Jets lost out on Zadarius Smith as well

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 20, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

According to Ian Rappaport, we were in a bidding war for this guy and lost out. It's frustrating that we seemed to miss out on all these outside linebacker's. I think, at this point, our best move is sign Houston to a 2 year deal and draft the best available rusher in draft.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Interesting - I never knew the Jets were even in on Smith .

3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Me either.....ignorance is bliss. It seems we miss out on a lot of free agents every year. As I've said before, winning will change things.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well the Jets may have missed out on a few but they did do very well this year . Better than past years.

Now if Mac can hit on a few middle draft picks ...

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's nice to know that the Jets were at least in on him. He's a good player, and I don't know how much the Packers paid him, but don't think he's worth huge money. At least the Jets made him a competitive offer and came in 2nd. That's better than not even offering him a contract ala Paradis and Morse.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We’re not going to win every bid guys. I will say the most annoying things though is how stubborn they have been about filling offensive line and pass rush. Why not be more aggressive in getting Paradis and any of the pass rushers instead of giving 17 m/year to Mosley? We have repeated on this forum for the past 10 years saying that the Jets need offensive line and pass rush and it’s funny how little we address it every year.

Dom likes this.
  7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We would’ve been killing Mac If we won bidding war and ended up paying him what Packers did and rightfully so.

I would’ve liked this guy based on his potential but not paying him the superstar contrast that he hasn’t been yet.

b.reyes16, LAJet, almbleamal and 2 others like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I did not know that about Smith. I do appreciate this FOs discipline and commitment to making reasonable offers. If it was me, I likely would haved caved pretty easily and likely would have made some bad deals out if desperation. So much pressure on this FO to get results this off season it has to be incredibly hard to not overspend.

There was a story today that said we still have 47 million of cap space left. I get the impression we will be rolling a good deal of money over into next years cap which is not a bad thing.

boozer32 and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Especially sitting at the top of the draft where there should be plenty of opportunity to get a top rookie at the position for much less money, I'm fine with not overpaying for him.

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Eh, money being equal picking to play with Rodgers over sam doesn’t bother me.
    It won’t be like that for much longer though.
    Sam will be a destination players flock to

Cman68, K'OB and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  11. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I actually wouldnt mind this. Jenkins and Allen/Bosa on 1st and 2nd down Houston and Allen/Bosa on pass rushing situations

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Paradis wanted to live a more country lifestyle somebody said.

13. Coming out of FA w.o a pass rusher is inexcusable.I dont care who’s sitting there at 3.

Quit being cute.

CBG and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I can get behind overpaying in FA for elite players like Mosely and Bell. They didn’t overpay for Bell but were obviously the highest bidder.

You start getting yourself in trouble with FA when you overpay for potential which is all Z Smith is at this point.

Noam likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Anthony Barr fucked them, plain and simple.

They thought they had him in the fray and he backed out on them and it damaged their chances of upgrading the position. If they knew Barr wasn't going to come to NY earlier, they could've been all over Smith from the get go. Nobody in the media is telling it like it is. What Barr did was cheap and unprofessional

16. Jet fans will not forget & never forgive.That much is for certain

CBG and BrowningNagle like this.
  17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone else overpaid more than we were willing to overpay? It can become a point of diminishing returns

joe likes this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, we had ArDarius Stewart and ArDarius at least rhymes with Zardarius so what are people complaining about? Stewart was like one of those knock-off Rolex watches or Coach bags. People barely knew the difference.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I would have liked to sign Smith as mentioned in the free agency thread, but there's a limit to what a platers value is. Smith had a good season, but it could be an outlier based on his prior seasons and his contract is being touted as the worst in free agency this season. $34 million plus the first 2 years, $16,500,000 average yearly. He's not a top 3 edge rusher and that is exactly where his contract slots him.

20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I feel Like Khalil Mack and Julio Jones could come play for us for free and people would be complaining about some minor transgression.

Footballgod214 likes this.