Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We need Mac to uncover a few Henry Anderson type FA's or trades...low cost high return type guys.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Justin Houston
    Cassius Marsh
    Josh Sitton
    Matt Kalil
    Shane Ray

3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I’m good with all of this but kalil.

What’s the story with Ray? Is he a UDFA. I think he’d be a perfect grab for us.

#1603 TurkJetFan, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, we missed out on Shaq Barrett. We could have signed him for just $5 million or so. C'mon, Mac, get off your ass! Sign Houston, Sitton, and a C!!!!

5. NCJetsfan

Ray is a UDFA, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Shaq Barrett. Mac screwed the pooch on that. He signed a one-year deal with the Bucs for $5 million. Ray's still worth a flier, I guess. He did have 8 sacks and 48 tackles in starting just 8 games in 2016. He's still just 25.

Isn't Marsh more of a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB? At 269 lbs. I think he's getting a little heavy to play OLB. He is just 26, so that's in his favor.

Nick Perry is still available as well. I don't understand Mac's not signing one of Houston, Perry, Barrett, Ray.

Sitton may be holding out for a chance to start and starter's money.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

too many idiots on this board think every time a FA signs with a team other than teh Jets than it must have been Mac's fault. How fucking idiotic

Ralebird, NYJFOREVER, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Some forget that there are 32 teams in this league...

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think there are way too many dudes here who think these players are Jet fans.

"Maybe [insert prized free agent name] will come here on a cheap one year prove it deal, if he doesn't want toplay for us, fuck him."

Like guys are lining up to play for our team/any team because the fans want it to be true.

Guys sign places for money, then familiarity, then what the wife wants, then lifestyle, then winning. Fandon comes way down on the list. Because they are fans of themselves, not teams. Not your team.

NCJetsfan, b.reyes16 and jonnyd like this.
  9. jonnyd

or people who didnt want Bell but are pissed we didnt get Shaq Barret lol

10. b.reyes16

I like Shaq Barrett a lot but he's no Khalil Mack lol. I still want to see us use the majority of our remaining cap space, but we shouldn't be rushing to sign everyone available...nor is it realistic to expect.

Bell, Mosley, and Crowder alone is a hell of a FA class...

Mr mittens likes this.
  11. jonnyd

yes and theres still a ton of players that will be cut between now and the start of the season.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

10 Free Agents Left that Make Potential Sense for the Jets:
    -Justin Houston
    -Darqueze Dennard
    -Nick Perry
    -Michael Crabtree
    -Pierre Garcon
    -Blake Bortles
    -Josh Sitton
    -Dez Bryant
    -John Sullivan
    -Stephen Wisneiwski

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Barr would have made it a homerun but Bosa/Allen would be a hell of a consolation prize.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Just skimming your list & I would welcome Houston here. The WR's tho, no thanks.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd like to see them add a backup QB, competition/depth at C, probably an OLB (cautiously assuming they can get Allen or Bosa), and an outside CB. I see some fair options for the former three, but outside CB seems to be especially limited. Is it possible they really like Roberts or even Derrick Jones?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, it has been a hell of a FA class, but we still have holes, have cap space, and there are still worthy players out there. It's no time to rest on our laurels. I don't think that anyone expects Mac to sign everyone available, to sign everyone we like, or everyone that he tries to sign. It's just frustrating when we know we have holes and hear nothing but crickets. It would be helpful at least to know that Mac had contacted agents/players and that they're contemplating offers or had turned down the Jets' offer to sign elsewhere. At least we'd know that Mac is not just resting on his laurels, but still actively trying to improve the team.

Barrett may be no Khalil Mack, but he's probably a better edge rusher than anyone we presently have on the roster, and is nothing to be blithely dismissed.

#1616 NCJetsfan, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  17. NCJetsfan

I bolded the players that I think make the most sense. That said, I doubt Mac will sign another CB. I think he definitely needs to sign Sullivan. He's solid and dependable. We can't count on getting one of the top C prospects in the draft, nor should we go into the draft having to draft a starting C. I'd love to see him sign Houston, but doubt he will. Perry or Barrett would have been nice as well, but evidently Mac plans to address that solely in the draft (which I think is a mistake). I'd also love to see Josh Sitton signed to push Winters and provide fabulous depth at OG. He can also play C in a pinch, but he probably wants to be a guaranteed starter and guaranteed money. Maybe he will sign eventually once his price comes down.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought they could potentially be low-risk signings (Crabtree, Garcon or Dez) and if they produced, it would be a bonus for Sam. If not, no biggie.

The Jets holes are clearly pass rusher, #2 CB, Center, and back-up QB. It would be nice to fill at least some of those spots before the draft.
    Yeah, I agree with all of that. Good post.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Regarding the backup QB spot, Mac may be waiting to see what McCown decides. We know he likes McCown. In fact, I think that's probably the case. The other possibility is that they like Webb and are planning to just stick with him as the backup, but I think that's less likely, especially since that would leave the Jets with just 2 QBs on the roster. I think they want at least 3 QBs on the roster for OTAs, TC and preseason.

I can't imagine that Mac is thinking of drafting a backup QB, unless Gase has told him there's a QB he really likes that should be available in the 3rd or 4th round.

20. b.reyes16

The #2 CB is better than the overpaid #1... could probably use a full rebuild on the position, but for now it's not a terrible duo and Poole should be better than Skrine at the very least.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.