Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Very true, until Mac (via Rich Cimini) 'lets it slip' he's in talks with the Giants! Then all of a sudden....well, you know.

It would make much more sense for the Jets to trade with the Gmen anyway. They get their QB and we get the #6 pick we can still use on a really good player plus a boat load more (see Colts 2018 draft as other have mentioned!)

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd still want a player like Scherff to move to 15.

M00ndawg and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

But you can't guarantee the guy we take at 3 is a franchise changing impact player.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know what the actual package would be or what is fair or what the chart says. I just did 2019 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 2020 1st for #3 overall.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Doesn’t seem to be a tough call at all. Seems to be a no brainer as far as I’m concerned. You take that trade immediately if it was offered.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well I'd rather take the kid in the 1st round who's projected highest. Because he's prob projected as a top 3 pick for a reason.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

While WE focus on the here and now, Mac's job is to look at today AND 3-4 yrs from now.

Would you be just as fine with staying at 3 and taking Bosa if you knew it would mean letting Adams walk in 3 years?

We'll have a bunch of big contract coming up soon:

Leonard Williams
    Jamal Adams
    Marcus Maye
    Quincy just got paid and Robby Anderson gets paid big time soon
    CJ Mosley (if he is the dominating LB we think he is, he'll need another payday)
    Le'Veon Bell will be due in 3 yrs, 4 at the most.
    AND Bosa will be looking for a huge 2nd contract at the same time.
    Then that 'Sam' kid will be looking for $40M/yr.

I know it's a good problem to have, but look at what Russell Wilson's pay day is doing to the 'Hawks. Tearing them apart. Mac's job is to avoid that if possible.

Maybe trading for a bunch of great 2nd round pics and avoiding another mega payday makes sense looking out 3-4 yrs.

Do we want 4 really good 2nd round guys getting $5-7/yr -or- a pass rusher getting $20 playing along side a bunch of no-name scrubs?

Decisions Decisions!

mrjet80 and nicg4360 like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cross that road when you get to it. Right now you want to build the best team around Sam. The argument is about now. Which is better? An elite DE or getting extra picks and players to fill other holes on the roster? That is the real decision to make. I am sure they are already planning for Adams and Darnold extensions. Others players might be expendable down the line. Time will tell. The Jets have sucked way too long to have that mindset you just suggested though.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

WTF!?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Say the #3 pick has a 60% chance of being a great player. And the picks we get as a result of a trade down (say the Giants' two first rounders) each have a 40% chance of being a great player. Then if we stay at 3, we have a 60% chance of one great player and a 40% chance of no great players. Whereas if we trade down, we have a 16% chance of two great players, a 52% chance of one great player, and a 36% chance of no great players. It's a clear win for us.

Disclaimer: I'm making up these percentages, but my point is there are situations where trading down is best.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Seahawks made the playoffs after a retool. They moved on from aging stars and replaced them with young up and coming talent. This is something the Jets need to do one day when Darnold gets paid.

Not all the players you listed will be worthy of a payday when the time comes. Mosley might be on the decline by the time his deal is over. Maye needs to have a 2017 like season this year before I'd even think about paying him. Bell is 27 and will likely be gone by the time Darnold gets paid. Jets haven't had a legit pass rusher for almost 15 years. Get one and worry about his payday in a few years. Drafting poorly in the middle rounds has left us with less young talent and depth than teams who are contenders.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

This is a well thought out post and a lot of folks don't realize how future cap implications play into the current draft. I will say I don't think the Jets are worried about Bell or Mosley - at this point just let them play neither one of them may get another Jets contract. Adams, possibly L. Williams, and of course Darnold will down the road. I think the Jets will be OK adding one or two more potential future huge contracts being it's at a position of great need (EDGE ) and don't forget a new LT probably next year.........and yes they really need to start hitting on these 2nd and 3rd round picks.

#112 mrjet80, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Trading down at the top of the draft sounds good in theory the problem is it usually results in drafting 2 or 3 mediocre players instead of a difference maker...would rather fill those holes in free agency and try and hit on a stud pass rusher.

#113 MJK, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is only true if the 3rd pick overall is guaranteed to be an impact player and theres zero chance at number 15 being an impact player. Which is not the case

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Should we be concerned that we may have to let Bosa walk in 5 years.

Actually, this scares me with every draft pick.

Better we don't take anyone.

Ever.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

A fan even THINKING about letting Adams go, should be a 1 day BAN IMO. That poster should've looked at the details of those contracts because there is always an out, some will be gone by the time Darnold gets paid. Or the deals will be with smaller cap hits.

17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahah dude, thats exactly the WRONG way to think if youre the GM. " cross the road when you get to it" gets you fired. Thats like playing 9 ball and thinking about 1 shot at a time....you cannot win that way.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A trade down in theory would make a lot of sense given the makeup of our roster. It would provide us with the ability to replenish with young talent, and if you hit on the picks, you can launch yourself into contention pretty quickly (Saints and Colts did this very recently). But, the draft is a crap shoot and I am in no way sure Macc has got what it takes to draft well enough to make the picks count.

I wouldn't be shocked if Darron Lee is moved sooner rather than later, and that will go down as a miss for Maccagnan. Macc's draft history is incredibly suspect, so it really comes down to, do you stay put, get a blue chip kinda player, or do you trade down and hope Macc has finally figured it out.

I'm personally in the middle on this.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yet Brady has been under payed to keep the cheating cunts from the normal cap hit problems, maybe others as well.

I guess he can't be slagged off for thinking glory over extra cash, it isn't like 10 years at 15-20m a year has left him facing bankruptcy, I still think there is some underhand payments due from Kraft or was before he got caught being wanked off by a hooker lol

20. 101GangGreen101

Jets are trying to win it all with Sam under the rookie contract. That road @The Dark Knight refers to will probably be here in about 2 or 3 years. Jets have those years before they have to start making decisions on handing out 2nd contracts to some of those FAs. Right now, it's time to hit on the draft this year and next.

The Dark Knight likes this.