GM Interviews To Start This Week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Darnold says hello

2. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

That and everyone will have a meltdown about SOJ and forget that literally anyone is better than McCagnan

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Versus 10 plus years of Mangold, Ferguson, and Revis.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Thanks to Gettlemen

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read the other day that they cannot block him.

6. NCJetsfan

Bite your tongue!

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'm already preparing for the inevitable nightmare scenario where the Jets get turned down by every desirable GM candidate and just take the interim tag off of Gase.

boozer32, Ralebird and CBG like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

So far the Jets have only requested interviews with Joe Douglas and Champ Kelly, at least those are the only two that are being reported at present. My guess (and hope) is that the Jets may request to speak to others like Adam Peters of the Niners and Elliott Wolf of the Browns, even if they like both, but especially if they aren't sold on one of those two. Hopefully, Douglas wouldn't get upset if the Jets talked to several candidates. He shouldn't, unless they do have some under the table deal already in place. I think the two best candidates are Douglas and Peters, with Wolf third, and Kelly fourth. I'm hoping the Jets' new GM will be either Douglas or Peters.

I just read these two articles:

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/how...abrams-nfl-networks-daniel-jeremiah-more.html

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/05/jet...ng-eagles-joe-douglas-who-is-best-option.html

They listed a bunch of other potential candidates: Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network (although I think he would be as the Director Of Pro Personnel rather than GM); Nick Caserio, the Director of Player Personnel for the Patriots; Kevin Abrams, the Giants Assistant GM; Mike Borgonzi, Director of Football Operations for the Chiefs; Lance Newmark, the Lions Director of Player Personnel; Will McClay, the Cowboys VP of Player Personnel; Jeff Ireland, Saints' Assistant GM and former GM of the Dolphins (NO!!!); Dan Morgan, Director of Player Personnel for the Bills; Scott Pioli, former Falcons Assistant GM and Chiefs' GM (NO); Louis Riddick, ESPN (NO); and George Paton, Vikings Assistant GM.

I hope the Jets won't even consider Jeremiah, Abrams, Newmark, McClay, Ireland, Morgan, Pioli, Riddick or Paton. Some of them don't have the experience that the four I mentioned do, or it's with losing teams, or they have proven to not be very good. I think Newmark is the only one from that group that has worked with Gase (on the Lions from 2003 to 2008).

I think they need to be thorough and make sure they hire the right man. There is some sense of urgency as the new GM will need to hire at least one new scout, but better to take their time and get the right man and be one scout short than rush and hire the wrong man. That said, the longer it drags out, potentially the less of a chance that Douglas will take the job.

In another article I read a little earlier, I saw an interesting tidbit that makes me like Douglas even more. He played OL in college at Richmond, so I would hope that would not only give him a better eye for OL talent and understanding of the types of players they need for the OL, would make fixing the OL more of a priority, and insure that the Jets fix the OL.

9. NCJetsfan

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm too cynical, but given the first two guys the Jets are meeting with are Douglas and Kelly, it wouldn't surprise me if Kelly is their "Rooney: interview and Douglas is signed right away (if he hasn't already had a handshake deal in place).

Douglas would be a good choice, and we could put all the "Gase is trying to be emperor!" talk behind us (I hope!).

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

David Harris as well.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That crossed my mind as well. Kelly is well-respected though, wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a GM soon.

13. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't be surprised, either. It is possible that they have a handshake deal in place. If both Chris and Gase are convinced that he's the right man for the job (and he does seem to be the most respected, and thus the best of the list of candidates), I won't be upset if they hire him immediately, but I'd rather they at least speak to Peters and Elliot as well, if for no other reason than to just hear their perspectives on what they think the Jets needs and how they would go about addressing things. I think that experience would help Chris learn and make him better able to evaluate the job that Gase and whomever their new GM is. In the end, however, I am hoping that Douglas is the guy they hire.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Exactly

Some of the best set of eyes in football telling you what they would do seems like good perspective and intelligence gathering.

I’m certain that in one of my job interviews many years back, a certain unnamed company, took my idea and used it. LoL and I didn’t get the job.

15. ColoradoContrails

I think it's a case of "You know when you know it". If Douglas fits all their criteria, and he wants the job, why waste time and risk turning him off by interviewing other guys? When you went to the prom, did you have a list of dates, and made sure you interviewed all of them before you asked the one you really wanted to go with?

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kelly also has a connection with Gase. He was there up until the year the Broncos won the sb. Also is highly regarded.

17. ColoradoContrails

I'm not saying he wouldn't be good...IDK. Nor do I know if any of the other candidates would be good, but from what I do know, I think Douglas WOULD be good, so hopefully Chris can get him signed.

18. NCJetsfan

Upon further reflection, I agree. There's no sense risking alienating Douglas. If they really like him and he wants the job, sign him. Besides, if Chris Johnson is anywhere near as indecisive as Mac, just interviewing more candidates, with potentially differing views, could just confuse him.

#58 NCJetsfan, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd prefer that the Jets find the absolute best guy for the job rather than just hiring someone quickly because he's a pretty good candidate. Who that is, I have no idea.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Kelly is the Rooney Rule guy. Just window dressing. It's getting ridiculous that the NFL forces these teams to window dress these interviews. 95% of them don't get hired so how is that advancing minorities becoming GM's? It's got to be demoralizing going to an interview knowing you have no chance at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.