Chad Reuter's 7 round mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by themorey, Apr 19, 2019.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This is the best "expert" mock I've seen so far. He QBs going 1 & 2 so Bosa falls to 3. I like all these players and it hit a lot of needs. The big miss is OT but it's a weak class outside the top 2 rounds.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3...reuter-2019-sevenround-nfl-mock-draft-round-1

Round 1, No. 3 overall: Nick Bosa, edge, Ohio State
    » Round 3, No. 68: Connor McGovern, C, Penn State
    » Round 3, No. 93 (from Saints): Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State
    » Round 4, No. 105: Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan
    » Round 6, No. 196 (from Bears through Raiders): Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    » Round 7, No. 217: Tommy Sweeney, TE, Boston College

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i can't see QBs going 1 and 2, not going to happen. nobody in the top 5 really needs a QB. only 2 of them could take a QB (raiders/cards) no way a QB goes 1 and 2 in this draft. if the raider want lock and don't want to be jumped they can wait for the jets pick and trade with us for less. no way the niners take a QB and i can't see a team shelling out to them to jump us when we don't need a QB either. teams will try and jump the raiders in that scenerio which means we are the trade point.

with that said,

1) i'd be more then happy with bosa at 3 (but prefer allen).
    2) pick 68 is too early for mcgovern. there is a good chance jenkins is there and if he isn't i'd wait until out later 3rd rounder or 4th to grab mcgovern
    3) i wouldn't grab mclauren there either. I would need to watch more on him but i just don't think WR is the right pick there nor do i see a drop off in talent at the WR spot between that pick and our 4th rounder where someone like hardman, anthony johnson, or boykin would be avilable
    4) bunting is a reach there it would make more sense to grab a better CB prospect in the 3rd and a WR in the 4th. i think they got those 2 wrong based on the players avilable
    5) we don't need a RB and even if we do go RB i wouldn't take snell at all. a small slow RB that is subpar at everything outside of toughness and doesn't play special teams or return kicks and has 0 potential to be a starter to even big contributor at the position in the NFL. if we take a RB it should be one who can return kicks and/or punts
    6) 7th round is a throwaway pick anyway but i wouldn't bother with a TE. none of the ones avialble there really have a chance to sick in the NFL. it's a weak TE class once you get past the 1st 3 rounds.
    7) didn't address OT at all

overall i'd rate this a D at best because bosa but i don't like anything else and would prefer allen anyway

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Is there a big drop off from Jenkins to McGovern? Seems like after the top 3 centers then it drops off from there. If thats the case, we are screwed in terms of finding starting talent this year I believe unless we trade down.

4. GasedAndConfused

yeah about 1 round worth of talent. jenkins is a guy who could come in and beat out harrison in his rookie season and play well. Mcgovern would not start for us year one and would take time to be good enough to start. he's really weak in pass protection and taking him and trying to start him means darnold will be getting pressure up the middle which is the worse kind of pressure for a QB. He could develop into a good zone shceme run blocker but he'll likely need help against the pass his whole career or at least a year or 2 to fix his technique.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Then we’re basically praying for a June 1st cut to come in here and be better than Harrison if we can’t trade down. Macagnan really knows how to mismanage a team.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

maybe they have more faith in harrison then we do. C has been an issue for us ever since mangold got hurt and then retired. You never know who may surprise as a rookie or who we will land in the draft or who gets released. every team has a hole on it's roster. It's not the end of the world. we survived a season with wesley johnson at C, we survived a season with long at C who couldn't snap. we'll be ok. have patience.

mrjet80 and FJF like this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m not too crazy about this draft.....I think better CB prospects will be available in the third round. Stay away from that Ohio St WR - if the Jets are going WR at that point there should be better prospects available such as Boykin from Notre Dame. RB isn’t much of a need this year now that they signed Montgomery .

If they select an OT this year I prefer it be very late as in a developmental type prospect for depth purposes. Maybe if they’re lucky he can develop to push Shell at RT. The LT prospects this year are few and far in between and the Jets have bigger holes to fill as far as this draft goes. LT will be a hole next year and the prospects will be much better . Wait til 2020 to worry about T.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have mixed feelings on this draft. Would be unhappy with Bosa over Allen, as Bosa is a 4-3 DE and unless we're planning to switch to a 4-3 base or 4-3 full time, would not be happy with Bosa, plus he's an injury waiting to happen.

