Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so you are saying when he doens't pick a good player he picks a bad one? that's how the draft goes sometimes. there are better and worse classes as well. you have to give the credit where it's due which fans don't. take 2017 for example you say adams "fell" into mac's lap. we had needs at WR and QB and others. but lets use WR. The titans passed on adams for corey davis (bust), the bengals took John ross 3 picks later (bust), chargers took mike williams right after we took adams (solid WR). adams however is already in his 2nd year a pro bowler, 2nd team all pro, and considered a top 3 player at his position. Mac could have passed on adams and took one of those 3 WRs and filled a need but would have been a much worse pick.

i went back and looked at the draft thread here and a lot of people wanted OJ howard at 6 who eventually went to TB in the 2nd half of the 1st round. the following year mac got herndon in the 4th round who looks like he may be a better TE in the NFL then howard so far

the overwhelming majority though were wanting adams, and mac made the pick and people were happy, but now it's seen as a negative that he made that pick? I don't get that mentality.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Seriously? You don't get it? While much of your post here is reasonable, and points out the risks of ANY pick, you're ignoring that the OBVIOUS pick for Macc in 2017 was QB, and he passed on two great ones. Sure, Safety was a need, but Safety is NOT a game changing position like QB or even Edge, and then he compounded that folly with taking Maye, another Safety with his next pick! And adding salt to the wound, by passing on Mahomes and Watson in 2017, he had to burn high draft capital in 2018 just to get into position to MAYBE get his QB. Unless he had the Browns and Giants draft room bugged, he couldn't possibly have known Darnold would fall to him, so that wasn't skill, it was blind luck.

I'm happy we got Sam, but I would've much rather had Mahomes AND kept my picks, AND quite possibly landed my Edge last year.

If you don't "get" that, I don't know what to tell you.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Mahomes would have looked awful with our O-Line and lack of playmakers. This isn't K.C lol.

Darnold and Adams all day long. GREAT 1-2 punch right there. Macc did great.

Fans get mad at their GM's for missing out on picks and taking someone else. So don't get mad @ Macc for taking the right pick.

4. ColoradoContrails

You clearly never watched any of Mahomes's college tape. Of course he would not have done as well as he has with KC, but he would've definitely been better than what we had, and in all likelihood better than Darnold. And of course there's the other aspects I noted - the lost draft picks, the lost opportunity to get our Edge last year.

Macc has been mediocre - a "C" rating - at best, and that's factoring in his gamble on getting Darnold working out. He isn't the worst GM, but he sure isn't the best. I would've been happier if they fired him when they fired Bowles.

NCJetsfan, Jets69 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Jets aren’t the only team that passed up on Mahomes. Mahomes is a stud obviously, but there were questions with him coming out of college (like most QBs). Let’s not kill Mac for passing on Mahomes. He wasn’t the only one to do so.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

One problem is you have to trade him immediately or you loose out on getting the other teams #1 pick., the Draft isn't going to wait while we negotiate a trade, unless your going to trade for all next year's picks. It just makes much more sense to trade the pick than the player.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

So what you're saying is that because there were other stupid GMs it's okay that Macc was? I don't know how many teams needed a QB in 2017, and who had a chance to draft Mahomes or Watson, actually passed on them. As it was, KC was thought to NOT need a QB since they had Alex Smith, and yet burned draft picks to move up to get Mahomes.

And of course there were questions about him coming out of college! EVERY player, no matter how highly ranked, has questions, there are no guarantees. But the Jets needed a QB and Macc could've taken one, and he chose not to. Yes, I will crucify him for that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm happier with Adams and Darnold, so I'm gonna credit Mac for the same decision you are ripping him on.

Mahomes is in the optimal situation for him.
    That wouldn't necessarily have been the case here.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why are we still talking about Mahomes? Think it worked out pretty ok getting the face of our D and O in back to back drafts, now we just need to build around them.

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

nobody knows....but with the 15 , you get 3 additional picks

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

but you still must always be looking into the future

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. Jamal Adams as the cornerstone of our defense and our could be 1st Franchise QB since Chad Pennington in Same Darnold. As mentioned, during back to back drafts. Not to mention a future HOF great and greatest offensive weapon since this fan base has seen since #28 Curtis Martin in Le'Veon Bell, who's still only (just turned) 27.

