Who do you want as Sam's backup?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, Mar 15, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They can have romantic dinner and movie nights without McCown making $10 mill as a terrible backup QB.

Besides, idk why anyone can't seem to believe that Sam Darnold is probably just a good dude who will have a nice working relationship with practically any backup QB.

Ralebird and Acad23 like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

Yes I am convinced of that as well. Well said

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Gimme a good ole QB competition for the backup job.

Would love to see Davis Webb vs. Blake Bortles or Josh McCown (Assuming he even wants to play).

4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

1. Sam Darnold
    2. Davis Webb - Jets like Webb + why keep him around if he can't be the 2nd string QB.
    3. John Wolford - I liked this kid last year, they will need another arm to take reps in camp + he's looked good in AAF.

b.reyes16 and almbleamal like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think this will probably be the way they go.

dmarz45 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not content with having the Giants QB of the future and the one they passed up, we're going to land their QB of the past too?

rinvesto likes this.
  7. spinjani

spinjani Member

Anyone up for Rosen? If we could get him for the Saint's third, he would be someone to really push Darnold and probably the backup most likely to win us games. Rumor has it that's what Arizona is expecting in return. Maybe send some bit players along with the draft pick.

Darnold seems like a great guy and a hard-worker, but this would light a fire under his ass like nothing else could. Darnold is not Sanchez that I think we need to worry about his feelings. Plus, Darnold seemed to respond well to being benched (again, why he's not like Sanchez) and I think Rosen would probably do well to just sit and learn from our qb-whisperer, ala Aaron Rodgers (I'm not saying he will reach that level, but he will get better). I think Rosen will go for higher than the Saint's pick, but Arizona may want to send him far away to someone who won't play them once he is good.

I know our draft picks are too few to spend them lightly, but I don't think we are making the Super Bowl this year- take a center with the first pick in the third, and we may even be able to parlay Rosen into a high pick later.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bortles offers the team a far better chance to win a game than McCown. That's the only thing that should be considered in selecting a backup QB. Well, that and the money but the Jets paid McCown ten million last year, didn't they?

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Atta boy, Charles Dickens; although it is a little early for A Christmas Carol.

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Bortles to the Rams to back up Goff.

IMO, see how Webb does in the Spring. If Gase doesn't like what he see's, call in "The Brock Lobster."

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Semian would be a fine choice as a backup. He's started in this league and looked not awful. Should the unthinkable happen he wouldn't Sanchez it up back there

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Ok but I am NOT wearing a Semien jersey

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep. I think I mentioned this a few pages back.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Why not give Davis Webb the opportunity to back Sam up? He was a 3rd round pick and from what I've heard his works his ass off in practice. I want to see what he can do rather than spend any money on another QB.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No. No. Absolutely not. Sam doesn't need to be pushed or need to have someone light a fire under his ass. It would also not be fair to Rosen, as he would have 0 chance to ever start for the Jets besides injury. Plus it may cost a 1st or 2nd Round pick to get him.

Yeah, I would be fine with Siemian as Sam's back-up. He is the best choice available right now.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sign McCown and let Webb compete with him for the number two spot.
    If Webb steps up that's all the better.

Siemian is the only other QB I'm even remotely interested in.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I didn't like Rosen that much last year, and I like him even less now. More importantly, Sam doesn't need anyone to push him. He's either going to take a step forward this year or he isn't. We can't afford to trade one of our 3rd round picks for a QB that will never play. Sorry, but I think that's a horrible idea.

K'OB likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gase has only seen him on a little tape, and won't get a chance to work with him until mini-camp at the earliest, and more likely, OTAs. I don't see any way the Jets hand him the backup spot without Gase working with him first and seeing where Webb is in his development. They need more than 2 QBs for TC and for the season. Injuries happen. So, I think they have to sign a proven FA QB to backup Sam. If they pay big money for a vet to come in, he's not gonna want to compete for the backup spot, and probably not be willing to be the #3 QB unless he's no good, and if that's the case, why sign him?

Webb will be a restricted FA next year, so they have a year to continue to develop him and see what he can do. The Jets could give him a lot of work in preseason and keep him as #3 QB this season, and if he shows that he has improved enough, they could tender him and try to sign him as their long-term backup, or trade him next year for a pick.

20. spinjani

spinjani Member

Serious question, because I really don't know- how important is the scout team qb? During practices in the regular season, what do the second/ third qbs do, if anything, during the week to help get the team prepared? I know reps are super valuable especially since the CBA, but is it always first team offense vs first team defense?