up to the podium for the first time.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Herbie Kirkstreit agrees with him. Prolly been mentioned already but hey just sayin' :)

"I know a lot of people are kind of enamored with Josh Allen and his arm strength. We've heard a lot about Sam Darnold. I start with Baker Mayfield as my top guy. It has everything to do with production. It has everything to do with accuracy and decision making. People get caught up in how athletic a guy is, how big of an arm a guy has. When I watch quarterbacks, it's decision making, and it's accuracy.

"Baker Mayfield, to me, is off the charts in all those areas. If he were 6-3, people would be marveling at this kid. But he's not 6-3, so of course, there are some concerns. He played behind as big of an offensive line as you'll ever see in the NFL -- and had no issues whatsoever with sitting in the pocket and making throws, and finding those passing lanes, and evaluating defenses, both to the inside and the outside. The accuracy is incredible. Reminds me of a young Drew Brees coming out. He would be at the top for me."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_baker_mayfield_is_top_qb_plays_like.html

#48 Walt White, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nothing will give me more satisfaction that for the Browns to steal Goodell's thunder with the first pick.

Br4d likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What does it all mean to us? If Rosen and Baker go one-two or vice versa.....are we screwed for a QB ? Or we might end up striking unplanned gold by default?

11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Allen is a lot more polished with better mechanics.

A better comp is Josh Freeman - same frame, athleticism, crazy big arm, inability to pick up a blitz/read defenses, both feel pressure (real and perceived)and bail out way too much, erratic accuracy... yeah pretty similar, Freeman really never developed. Allen might be different though...

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Just pray the Browns don't see this!

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hope they take it to the wire. The whole lead up and the 15 minutes on the clock. Drag it out because once the Jets pick they can take the next day off.

14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I don't want Mayfield... Think we could have stayed at 6 and got either Mayfield or Rosen

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This guy is just trying to bump up his stock by putting out pure trash. Having mayfield as his top QB prospect is comical.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

You've got it a little off. I'd be interviewing friends and family to understand what kind of company the draftee keeps. The amount of influence friends and family have over these guys is huge. If the guy has friends who are a bunch of weasels, then you should worry.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

It means we swagger up to the podium, happily select Sam Darnold, and look forward to him starting in the 2019 season after the Teddy Bridgwater experiment has ended and he's had a chance to work through some of his mechanical issues.

18. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Rosens father paid lots of money to have this published.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless he's not healthy, the Teddy Bridgewater "experiment" might not end until he retires, as no matter who we draft, he might not beat Teddy out. The only way he may get unseated as the starter is if the starting job is just handed to the rookie.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We could be fine with Darnold and maybe even Allen, but I wouldn't hold my breath on either. I think if that happens, I'll root for Teddy to be healthy, win the job, and be our QB for the next 10 years.

#60 NCJetsfan, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.