Will Mac have a better draft this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

With a new coaching staff whispering in his ear?

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Better is a relative term.
    I just want him to have a good draft

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Now that we have Darnold already here, our GM can enter this draft, as he did Free Agency; not having to worry about the QB position. That is big time within itself.

The beautiful thing about having a Franchise QB is the fact that throughout every offseason both free agency and draft you have yourself a QB to build around.

With Sam Darnold in place, I fully expect for Macc to knock it out the park. Edge Rusher and O-Line will both be addressed early and often.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I would settle for a good draft too, it would be about time.

5. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

It will be interesting to watch. He has been pretty good in the first round, but I'd like to see some starters from mid to later round picks. I'm leaning towards him having a better draft given the years leading up and this FA period in particular, throw in the fresh perspectives from a new coaching staff and I think he should improve.

6. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I hope you are right brother, I know Mac wasn't here for the 2014 draft but that draft still haunts me. That GM( I won't even say his name) should be out of the league for his ineptitude.

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

He has to. He's been bad with 2-3 rounders for the most part. The Jets have two 3rds, so it will very much matter this year. I do think Gase and Williams will play a role.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes and with Darnold now a Jet thank the football God's that Macc will no longer have to gamble 2nd and 3rd round picks on the likes of Hack and Petty. Now that our GM has his QB that alone makes drafts a lot easier to nail it A+

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .P-Staxx, . connecting the dots . . . . one thought at a time . . .

Harpua and FJF like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think every year he got a bit better...do there is that

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the $64,000 question. He has shown some improvement, so there's reason to have some hope in that regard.

I read recently that Bowles and Rodgers never gave any input to Mac as to whom they wanted him to draft or what kind of players they wanted. On one hand, that makes this draft scary, as I was hoping that we could blame some of the lousy picks on Bowles and Rodgers, but see now that we can't. In that article I think it said that Gase and Williams have given Mac that input already, so that should help, and is further reason to have hope. Mac has been lucky with 1st round picks. Maybe this year, that luck extends to 3rd round picks as well, or maybe two players that Gase or Williams want will be sitting there at the Jets' 3rd round picks, will fit needs and he'll take them. We just have to hope.

One thing is for certain, I don't think he should get any more chances. If he only comes away from this draft with a very good player taken in the 1st round and nothing else, then he should be fired imo.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll withhold judgment until after the draft, but based on his record, I don't think he's going to hit the HR he needs.

boozer32, chandler and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Could you give a link so we all can read that article?

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

"With Williams and Gase whispering in his ear">>>>>>>yes absolutely better.

Without help , guy is clueless where it counts (2nd round on )

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He doesn’t need a hr, just 3-4 singles in this draft will help immensely

mrjet80, Harpua and phubbadaman like this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Bingo!!

I think this is gonna be the BIG difference this year. Going into every draft with a desperate need at QB will often times cause rash decisions all in the search of the franchise guy. Having filled that position, he now has the freedom to go after big playmakers without sacraficing the "potential QB" pick

Brook! likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He doesn't need a HR. He might have already hit his homerun last year with Darnold. And if it plays out as it seems, that will be his "shot heard round the world"

Either way, I think his homerun this year falls right into our laps if we stay put at pick 3. Bosa or Allen will fall to us at 3. Both, IMO, are homeruns. It's the later round picks, as many on here have said, that make the biggest difference.

Having an offensive minded coach and a defensive guy like Williams in Macs ear, I think, will help a ton

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

With only 6 draft picks in this draft, it is highly unlikely we end up with more than 1-2 starters.

I hope we can manage to get a bonafide starter at 3rd overall and perhaps a 3rd round olineman who can start some games in the latter part of the year. Depth and role players would also be very solid.

As others have said, have a good draft and his off-season will have been a home run.

NYJetsO12, jdon and LAJet like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's odd..... Thankfully he's done fairly well with the early (big money) selections (Daron Lee is just ok, but if you look at the list of guys taken after, he seems alot better).... and does well at the very end / UFDA / trading late round picks...... unfortunately he over thinks the middle "bread and butter" rounds that are needed to have a solid rotation on the team.

Brook!, Cman68, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I hope so. But, he needs to do better in rounds 2-4. Way too many misses in these important rounds where good GM's are able to find solid players and stars.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.