Will Mac have a better draft this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Set aside how good Mahomes was in college, and how good he's performed in the pros. You can say "Well no one could've predicted that", but in fact some people did. That said, the issue I have with Macc is that he needed a FQB, and two were sitting there for him, and he passed. Instead he picked a Safety, and I don't care how good Adams ever becomes, a great Safety will never be more impactful than a great QB. On top of that mistake, this meant that he had to gamble the next year by burning three valuable picks to even have a chance of getting a decent QB, All of this together has set the development of the team back.

And to those who say "Well I'd rather have a Pro Bowl Safety than a Pro Bowl QB", you don't know what you're talking about.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

This! ^

Just what IS Macc's plan, his blueprint? What identity is he trying to build? Does he even know? So far, the only blueprint I see is BPA-first - it doesn't matter what position they play, if they're considered the BPA, then Macc pounces. Based on his record, I have almost no confidence he'll produce a team that can be counted on to be a consistent winner.

chandler, NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  3. Hes way too measured & ive yet to see anything in terms of TEAM architecture.Its just like Idzik & Tannenbaum where it’s just a collection of talent.

When you watch colllege players you can say “He looks like a steeler” “Thats a Giant kind of kid” or god forbid “That kid would be fine playing for a team that cheats”.I STILL 4 years into this mess have no idea what a Mike Macagnan Jet is supposed to look like other than injury prone..

You can be conservative & measured if you evaluate players well & have a prototype. MAC to this stage does neither. Hes gotten early round 1 picks right but do they all fit under the same banner? Has he built around those players?HELL NO.

This was supposed to be the offseason that the team made their ascension.He and CJ had this genius plan for this offseason.Weve gone from C- level talent to MAYBE C+

4. ColoradoContrails

Spot on!

Macc is at best, a "C" level GM. As long as he's in charge, the Jets will struggle to rise above that. I would love to be wrong, but after 4 years, I don't see any reason to believe otherwise. Maybe adding Bell, who is explosive, will really add that long missing dimension to the offense. I give Macc credit for signing him, and for adding the OL from the Raiders, and a few other pieces. On paper, that's progress, but we'll see what happens when they play the games.

In the meantime, just what is the identity of this team? It sure would've been great to unveil that along with new uniforms!

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's no coincidence that teams with a real vision draft well no matter where they pick in each round. AB was a 6th round WR; I bet the Steelers saw something in him and didn't select him just because they needed a WR.

6. ColoradoContrails

Absolutely! The best teams have a blueprint, of what "their guys" look like, and they draft and sign players to fit that mold. That's why they can change coaches, and even players, and still win. With the Jets - not just Macc, but ever since Parcells - their method has no coherence so they're always chasing the trend.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Before millennials and their inflated grades, C meant average. Mac is not average. F***ing millennials. :mad::mad::mad:

8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well hopefully that approach changes now that Darnold is in the fold. For every year in recent memory the lack of a franchise QB has always loomed from day one and affected the team's approach to building whether they admitted it or not. At least that was my perception.

As for this yearI am expecting a true EDGE rusher ( Bosa/Allen ) and next year should be the ' franchise ' LT and hopefully a #1 WR along the way. Once those positions are solidified in theory a team/GM should simply drop the draft according to need and go more with a best player approach. The Jets as of now aren't there yet.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Too funny...sad but true

His plan must be pretty dumb whatever it is lol

Macs Blueprint is as brilliant as Chris and Woody : Resign two Bozos Mac and Bowles (both incompetent) and fly by the seat of your pants while torturing the fans for 3 more years

God help Williams and Gase dealing with this Admin.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree Macc record is not good at all. This draft he needs to add some talent from the draft. No more Hackenberg's.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. On one hand, I was stunned when I read it, then again, with the way things have gone with the Jets, I really wasn't that surprised. After all, not much has made sense around the Jets lately. It's amazing and scary either way.

I also expect Mac's drafts to get get better. I think that Gase and Williams have a better eye for talent and are better coaches than Bowles. They know the types of players they want for their systems, and I think that unless Mac is just totally blind when it comes to talent, he has to have learned something and improved over the last 4 years. If not, he has to go.

KurtTheJetsFan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

We can only hope.

HomeoftheJets likes this.