I would be OK with McGovern, and think the Jets would have to take him here to get him or any center prospect that's worth a darn. There are a lot better WRs than McLaurin in the draft, so would not be happy with that pick at all. I like Bunting, but coming from a small school, he might take a year or two before he's ready to contribute very much.

I like Snell. I don't know much about Sweeney, but if he can catch and is a very good blocker, I'd be ok with him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

10. Quinnenthebeast

I have been very patient with this team, but we've been terrible forever. I get that not all holes will get filled this year but they completely passed on Paradis and Morse to fill a giant need. We continue to ignore the offensive line and its only gonna get Sam killed. I just dont understand why the front office finds no value in it. Harrison is a JAG at best.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I just looked at this complete mock on nfl.com. Interesting. He has Erik McCoy being drafted at #22 of the 1st round and ahead of Bradbury at #29. He also has the Jets drafting Connor McGovern over Elgton Jenkins with our 3a pick. He has Darnell Savage being the first S taken, followed by Taylor Rapp, Jonathan Abram, Juan Thornhill, Amani Hooker, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and then Nasir Adderley. He also has Greedy Williams falling to pick #52.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I like McGovern, probably more than most here, but no way I take him over Jenkins.

I also like the TE pick in round 7, Sweeney from BC. He's not an athletic freak posing as a WR in a TE body. The kid will block and be a safety blanket in the passing game. I can see him grab the TE2 role right away.

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. mrjet80

In that scenario you have to wonder if Mac trades up to draft Greedy. That’s outstanding value at # 52. I’ve read somewhere he has shown interest in another center - Gallard ? from Georgia . Not what we wanted but he would probably still be there at the # 105 pick.

This isn’t necessarily what I want the Jets to do just wondering ......

14. mrjet80

That sounds like a great pick for round 7. A back up TE but good use for the Jets - Indont like the depth they currently have behind Herndon. A 7th rounder that would stick .....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't get mad over taking Sweeney in round 7, but I'd prefer to take a TE with more upside in the middle rounds.

16. NCJetsfan

With Mac, there's no telling. On one hand, I don't think that we can afford to trade up no matter who falls, and in genereal, I don't like trading up, period. OTOH, the prospect of Harrison starting at C scares the bejeebers out of me, so if one of McCoy and Jenkins or Risner is still there at the bottom of the 2nd round, I wouldn't hate it if Mac traded up and took one of them unless he's certain that no other team between there and the Jets' 3a pick will take a C and no one will be likely to trade up to take a C ahead of them. I'd still blame him for putting himself into that position in the first place, however. He should have signed someone in FA to play C who is better than Harrison.

17. GasedAndConfused

that's the biggest issue with fans. we look at the whole thing and go the jest have sucked since the 1970s and we are fed up. but none of that has anything to do with gase, mac, the johnsons, or the current players. We started a rebuild pretty much 2 years ago. it's going to take a couple more years. we didn't pass on paradis either. he didn't want to play here. maybe mac felt morse wasn't worth it? we all have a little bit of tunnel vision

FJF likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

What do you base the bolded on? I have seen nothing that even remotely suggests that. What I saw said that the Jets initially contacted Paradis' agent to indicate some interest, but never followed it up with a contract offer. I also read that a number of teams were concerned with Paradis' injury.

19. GasedAndConfused

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/jets-watch-coveted-center-matt-paradis-go-to-the-panthers/

there was also an article saying he preferred to be in some place more country then NY but i can't find that one

20. NCJetsfan

First of all, there is nothing in that Steve Serby article to even remotely suggest that the Jets didn't like Paradis. Second, even if there were, you can't trust anything that Hack or the Post print. Third, I think there was no article, but rather I or someone else suggested that here. There was an article that talked about Paradis being from a very small town where they had a possum chase or something like that, and then a couple of us joked around and speculated that he might not have wanted to play for the Jets, but there was never anything concrete in print that I saw or heard about, here or elsewhere.

One might infer from Paradis' comment that he was tired of losing and wanted to play for a winner as saying he didn't want to play for the Jets from that perspective, but he also said that the money he got in FA needed to reflect his level of play, and the Jets certainly had the money to offer. They just never did.