“2nd tier” have no fear...?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The consensus is the Fab 5 (Allen, Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Mayfield) are 1st round locks. Rightfully so in my opinion. BUT what about some of these round 2/3 guys? I feel this draft has a diamond in the ruff....

Here’s my take on the QBs I feel have potential to be a Carr/Wilson mid round pick pro bowler!

Luke Falk - Very accurate, quick release, has a proven track record of solid statistics, shows poise in the pocket and has good character. He looked like the best QB in college football vs Arizona, he threw for 300+ yards, 4TDs and had a 92% completion percentage. Flaws: Gets sacked a lot because he holds onto the ball too long, decent arm strength but not elite, needs to learn how to throw with anticipation. Reminds me of Phil Simms with his poise and accuracy from the pocket.

Mason Rudolph - Ideal build, solid footwork and pocket presence. I think he is a bit of a product of a good offensive system, he executed that system with rythem and good decision making. Flaws: Athleticly limited, mechanics need work and slow throwing motion, needs to get quicker with his release. He reminds me of Winston with his size and throwing motion.

Kyle Lauletta - Good feel for the game, accurate with the football, makes good decisions and is a gamer. He is a true boom or bust pick because he flashes signs of being Drew Brees but also flashes Jake Locker. Flaws: Doesn’t have NFL velocity, faced weak competition and lacks prototypical physical attributes.

Any diamonds in the ruff at the QB position you like?

#1 Rockinz, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

If we have to take one of them due to missing out on every top QB option, then we should be looking at Falk. He looks tailor made for a WCO thanks to his accuracy and vision. Rudolph I don't feel would work due to his slower stature and demeanor on the field. I honestly don't know enough about Lauletta to comment on his ability yet

Harpua likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

the problem with going to the second tier is that has been our game plan for a long time now and we still have no QB capable of leading a NFL team to the playoffs let alone a Super Bowl.

Do we need more Hackenbergs, Pettys, Genos, Tajh Boyd’s of the worl on our team, or do we finally take the big FA or Big time prospect? We need to chang

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

God Forbid

Rockinz likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've seen some mocks that have the Jets taking G, Q. Nelson with the 1st pick. As someone who has been screaming for the Jets to draft their FQB, this would be a huge disappointment for this fan. However, Nelson might be a "safe" pick if the Jets do win the Cousins sweepstakes. That would leave the Jets free to go QB in round 2 or later. I would jump all over Mason Rudolph if he is still on the board. I feel he is the least risky QB if he should fall to round 2. Mike White is also a guy I like in round 2 or later. In addition to a good performance at the Senior Bowl, he has ideal height, weight and supposedly had the NFL Channel analysts agog with his football knowledge.

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think Luke Falk may be one of those types that look like crap on the combine/measurable stuff but when you put him into an actual game just finds ways to make it work.

My option A though would be Cousins as a FA, Nelson as a #1 pick, 2 offensive guys to help in round 2. If Falk was somehow still available in the third round though I'd be interested in picking him up to stash along with Hack as our backup/development guys.

If all else fails.... as it probably will. I could actually deal with getting a McCown, Bradford, or Bridgewater, draft Luke Falk with a 2nd round pick, keep Hack, and be somewhat happy. That would be in my mind so much worse than getting Kirk Cousins though its hard to even quantify.