Russell Wilson and the Seahawks Have a Deal

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 16, 2019.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets have gone up in value from what J and J paid but the Team hasnt amounted to a pile of beans

The Fanbase, Ridiculous Prices for season tix, Venues, Metro Area and TV Contracts are what's fueling things

Hackenberg and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Who claimed that? You don't think he sells Jersey puts fans in the seats and allows ticket and food prices to rise. Remember what happened to the Seattle basketball team when they stunk for a few years.

Russell Wilson means wins, wins means more revenue. Not sucking creates value in so many ways.

3. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

No, what happened was, the seahawks were winning because they moved a revenue source/Sonics to another State.
    The Lakers went to multiple championships while nfl didn't house a team in LA. Now the Seahawks can be bad again, while The Mariners have a good year and the hockey team moves in next year. Follow the money.. Not the players.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Government conspiracy.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You claimed that. Right here.
    And I agree that Wilson has generated a lot of revenue. Just not 1.5 billion dollars.

Biggs likes this.
  6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets have quite a following in the UK. Just as the game got big over here, in the mid-80s, the Jets became (briefly) a decent team, and the 1986 51-45 OT victory against the Dolphns was the game shown on UK TV that week. You used to see the occasional Jets jersey or cap being worn and they are still a pretty popular team over here. The teams with really big UK followings - the Bears, 49ers, Raiders, Redskins - nearly all stem from them being winning teams at the time the game first caught our imagination over here. As usual, most people pick a winning team to follow. I picked the Jets (just before the 1984 season) because I liked the nickname and thought New York was cool.

Hackenberg likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

I, for one, get a kick out of reading Hackenberg's posts. Don't take his posts seriously and they're good for a few laughs IMO.

Acad23 likes this.
  8. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

Ignorance is bliss...

“Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult…. All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working hours or shorter rations. And when they become discontented, as they sometimes did, their discontentment led nowhere, because being without general ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances.”

George Orwell, "1984"

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

IT'S CONSPIRACY.... HIS "NAME" IS "WILSON" SO YOU SUBCONSCIOUSLY THINK OF FOOTBALLS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Well that's soccer Orwell was talking about. Everyone knows soccer is mind control.

11. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

Sports is sports is sports. All invented for the same purpose. Distraction. Orwell was talking about govt vs the public.

12. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

The most prominent letters with famous people are J/W/M.
    Spalding and Voit sound cooler though. :)

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I understand that traditionally QB is the most important position in the sport.

I don't understand how in a TEAM sport with a 53 men roster how paying one guy $25-$35 million per year makes sense. Especially when that one guy IS NOT a superstar/transcendant type of talent.

I can see how it could work in basketball with teams having such small rosters or even baseball where players have to play offense/bat and play defense/a position on the field.

I don't see this setup working for teams in the NFL.

14. CotcheryFan

Russell Wilson is an elite QB.

FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

No he isn't. Also Leonard Williams is fat, Jon Gruden knows what he's doing, and the Giants have the best roster in football.

stinkyB, abyzmul, CotcheryFan and 2 others like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This proves it, If Darnold throws for 3400 yards with 35 TDs to 7picks, 10 wins and a playoff birth, we are still going to have to deal with people saying he's not elite. :rolleyes:

17. WarriorRB28

He's very good.

He's not Tom Brady.

Or Peyton Manning in his prime.

Or Andrew Luck.

The modern NFL system is designed for QBs to put up inflated numbers. If one only looks at the numbers around the league and looks at the insane contracts some of these QBs are getting one could believe we're living in the golden age of QB play.

PFFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH RIGHT!

I just don't see the value in paying one player in a 53 men team this much per year. Or how it could work in the long term.

If this is the way QB contracts are going why are teams lining up to find a 'franchise QB' so that in a few years they have to pay him $35+ million per year? How is that a prize?

I think smart teams will try to find capable QBs in the mid tier range (salaries), build superior teams around them try to compete that way.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Seattle went to two SB on essentially 1 draft class. They have been taken apart as that draft reached FA and many stars were dumped for salary cap reasons. They continue to make the playoffs building around Russell Wilson.

The reality is you can win by having a cheap QB and building around him through FA or you can build around an expensive QB by having a great draft and getting star players on the cheap.

The one thing that is virtually impossible to do is build a SB team around a second tier QB. Russell Wilson is consistently an elite QB in almost every way. He also can survive and thrive behind a crappy OL.

The NFL is designed to reward the QB. The value of having one that is really good is almost priceless.

FJF likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yet with inflation Wilson continues to be in the top 5 of almost every statistical catagory. FYI there are no longer mid tier QB's who don't get paid. See Kurt Cousins, Derrick Carr, Jimmy Garappolo. Jacks cut Blake Bortles after paying him 20 million last year.

20. WarriorRB28

Show me evidence of teams winning while paying a QB or any one player this much money per year.

Granted this QB salary structure is new only about three years but the early returns aren't good.

Paying one player $35 million per year in a sport of teams comprised of 53 men rosters, three different phases in the game is absolute insanity and doomed to fail IMO.

And putting a little QB behind a bad o-line no matter how athletic he is doesn't sound like a winning gameplan to me but hey Russell Wilson has to get his money right? If the team has to cut corners here and there by trading away the franchise tagged defender, on the o-line so be it.

Superma err Russell Wilson will save the day. He he he