Jets meet with Steve Wisniewski(OL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Mar 19, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s a button for sharing the tweet. One option is “share tweet via “
    There you will see “copy link”
    Then you paste it here

Brook! and Sam Hammer like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Screw you kids and you new fangled demon magic.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Thank you! I will give that a shot next time!

4. I am not a fan of drafting a center early esp. under durress due to no other Center being on the roster. . It's one thing if it's a BPA circumstance or you have Nick Mangold level prospect staring the team in the face. There is no Nick mangold in this draft.

People are overrating the impact & prospect of drafting a center.Yes your center makes your line calls which is important...yes Long couldn't execute a shotgun snap the 2nd half of the season. But bottom line is Center's are rarely a college or pro team's best run blocker OR pass protector.There's no Center in this draft that is an exception to that.The jets have been spoiled by top end Centers basically throughout their entire existence..but don't let that cloud the overall impact the average Center makes.

The OL has been average at best b.c of the way they BLOCK...not b.c of line calls or blitz pick-ups. I would hate the team to draft a center who really isn't gonna improve the overall OL performance over a guard or Tackle that WILL make a difference.

The 2 biggest vacancies on this roster heading into the offseason were edge & Center. MAC has failed to address both.He didn't need to hold out for a non existent all pro...just someone smart enough to make the calls who is competent in the run game & pass pro. Going into this draft HAVING to draft a center is idiotic...and if this is the case come late April I fully expect MAC to be fired by year's end.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Regarding the bolded, from your lips to the Johnsons' ears!

I do disagree with you a little regarding two of the centers in the draft. While neither may be Mangold, I think Bradbury and Elgton Jenkins will be good, solid centers, and that will upgrade the OL as the center position has been a black hole the last 3-4 seasons. I'm in definite agreement that Mac needs to sign someone to play C prior to the draft, so that he doens't have to take a C. John Sullivan or even Josh Sitton would make me very happy. Brett Jones or S. Wisniewski would make me less happy, but still happier than going into the draft with only Harrison and Toth at C.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When I first read the thread title I saw, "Jets meet with Steve Wisniewski LOL"

Snatch Catch likes this.
  7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I agree with your read on the problem with the OL is how they block, not missing calls. The Jets do not have an unlimited amount of money. They have about $30 million left under the cap for this year, but $15-$20 million is for the drafted players ($10M) and a reserve for problems during the season, so they have $10-$15 million left they can use. I think its pretty clear that they think they can address edge during the draft probably with either Bosa or Allen, which I think would work pretty well. At center, the fact is that Wisniewski isn’t a great center and may not be significantly better than Harrison - maybe he’s not worth getting into a bidding war for, just as Houston may not have been worth getting into a bidding war for. The two really good centers this year both had major injury questions and, perhaps the decision was that they weren’t worth the risk. Macc is likely prioritizing what Gase and Williams tell him they need to prioritize.

Also, they have had Toth on the practice squad since last October at center - maybe they’ve decided that between Toth and Harrison they’ll have a viable center worst case. Calm down a little bit and let it play out. Macc knows what he needs and he’ll take care of it.

8. I do like Bradbury b.c he's very good laterally & in space. He's not great in his anchor but w. Osemele to his left perhaps that doesn't matter as much. That said..I'm not sure how the Jets land Bradbury at their current positioning. He's a mid 2nd round type prospect(Still a very good grade for a center) but will get overdrafted likely in the late 1st.

Jenkins i don't remember being very impressed with but I will take another look.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Offensive lineman who can play center

HOW ABOUT A GOD DAMN NATURAL CENTER?

After Long and his snap issues last year we really should've prioritized center better. I can understand them being concerned with Paradis injury. But Mitch Morse? Nothing?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. forevercursed

With the Jets failing to get a center and edge rusher it almost feels like that trade out of 3 may be in the cards. Where for example we swap with Washington and take a pass rusher around 15 (Sweat?) and then using one of Washingtons 2nd's to draft a center like Bradbury. A much more desirable situation would've been just signing Mitch Morse and then getting that projected elite pass rusher at 3.

