Will Mac have a better draft this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Mar 19, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't move him for a late round pick unless there is a player they really covet late and want to insure they get him or just can't stand the sight of Lee any more, and since it's a new CS, don't see how that could be the case. He's still very cheap this year, and is better depth than Hewitt, and he's probably better in coverage than Williamson or Mosley.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

papapump, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

CB, C and RB in rounds 3 & 4 would be one way to go. Another would be to substitute WR for either RB or CB. Our WR corps is far from set. While we can't fix all our holes in one offseason, Sam needs a better WR corps, and there are some very good WR prospects who will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There will also be a couple of decent LT prospects that probably will be available in the 2nd round. That's why I want to trade down. If we could still get Brian Burns with our #1 pick, then add an LT prospect in the 2nd round, and then with 3-3rd round picks add a C, WR and CB that would be huge, as would be adding a C in the 2nd round, then adding a WR, CB and either RB or OL in the 3rd round, and then the other position (RB or OL) in the 4th round. As long as Mac got solid players who can contribute with each of those picks, the overall team depth would be greatly improved regardless if one of them was a homerun type pick or not. I think the team would be better adding 5 solid contributors than adding one stud/HR in the 1st round and then solid picks in rounds 3 and 4.

#43 NCJetsfan, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

And the Jets select... Dewayne Robertson.... Vernon Gholston.... Quinton Coples.....Dee Millner....Calvin Pryor... It was a running gag that the Jets 1st round pick was awful. So many years we watched the Jets pick to "Who?" "Why?"

But in the last few years Mac has picked Leo (Good), Adams (Better) and Darnold (Great?) Everyone thinks those picks were layups and maybe they were, but early 1st round picks were anything but layups for the Jets in the past.

Mac had his share of stinkers too, dont get me wrong. Hack was brutal. Both WR's taken last year 3rd and 4th and out of the NFL are brutal. But so far, Mac has been able to backfill with productive FA's, late round picks and UFA's. I think Anderson and Herndon are going to have a great year catching passes from Sam which takes some of the sting from whiffing on Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. And while he hasnt drafted much OL help over the years the Jets have signed decent starters cheaply like Beachum and Carpenter.

Now he had a very good free agency with Bell, Mosely, Crowder and Osemele. And he is likely to get his pass rusher next month. Watch Nick Bosa drop to 3 and Mac the lucky Irishman scoop him up.

Mac deserves to stay as GM while we find out if Gase can make Sam the star QB we think he is.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Take away his inept handling of big contracts eg Revis, lazy Mo, Fitz ..that big whiff on Hack ..and unproductive drafting outside of SD ...you have a very Average GM in Mac

Now that his Average azz is on the hot seat to prob get fired in a couple of years..he is doing some Honor Roll hiring in FA imo

Plus Gase will hopefully make a star outa BOTH Sam D and GM Mac lol

Come draft day all he needs to do is shuddup and listen to Williams/Gase

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stinkyB likes this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is really the next 2 drafts that will shape this team. I think he needs to nail the two first rounders and next year's second. If he can get another two starters and some backups out of it...I think we will be set up nicely. I actually have no idea what kind of FA money we will have next year

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Macc was expending 80% of his time looking under every stone for a FQB. Which means he was delegating 80% of the draft to his underlings.

Now that Sam's under contract, I expect the draft, especially the later rounds, to have Macc's fingerprints all over them. If it's better or worse, time will tell, but every pick will definitely have far mare MaCangnan DNA than prior drafts.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

You can't teach an old dog new tricks so I go with history and to answer the OP-----> no. I will be happy to eat crow if Mac has a good draft but its well documented how I feel about Mac and how his drafts have gone.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. W Bell/Mcguire/Cannon already in tow..while a tough inside runner like Bennie Snell would fit in well..I think WR takes precedent & by all accounts its a stronger class compared to RB

11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

As a fan, I am hoping that Gase or Williams are the missing ingredients to a successful draft

Left to himself, Macc sucks -- no way to sugar coat it

He has tended to seek value, e.g., guys who slide in the draft, or guys who are coming off injuries or down years hoping for a bounce back (btw -- that's how we got Herndon when we did). The problem is those guys may be sliding for a reason, or may have a tendency to be injured or start of a decline in play. So as a strategy seeking value may be smart, but his execution of that strategy sucks -- especially for a guy whose calling card was supposed to be scouting/evaluation.

On the flip side you see teams like KC moving up and "over-drafting" Mahomes or Saints moving for Davenport; Macc's strategy take which ever QB is left at 3. The former teams had an idea of what player they wanted and could make a star of and thought quite independently. The latter talks himself out of Alvin Kamara even though CS was supposedly pushing him

Teams like Pats are looking for smart and tough players. Fairly often people scratch their heads at their drafts. If you ask Macc what does he look for in a player, I'd be surprised if he could answer

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only productive thing Mac did to get us a QB was the trade with the Colts. One trade didn't take 80% of his time. As for the rest of Mac's QB decisions, I could have gotten better results by spending 5 minutes reading Mel Kiper's big board.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Early and often??? MacCagnan even address offensive line in draft? He has drafted a grand total of TWO offensive lineman in 4 years and both in round 5. He is on record as stating he does not believe in using decent draft picks on the OL, preferring free agents and late round picks. Resigning a worthless scrub like Qvale is MacCagnan's idea of addressing the OL "early and often," not the draft.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

THIS !!!!

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In re: your previous point about not needing a HR, just 3-4 singles - when you're at bat and you know the guys hitting behind you aren't likely to get a hit, you need to swing for the fence if you want to score.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yup. Macc never spent long nights in a dark film room watching hundreds of hours of tape on all the QBs in the draft. Macc never spent days on the road at the combine. Macc never spent days on the road going to QB pro days. Macc never spent days hosting QB at Jets Drive. Macc never spent hours working the phones looking for trades. Macc never pushed buttons on his desk top calculator working the numbers. Nope, your right.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Mac really did all that work (which he probably did), it's pretty sad. Considering the fruits of that work were Petty and Hack. And then passing on Mahomes and Watson (and Prescott the year before but nobody knew Prescott would be a decent starter). Ultimately Mac landed Darnold (which I think will work out but there's a chance it doesn't), but he had to trade three second rounders to move up. And if the Giants had taken Darnold, we'd have Allen or Rosen. I guess my point is it doesn't matter how hard you work if you aren't good at your job.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is so far off it’s silly

19. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Judging by another thread on this board - the general consensus is that Adams got Le’Veon Bell to sign with the Jets. Along that line of thinking I can only imagine Adams will be the one making all the decision at the draft.

LAJet likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Just dont draft anyone from D3 Whack-a-Mole Junior College. Draft athletic football players who are proven against decent competition.