Pass rushers available now.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Pressure up the middle is the true nemesis to QB's. Pushing them off their spot and preventing them from stepping up to avoid the outside pass rush.

Rex was big on pressure up the middle (Richardson/Snacks). Without pressure up the middle, outside pass rushers are almost pointless. A QB with a quick release and an open pocket to step up into nullify even the best outside pass rushers.

Teams have been putting so much emphasis on pressure up the middle that Guards who can pass block are getting paid as much as LT's.

It's pressure on the QB either way. Up the middle or around the edge. It just comes down to what scheme a team is running and which player would have the most impact.

Edit: Remember how much fun we had with Jenkins up the middle!!!

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, I get what you mean, but then are you saying that Leo isn't doing his job well, because isn't that what he's supposed to be doing? Again, as they now stand they have McClendon and Leo on the inside, right? So are you advocating for still another inside player? Or are you saying Leo should be traded? How would you compare Leo and Q?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^

we just signed anderson for 3 years and we have (leo) williams who the jets love and will likely lock up long term. drafting (Q) williams means that we would have a richardson/wilkerson/williams situation and would be moving on from Leo for Q which really won't be much of an upgrade and kind of crazy to use the 3rd pick on. It makes much more sense to get and edge rusher (allen) or trade down and see if we can't address multiple holes instead of drafting a position we are already pretty strong at.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought we already did a couple of days ago. Copeland's a nice player, and played very well for us last season, but I would rather have had Shaq Barrett or Justin Houston than Copeland.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pats are interested in him

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

Also, the Thursday night thing is lame.

I wish it was still on Saturday and Sunday

FJF, NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya it's a bit of a quandry. With no serious outside pass rush, our interior lineman can be dbl teamed on almost every pass play. (just read that Anderson, who we just re-signed, was dbl teamed on 60% of snaps). So outside rush is definitely important. But without inside pressure, outside rush is easily avoided. Teams need both. Even Von Miller and Chubb can be shut out without an inside pass rush.

If Nick Bosa is there at 3, by all means take him. He could be a dominant outside pass threat to go along with Williams/Anderson up the middle. But if Bosa is gone, then it comes down to Allen (outside) vs Quinnen Williams (interior). Williams is a far better interior lineman than Allen is an outside rusher. We need outside pass rush more than interior, but again, if Bosa is gone, Macc may go BPA and take Williams and look for pass rush elsewhere.

I'm not saying I'm for either one. Just saying how I see things unfolding knowing how Macc operates.

#87 Footballgod214, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

exactly that. teams are smart and try to gameplan out the other teams best players and make the others beat them. if you have 5 o-lineman on 3 d-lineman the d-line isn't going to win but it opens up the OLBs to get a 1 on 1 vs a TE or RB. when your OLBs can't win those matchups, you can't get pressure. If you have OLBs that win those matchups, other teams need to use a Tackle to block them and sometimes even a TE/RB to chip or help like against a von miller which means that your d-line is going to get a more favorbile match-up plus the TE/RBs route will be interrupted or not an option. Everything in football is linked up which is why stats don't mean everything. If your d-line isn't getting sacks but eating up 5 o-lineman they are doing their job and giving the OLBs good matchups, the OLBs need to win those

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Shaq signed with the Bucs. Houston is still out there.

Copeland is a very solid player, and a great off-field presence to keep around from a franchise standpoint.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I just wonder: if we draft a stud this year he will be looking for a king's ransom one year after Sam gets his king's ransom. I know the cap will be higher, but will that be manageable?

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Guys likeBrady and Brees like to step and throw-not go side to side. Inside pressure throws them off.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that Barrett signed with the Bucs and is no longer available. That's why I said would rather have had Barrett than Copeland (past tense). Copeland is a very solid player, but Barrett is better than Copeland. Houston IS still available, is better than either one of them, and Mac should have signed him already if Houston is willing to sign.

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The plan for me heading into this season was to sign one and draft one in terms of pass rushers. I'm fairly certain we'll draft one, but we've got to go out there and make a move on a Houston or Ansah or Nick Perry

Bose + Houston free agent signing and all of a sudden we have a decent pass rush

14. But if you dont have a legit outside pass rush OL can just pinch inward & easily negate the inside push.You have to have evenly distrubuted pass rushers both inside and out to spread OL’s out.Solely inside rush theyll pinch,solely an outside rush theyll slide or short set.

Jets have HAD a good inside push for nearly a decade but OL’s are able to adjust by designing protection packages that commit resources to the interior & completely negate it bc theres no one respectable on the edge.

Leo/Mcclendon/Anderson all can collapse the pocket & get off blocks.If we’re serious about getting after Shady Cell phone boy..we need an edge.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

almbleamal and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Pass rushers what means this thing I am not from this country. I am sick of hearing that Abraham had the flu against the Raiders. I understand this is being a skirt. Did he wear a tutu.

#96 jetophile, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Cross that bridge when we get to it. But star players are the ones who should be paid big money, especially homegrown ones.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link Hammer. I have this funny feeling that the Jets and the Cowboys have something in the works that includes Lawrence and some movement during the draft. This is a gut feel only on my part, not based on any rumors or information. But something tells me Dallas want to leapfrog the draft for something they consider special. Of course there is a huge likelihood I'm completely wet on this one, once again.

19. I could see Lee interesting them as well as Quinnon Williams.All very interesting

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think you're onto something. I hope so.