Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Which is why Macc wouldn't do it. He went out of character last year with his gamble to trade up for a QB, but that's because he HAD to get a potential FQB after skipping on taking one the year before (ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!). I truly wouldn't expect him to be so adventurous.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I specified "trades him for picks" to rule out the Giants-Chargers trade. I can argue the Chargers did take Eli to trade him for picks, but the Chargers were also looking for a QB (which they ultimately got as part of the trade) and may have stuck with Eli had he changed his mind after being drafted. I'm referring to a scenario where a team that doesn't need a QB takes a QB to swap him for picks.

3. ColoradoContrails

I'm not sure the distinction is that great. I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I'm guessing the Chargers had some strong reason to believe they could get the Giants to agree to trade, otherwise they would've risked taking Eli and having him refuse to play for them and being stuck with a blown pick. In a similar fashion, I would expect Macc to do some real digging to see how likely one or both teams would agree to such a trade. Still, I don;t think Macc is that much of a gambler.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It would be pretty lame for the Jets to draft Haskins and trade him for picks. It would be looked down upon by the NFL and rightfully so. Not fair to do to the kid either. I personally would not like that. I agree it would maximize the return the Jets would get though.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think the reason that Mac drafting Haskins is different from the Chargers drafting Eli is what @The Dark Knight said. The Chargers drafting Eli was reasonable because they needed a QB and Eli was refusing to play for them. But drafting a QB you don't want when you don't even need a QB is unprecedented. And it either makes you look like a jerk or a genius.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I disagree with taking Haskins then trading him. The other teams would know we want to get rid of him and we would loose trading power.

7. ColoradoContrails

Good point.

8. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't want them to give up a shot at Josh Allen or Nick Bosa. We haven't even attempted to get an elite edge rusher in over 10 years. We got a bust in Vernon Gholston, then decided that we should never again attempt to draft an edge rusher. Every year when we had the opportunity to correct this problem, our GM, whether Tannenbaum, Idzik, or Mac, got swayed into drafting a defensive tackle because they felt he was "too good to pass up." Unless Bosa and Allen are off the board, I want to stay at 3.

Sam Hammer and Donttasemebro like this.
  9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Realistically, the Skins pick in 2020 is looking damn near certain to be a top 5, maybe even top 3.

That team is bad ya'll. Real bad.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

As others have said, this could be a Jets leak to LaCanfora just to drum up interest and get others to try to "beat" the Redskins offer.

Others also asked about picks/players and there are rumors the Redskins are looking to move on from Josh Norman. he isn't the player he was, but he would fill our need for another CB.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

3 is definitely the hotspot if a team wants to trade ahead of Giants pre draft. A team like the Redskins can’t go up to 4 or 5 predraft knowing the Jets are anxious to move down.

Getting to 3 predraft is basically check mate like it was last year knowing 1 or 2 are not moving or would be way to cost prohibitive to move into that spot.

Ideally we’d trade with the Giants asap but would go to 15 with a bounty of picks. A trade down could be franchise altering.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

I know the trade up last year was. :cool:

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Redskins want to trade up, I would see what their offer is and then see if the Giants can make us a better offer. Tell the Giants they want to draft Haskins ... create some drama in the NFC East.

I really want those first rounders the Giants have.

14. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

What are you talking about??? We also drafted Coples and how did THAT turn out......oh wait....nevermind

15. The Dark Knight

How about this:
    15. Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson
    46. Erik McCoy C Texas A+M
    76. David Sills WR West Virginia
    Washington's 2020 1st Round Pick

or 3. Nick Bosa/Josh Allen

It is a tough call if the Skins would be willing to give a package like that.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair that was the opposite. the chargers wanted him, he just didn't want the chargers

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Forget trading down. If an impact player is there @ 3 and can change our franchise as an impact player? Well then, you draft him. Quality over Quantity.

Sam Hammer and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That thought actually crossed my mind. If nobody trades up, they draft him anyway and force a needy team to trade. It would probably be frowned upon like you said.

It could also screw the Jets, because teams might not want to trade during the draft, which means no extra picks for this year, only next and the value would probably diminish the longer it goes. They are not likely to get any of the 1st round prospects they passed on this year and likely will not pick that high in the draft for a while, so it could be a waste of a #3 overall.

#100 Sam Hammer, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019