An offensive trio @ QB/RB/WR of Darnold, Bell & Robby will be so fun to watch as was Pennington/Martin/Coles for me as a fan on offense.

And no. I don't trade back. I'm taking either of Bosa or Allen.

We have not had a fierce outside pass rusher since Abe. We've invested a lot into Leonard Williams and having either of Bosa or Allen lined up right behind Leonard Williams imo, screams "RIP the QB's head off".

Draft the best pass rusher who you feel is available @ #3. Line him up @ OLB right behind an animal in Leonard Williams on the D-Line and our defense instantly becomes respected while Jamal Adams roams our entire defense.

You draft the best available pass rusher. We're been fkn starved of one...

13. Yes..but they could've began building an OL & putting playmakers around Mahomes a year EARLIER than they are currently trying to do for Sam.

14. The positions I can get on board with at those spots but Ferrell doesn't project as an Edge in my opinion but rather a strong side DE in a 4-3. I'm not a big fan of David Sills at all. Nothing about his game stands out to me & he's not the style of receiver this team is missing which would be a rebounder. Metcalf/Harry/Harmon & the Butler bros. are the WR's that fit what the jets need.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Mac passed on Mahomes yes, but it doesn’t make him a stupid. Do you really think Mahomes would have been even remotely as successful with the Jets as he was with the chiefs?

Like someone else said, we now have Jamal Adams leading the defense and Darnold a legit potential FQB. The fact that you are trying to kill Mac over the fact that he passed on Mahomes is pretty absurd. 10 teams passed on him and maybe more if Chiefs hadn’t traded up.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I understand that for sure. obviously the "perfect" pick would have been mahomes. But really looking at the 2017 draft thread nobody here said a peep about mahomes during the draft, When our pick came up i said trade down (i wanted trubisky who went 2nd overall and FWIW is a pro bowl QB in his 2nd year), most of the board was lobbying for adams or howard. Hindsight is always 2020. I do however fully disagree that safeties arne't game changers (ed reed, troy palamalu, etc). And i fully disagree that adams is not a game changer as well. QB is the most important position due to how much they touch the ball and yeah some positions will never be a game changer (FB, K, P) but pretty much every other position could be if the player is talented enough. I mean denver has 2 top 5 edge rushers (miller and chubb) who combined for 26.5 sacks and they sucked and went 6-10. There is no 1 right answer to winning a SB like that. it takes having a good well rounded team, good coaching, some luck, and lack of injuries. Every team will have holes or a glaring need. that is what happens in the NFL due to the salary cap and how hard the transition is from college to the NFL. it's designed like that on purpose.

as far as darnold being "blind luck" again you take away the fact he made the move up to 3 to be in a position to do that. I mean some people here literally thing a jets GM is always terrible no matter what yet praise other GMs for 1 good pick. It's honestly a bad joke at this point

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Bosa's got generational talent potential, close to can't miss. Last year, the Jets ended up with the top rated QB by most experts in a QB favored draft. This year they can end up with the top rated edge rusher in an edge rush/dline draft.

QB/Edge are the single most important positions on each side of the ball. It would be nice to have them covered for several years.

I understand the opposing view that the drop off in talent isn't huge, but it's still there.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Okay, much respect for a well thought out post. I just don't think they are going to avoid drafting a guy over his future cap implications. The way Macc structures his contracts, he should be able to free enough space to pay these guys when the time comes and surely he has thought about that.

What Macc should be thinking about the most, is how to get the best player possible to improve the team.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

You have multiple rounds to get cute and trade back for more picks. But you must nail the 1st round. You don't trade back with a Bosa or Allen as potential pass rushing nightmares there for the taking.

Godforsaken Macc traded back and passed on Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold. Chances are we'd have another 3 D.Lee type players to bitch and moan about as a fan base to scapegoat into whipping boys.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Man, imagine trading up for that third pick, and then trading back for more assets.

About as logical as the draft Haskins at 3 and hold him for ransom ideas.