How Did It Go Bad So Quickly?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 18, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’ve seen enough bad qb play in otas to allow ourselves to get excited about this.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we would never know regardless. but at the end of the day he took the best player possible realistically then used a 5th rounder and a UDFA signing to fill 2 needs with both players picked, being better players then the one's drafted in the 1st round at the same positions.

3. GasedAndConfused

I get that POV and not saying it's wrong, but saying who have the pats drafted that helped them win? their success is 90% tied to brady and belichick. they've drafted 1st round busts and let most of their 1st rounders walk. they also traded a 1st to get cooks then traded cooks to get a 1st back after a year. the pats did draft really good for a long time, but their last 7 years or so has been riding on the coattails of brady and belichick. none of their picks have been anything worth while. once brady and belichick retires, they will be a basement team. their roster right now is pretty bad talentwise and that is with players like edelman and brady taking hometown discounts and 0 cap room

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but after the draft, a General Manager is obviously going to say the player(s) he selected were the "best player" on their board. He would never say they had XX players ranked above the guy that he selected.

So it's hard to assume they are telling the truth when they say they drafted the best player available.

--

I think Macc suffered from that. He was a weird/quiet dude. so they only time we heard him speak was after the draft, primarily, because he was obligated. And at that point he obviously said he drafted the best player available and we all assumed that was his strict policy because we never hear from him otherwise. Its entirely possible that was just "GM-speak" and that he always factored in need - he just sucked at evaluating prospects in general haha

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Darnold hit a few reporters.

CBG, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Oh I never had any doubt WHY Macc did what he did! He was just COMPLETELY WRONG!

If you need a FQB and there is one available who has a good chance of being that guy, you take him. Why? Because QB is by FAR the biggest impact position on a team. Even if Adams becomes a HOF Safety he will never win more games than a QB. I realize that there are many GMs who subscribe to the BPA theory and would dispute my assertion, but they're wrong. Take Brady. Or Brees. Or Goff. Or Manning. Or Elway. Or Rodgers. Or Namath. Of course you don't know ahead of time if the QB you draft will becomes one of them, but you make finding that guy your absolute primary focus, you do your homework, studying not only his measurables, but his intangibles, and you commit to surrounding him with the players, coaches, and system, that will maximize his success. Macc never did this, nor would he ever. Skipping over Mahomes and Watson was inexcusable given the Jets need of a FQB, and it wound up costing them three prime picks, and the loss of potentially great players at positions of need.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Well I think this points out that offensive players are under-valued with that BPA system. I would take an "O" player with a BPA "rank" of 85 over most "D" players with a 90.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, it cost them 4 prime picks - their first round pick and three second-round picks

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

You're right. That 1st used for Darnold could've been used for another position of need.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong. They have drafted amazingly well. They are drafting at the bottom of every round. Sonny Michel, Joe Thuney, Sam Mason, Trey Flowers, Malcolm Brown, Elandon Roberts. All drafted onto championship teams since 2015. They are loaded with draft picks on their roster that they have drafted in the last 3 years.

11. GasedAndConfused

sony michel is nothing but a JAG RB who has had injury issues and plsits time with every RB they have who also succeeded in their system and failed everywhere else like james white, rex burkhead, dion lewis, etc. they also drafted wynn that year who we can't judge since he missed the season, but solder left at LT and was bad with the giants despite the money he got paid and they traded a 7th rounder for that ddue oakland signed that the niners didn't want and didn't miss a beat. it's brady and the system making their o-line and RBs look good. thuney was a 3rd rounder and again brady. sam mason? doesn't exist lol you mkaing up names here? flowers good yes but a 4th rounder, we were talking about 1sts.

here is their 1st rounders since 2013 (not including 2019 obviously)

wynn - can't judge missed rookie season
    michel - JAG RB
    malcom brown - decent DT who has already left NE as they let him walk
    easley - bust

they only had 4 1st rounders. 2 aren't even with them anymore (1 is a bust and 1 is average) and the other 2 were form last year one who missed the seasonw ith injury and the other an average RB who also missed some time. if the jets only had 0 1st rounders on their roster from drafts 2013 through 2017 we'd be shitting on the GM

prior to that though, yeah they did. in 2012 to 2005 they got
    mankings, merriweather, mayo, mcourty, soldier, jones. only bad pick in that time was maroney who was a bust

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This thread titles blows.

Within the last 48 hours Jets fans are realizing-
    -The sky is not falling
    -Our new Head Cach (and interim GM) is not a raving lunatic
    -That Le'Veon Bell is not getting traded for a bag of potatoes
    -Darron Lee will not be missed
    -We have the meats

[​IMG]

sec314, boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc was awful. Our MVP last year he just let leave without even trying to resign him. We finally had a Pro Bowlesque kicker and he's gone. The guy set records last year. Not Jets records but NFL records. For a team that drafts defense every year, can't score and can't stop anyone scoring. Scoring in any fashion should have a premium on it.

sec314 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a head scratcher. In the entire NFL draft, the Jets GM never thought an offensive player could be the BPA. With the league encouraging scoring, the Jets were stuck in reverse. Just a bad tandem in Macc and Bowles. It takes a special talent to get consultants to choose 2 bad hires. Woody should get a refund.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Michel averaged 4.5 per in his rookie year with over 200 carries. He had 336 yards and averaged 4.73 in 3 playoff games as a rookie. Jag my ass. They have players starting on 3 consecutive SB teams who were drafted on day 2 since 2015,

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sony broke rookie RB postseason records also. The Patriots for a stretch in the early 2010s, I think they had a pretty meh record in terms of draft picks (wide receivers, corners), but the Patriots have really picked it up the last 3 or 4 drafts.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Only one poster on here would call Michel a JAG. I have said poster on ignore, but I knew who it had to be. Sure enough, when I clicked to "Show Ignored Content" it was who I thought it was.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I feel sullied that I actually looked at his stats. I didn't trust what I saw. The guy was a beast in the playoffs.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

CBG likes this.