Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Your such a looser.

But, your whole question could turn on the identity of the people cited here:

"League sources say Washington is already among the teams sniffing around, and with pretty much every GM in the league wholeheartedly convinced that QB Kyler Murray is going first overall, and San Francisco likely to take its top defensive player on the board second overall (early money is on pass rusher Nick Bosa), then the Jets very well could be sitting pretty with that third pick as an avenue for a QB-needy team to jump ahead of the Giants (sixth overall) to land Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins."​

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the job is easy, but there are lots of jobs that are harder, many even harder than a GM, and yet people do them well, even excellently, and some people just can't do them - are you familiar with the Peter Principle, where a person rises to level the of their incompetence? It means that someone works hard and has success, and is rewarded by being pushed up the ladder until they hit the rung where they fail. Maybe being a GM is a rung too far for Macc?

I'm not even saying that I expect him to hit on all his picks, but his success ratio is well less than 50%. To me that means he isn't doing his job well. Maybe he just isn't really a good GM. I'm looking at this draft - along with his FA signings - to either show he has what it takes or he doesn't. Of course, that judgment is my own, and not his boss's so it won't count for anything.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I can see some truth with the end of your first paragraph .....he may very well be in over his head as GM with total control over the operations. He does some things very well - he’s usually pretty good financially with the contracts - the bad ones or should I say more expensive ones - usually have an early out . His trades are pretty clever . But it appears he may be overmatched when his drafting or scouting acumen comes into play. I think he has value in the organization - but maybe as a partner or contributor rather than in complete control.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No I hear ya. Mac hasn't been too great. Maybe he pre-occupation with finding a FQB set him back, we're about to find out. Purpose of my post is against all the Monday morning GMs on here. It's easy with 20-20 hindsight. Not so easy with just a list of players in front of you.

In another post I called on our posters who feel they're 100x better than Mac to call there shot now for the 2019 draft. Not a year after it, but now. "Mac's such and idiot...how could he have passed on this guy. How could he have passed on that guy. I could pick better players in my sleep".

OK, here's your chance. Pick the sleepers you'll crucify Macc for missing a year from now. DOIT!

That's all, not sayin Mac is even good. Just saying if it's so easy, show me what you got!

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Your English is worse than his Turkish - I can see that much at the very least.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Hold the Giants for ransom, 3 for 6 and 17

KurtTheJetsFan and phubbadaman like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I guess I should of written in Turkish.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The issue with bad draft picks goes beyond the GM... the scouting department is the most important aspect of a teams success, in my opinion.
    Yes, the GM has final say on the pick but if you have outstanding scouts you should be able to have the confidence their recommendations are sound.

Now I'm no Macc apologist but we can't discount the fact that the scouting department may need some tweaking.

Maybe I'm seeing things through green colored glasses but I feel the Mac & Gase marriage will be more productive in drafting players than the Bowles Mac marriage was... that seemed like more of an arranged marriage to me, even though CJ was involved in the HC hiring process.
    All the rumors after Bowles firing , that he didn't give much input in picking players or FA's , could be sour grapes & scapegoating , but I'm hoping that was , in fact, true...I guess we will see ,starting with the 2019 draft process.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

His stated mantra is to fill needs with pro free agency and draft BPA. So far this offseason he hasn't really filled the biggest needs at C, OLB and outside CB, which puts him in a predicament for the draft. Given his less than stellar draft history there is plenty of reason to be concerned. Since Mangold retired his attempts to replace him have been Wesley Johnson, Spencer Long, and now (so far) Jonathon Harrison. He has not even tried drafting a replacement C in that timeframe but has instead wasted 2nd and 3rd round picks on the likes of Devin Smith, Christina Hackenburg, Lorenzo Mauldin, and Ardarius Stewart.

I hope for the best but i'm not optimistic. If he trades down to acquire more picks his chances of hitting on the 1st round pick diminish and he is far less likely to do anything worthwhile with the acquired picks. I think based on that I've convinced myself the best option is to stay at #3 and take Allen or Bosa.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, scouting is critical, but except for his first year when he inherited the scouts from Idzik, Macc has been in charge of that area, so if they're not doing a good job, it's his fault.

There's another key aspect to building a consistently good team: having a blueprint, and knowing the types of players that fit it. If Macc has one, it's a mystery to the rest of us. There doesn't seem to be any pattern he draws to except BPA. How many interior DL and Safeties does one team need?

KurtTheJetsFan, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  11. 80% of the scouting department's job is information gathering & evaluation. 9 times out of 10 all their grades do is get funneled up to the top scouts/GM. Bottom line is your scouts can be super accurate & knowledgeable but if the gm/personnel execs don't pick the right guy or haven't a clue how to build a cohesive team it's all for not.

Jets are known to have a very good scouting dept...which is why the continued mismanagement is such a joke in league circles. There's no overriding voice,cohesion or overriding vision.

l

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

By now it should be clear as day - that your English is as good as your Turkish.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I've said in the past all teams are equal with the salary cap. But not really. As you just pointed out, the scouting dept plays a huge roll in the future success of any team. And owners are free to spend whatever they want on scouting (and coaching).

It's one area a team can gain an advantage if the owner's not a cheapskate. Take Robbie Anderson. An undrafted nobody that Mac's scouting team paid someone to go out and scout. Most teams probably didn't.

#193 Footballgod214, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the last sentence is true, then what is probably best for the Jets and for us fans is for Mac to trade down, miss on all his draft picks and then have Gase and Williams go to Chris Johnson screaming and get Mac's ass fired. If Mac stays, continues to hit mostly only on the BPA 1st round pick that falls to him and misses on the rest, we will never build a winner, at least not while Sam is on his rookie contract.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Demarcus Lawrence still hasn't been able to agree on a deal with the Cowboys.

What IF, the Jets traded a 2020 2nd (and a late round pick) for Lawrence.

After that they can proceed to trade down with the redskins for the mega package of their 1 2 3 this year and 1 2 next.

In theory they could also trade down first and use some of the extra picks on Lawrence. Just don't overpay.

#195 Sam Hammer, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is a straw man. I can say Mac sucks and at the same time not say I'd do better than him. I have higher standards for the guy who got one of the 32 most coveted NFL front office positions and is getting paid very good money to do that job at an elite level.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Lets see how this draft pans out with Gase and Williams advising Mac plus we finally dont need a QB this time. We are in a position very similar to Colts last year and even if we dont get the trade down, its hard to screw up the 3rd pick. We are getting a stud no matter what round 1.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Just imagine if they can trade for Lawrence AND draft Bosa. Bosa will be on rookie contract for the next few years, so they will play together for some 4 to 5 years together, right? With Gregg Williams calling the shot? Imagine THAT.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While he should be commended for finding a high end #3( or low end #2 at best) WR as a UDFA, it doesn't negate his failures in the middle rounds. I hope that the new CS has an identity from which they can select players who fit and thrive.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The two things Mac does best at this point is to get talent to fall to him in the 1st Round and pick players who will get picked up for absurd DUI's in later rounds.