Kick the tires? Dez Bryant

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 22, 2019.

?

Is it worth it to give him a shot?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2019.
  1. Yes

16.9%
  2. No

83.1%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Anyone here think it's worth a shot? Now before anyone says he's washed up and old, becuase yes he isn't the same dez bryant from years ago when he was a pro bowler, We did do this with pryor last year (which didn't pan out) but on a cheap 1 year deal, lets look to why it could make sense

1) he's desperate, he will be cheap and will be looking to get back into the NFL and have a chance to prove he still got it

2) we don't have anything better? Ok we have crowder, Q, and robbie. Q has 21 out of the last 32 games with injury. Anderson also missed a few games last year too. then outside of those 3 we have nothing. we have tay a UDFA rookie last year who only made the PS due to being darnolds college WR and only got to play due to injury, and peake a 7th round WR from 2 years ago who never panned out at WR but is just a good special teams player. The NFL uses a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets these days so as of now tay/peake is the WR 4 and if one of our top 3 gets injured (Q i already stated, anderson and crowder both missed a combined 9 games as well) then tay/peake would basically be a starting WR for us. I don't think one could argue Dez isn't a better option

3) yes we have the draft, but you can't count on a rookie and our history of drafting WRs is quite poor.

4) darnold, the idea is to give him as much talent as possible around him to help him suceed, dez does bring that even if it's not starter level talent anymore

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Didn’t he blow out his Achilles week 16?

Just checked, in November.
    30 year old coming off of a torn Achilles late in the season

That’s a hard pass

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If he was the Dez Bryant from years ago I would say definitely - but as of now I don't think the Jets are interested . They have Robby, Enunwa, Crowder, as the top 3 plus Bellamy - and may draft a WR at some point too. I think they want good young options at WR to grow with Darnold and as far as veteran presence that was most likely the reasoning behind signing Bellamy . What the Jets truly lack as of now is the true # 1 WR if Robby can't cut it.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Get the fuck out.

He wasn’t getting separation the last time he was playing and then got injured.

And is an asshole.

This thread, this whole idea, is ass.

NY Jets68, twown and Harpua like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Nope, he looked like he was toast when he last played.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Can we get an F No option on the poll

Harpua likes this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Other than you, 3 people responded. All responded respectfully. In just one post, you cursed at OP, called the player a curse word and then played moderator by calling the thread ass. Thread lightly or I will truly ban your ass. Cheers.

LarryAlRalph and M00ndawg like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not to mention adding a guy with his attitude to our young group of weapons is exactly what this team does not need. Just because someone had talent in the past does not mean we need to sign everyone of them. Ridiculous idea.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya but Jamal Adams is actively recruiting him, it's a done deal.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

By the amount of resounding "NO" votes cast, it's either a really, really bad idea or there's collusion among TGG members.

Probably both.

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Ha...”thread lightly” is like when Walter White told Hank in breaking bad to “Tread Lightly”. If that was intended...bravo @Brook!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Band begets band.

Circle of life.

13. PennyandtheJets

@GasedAndConfused this is not me disagreeing with you for the sake of disagreeing. This to me, would not be a beneficial signing. Although the Jets don’t have a true #1 receiver...I do believe they have three #2 guys. I don’t think having someone on the team like Dez is helpful. Jets offense is going to spread the ball out this season. They have a number of very solid targets in Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Herndon, McGuire, and Bell.

Dez would try to command the ball. Darnold was actually decent at spreading the ball around to different receivers for a rookie and I feel like Bryant could slightly interfere with that. I would rather avoid having an over the hill WR who would want the ball peppered at him even when he isn’t open.

Aside from the Offensive line, the Jets actually boast an offense with true potential. If they can continue to fix the oline, this offense looks good/very good.

#13 PennyandtheJets, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Maybe kick the tires near the end of camp if there's a need. Don't think there's going to be a rush by anyone to sign him.
    At this point, he could be a viable red zone target but not much more.

MoWilkBeast and GatorGar like this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

If he would agree to such a role, yes then it could work. I think he wants to start and I think a lot of teams are telling him, “you are a backup now.”

16. Rollo Tomassi

First of all, folks have been calling threads ass for months. I didn’t invent it.

If it was a problem warnings should have been given months and months ago. And it’s meant as a humorous dig, not with true venom. I thought that was part of the hijinks here.

I didn’t curse the OP, I cursed the concept laid out. If criticizing opinions is wrong, event vehement criticism, then we should make this a safe place forum. No criticism, no vehemence.

And I’m sorry but Dez Bryant is a really bad guy. Really bad. Some would say an asshole. NOT who you want to surround Sam with. If that offends people I am sorry to point that out. But it’s the truth.

If the OP reported me, maybe he’s upset that many folks, not just me, have objected to some of his opinions. He seems to have a problem with me, the culture we’ve propagated of being offended at the slightest hint.

If you want to ban me fine.

Ralebird and M00ndawg like this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Looks like I’ve offended folks.

When I’m gone please try to explain the errors of their ways.

Totally ridiculous idea but pardon me for my bawdy criticism.

Cheers.

Harpua likes this.
  18. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Sign him Week 2 when the money doesn’t have to be guaranteed. If he doesn’t sign before the season he’ll be desperate to play anywhere cheap. It’s a low risk, medium potential move. In that case, I’d be for it.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Just my bad English. I meant Tread lightly. :)

No intention to ban you. I said what I said. You responded. Case closed for now.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Maybe his end game is that if we sign receivers that can't get separation then Sam can't get his grade knocked for hitting wide open receivers that make plays after the catch :D

TonyFtLaud likes this.