There is no excuse to left with table scraps at center like the Jets are now. Or to have not signed some kind of pass rusher in free agency by now.

They just didn't prioritize things the right way. They did some nice things, Crowder, Bell on the cheap. Mosley, Poole. But what they let slip is unforgivable

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. forevercursed

They trade out of three and then trade back up into the bottom of 1. But these type of draft contortions should not have been necessary

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Perhaps they just liked what Harrison did last year coming in off the bench, never being a true focus for the team, and not getting quality reps prior to that, and still doing a fairly good job.

I would love to see a stud at the position or someone with talent and experience, which would only benefit Darnold that much more, but perhaps, we as fans are more concerned about the position than Mac and CS?

Just a thought.

KurtTheJetsFan, FJF and edray10 like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Perhaps we are more concerned about center than Mac and the CS. That doesn't make me feel any better.

14. NCJetsfan

Mosley was a nice add, but not a necessity. I'd much rather they have signed Morse or Paradis and then an edge rusher like Shaq Barrett than add Mosley. They were our two biggest needs and Mac pretty much just ignored them evidently with the plan to just draft players at those positions.

15. NCJetsfan

If we, the fans are more concerned about the C position than Mac, Gase and Pollack, then God help us. They'd better be right, or it could be a long season, and all of our excitement vanish right before our eyes.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I'd totally be against that (trading back up into the bottom of 1). If they're concerned about the C position, didn't sign anyone, and are counting on getting their C in the draft, they deserve to miss and to be fired for their stupidity. If they trade down, they need to stay put and take the best players they can. It just may mean that they have to reach for Elgton Jenkins with their 2nd round pick. I like him better than Bradbury anyway.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Shit, me neither, just an observation. Haha

I definitely hope they are concerned but they simply may not be.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mosley is an elite talent, something that Paradis and especially Morse have never been and never will be.

I cannot believe how much the fanbase is crying over not signing average to above average players. Especially Morse, my god the guy has never been anything other than an average injury prone center and is now the highest paid center in NFL history lol.

Weren’t you also the one getting on Mac for not signing Jensen or Richburg last year? Guess what?? He was right! You know why? Because they suck and if we overpaid for them last year we’d be right back needing a center this year.

I cannot believe there is anyone that would have preferred to sign one of these average players that was not signed over an elite player in Mosley. We have plenty of average talent, what we desperately needed this offseason is an infusion of elite talent.

#38 Attackett, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  19. NCJetsfan

Yes we need an infusion of elite talent, but we also need at least average talent at positions of glaring need like C and edge rusher. It remains to be seen whether Jensen and Richburg suck. They were good with their previous team and were highly rated last year in FA for a reason. They struggled with their new team. Maybe the new team's blocking scheme isn't a fit or the OL chemistry isn't good. I don't and I don't really care. All I care about is fixing the black hole that's been the C position for the Jets for the last 3-4 seasons and keeping Sam upright and healthy. Waiting until the draft in a draft that's thought not to be a good one for centers sure isn't the answer!

Yes, Mosley is an elite talent. He's certainly being paid like one, and with the way our C position is looking, he will be needed, because we'll be on defense a lot.

You obviously don't care about our OL or want to see the truth of the matter. That's cool. Carry on being a fanboy of Mac's.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Oh I care about OL, that’s why I was super excited when Mac traded for the best OL that changed teams this offseason for basically nothing, who btw is also an elite talent.

Fanboy? That’s cute. I’m moreso realistic though and can give credit when Mac has done a good job, which he certainly has this offseason. I also don’t whine constantly over not signing average talent and understand that there are 31 other teams that are also trying to improve their teams through FA.

Perhaps though we should’ve locked Paradis in a closet and forced him to sign in a place that he maybe had no interest in being?

K'OB and FJF like this.