2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They got lucky the Jackets lost to Edmonton 4-1 and the Canes lost to TB 6-3. As it is right now the Isles are tied with Pitt for second place in the Metro with 91 points. Carolina has 87, Montreal leapfrogged Columbus 85 and 84 points respectively. They will make the playoff barring a major collapse the rest of the way. Have a 7 point lead over 9th place Columbus with 8 or 9 games to go. I liked how Trotz called them out last night in his post game press conference. He challenged their manhood by calling them soft and that they have to figure things out with this hockey club and fast.

CBG, Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

The way I see it their chances are going down real fast. While most teams start playing better and tougher, the Isles are going in the opposite direction. The last time they scored more than 2 goals in a game was 8 games ago. Philly is next and the Isles have already gotten manhandled by them twice this month..

CBG likes this.
  3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Real hard to win when you don't score any goals ----they can easily miss the playoffs and the way they are crawling to the finish line missing the playoffs might not be a bad thing---Lose for Hughes

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For all of the gloom and doom the last 2 games this team is 5-5 in its last 10. That's not great but not a collapse either. For the Isles to miss the playoffs the Canes, Canadiens, and Jackets would all have to pass the Isles and there are 8 games left for each team except the Canes who have 9. Carolina is 4 back, Montreal 6 back, and Columbus 7 back. The Jackets are struggling like the Isles and Montreal isn't that good despite last night. Worse case I would guess is a fall to WC 1 and a 1st round series against the Caps.

As for this weekend the Isles play at Philly tomorrow at 1:00. The Flyers have owned the Isles and just recently beat them twice at Nassau. I hope I am wrong but I see another loss tomorrow. They should (HOPEFULLY) bounce back at home against the Coyotes Sunday afternoon 3:00 start. They need a goal early in the 1st P tomorrow and maybe they settle down. More than 6 periods of scoreless hockey so they need to get that monkey off their back. Anyway LGI.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

At least we have a game against the Leafs coming up; that should pull us out of our malaise.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m afraid it’s going to be a blood bath, Trotz challenged them, if they don’t come out and make a statement with their fist and on the board, you can bet that this team will be very different next year.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Caps just lost to the Wild 2-1 in regulation so Isles remain 3 back with a game in hand. Hoping they can at least get a point tomorrow but a W would be nice.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It was brutal. Total let down after that thrilling Bolts game Wednesday. Hockey is a crazy sport! Now the Islanders play the Flyers tomorrow and then the Capitals play the Flyers Sunday, while the Islanders host the Coyotes. Should be a fun weekend!

Red Menace likes this.
  9. JetBlue

Watching these guys on offense right now is like watching a LB play QB; it’s like they’ve never played offense before.

10. JetBlue

It’s a Christmas miracle in March!

11. JetBlue

What the hell did they talk about in the timeout before the 5-3?

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

[QUOTE
    Isles need to fire Gomez, 5-3 and this is the best he can come up with on a PP?

There is the make up call for Philadelphia!!!

JetBlue likes this.
  13. JetBlue

And the Flyers show the Isles what can happen when you actually shoot the puck on the PP.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Power play is still looking just lovely---you can easily see why they did not need to make any moves at the deadline --> insert sarcasm. Just find a way to win this game !

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Can they just play defense and get an empty netter to make this academic ?

17. Red Menace

If you and I can see Isles don’t have good offensive players, I’m sure the rest of the NHL is aware there is no one they want from Isles either.

JetBlue and CBG like this.
  18. Red Menace

JB coming through, I’m happy for him!!!

19. statjeff22

And Bailey again!

20. statjeff22

Exactly - Lamoriello has a decades-long track record of making good deals when they are available. The obvious implication of the lack of any deals at the deadline is that no good deals (in his view) were available, not that Lamoriello was too stupid to recognize that one needed to be made.

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.