Playoff team or no? What do we need to do to get there?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Playoffs omg did you see the players we signed!!! We're going to the Super Bowl,

stinkyB likes this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Meh... I dont think we make the playoffs as of now.

Main concerns for me are

Defensive Backfield
    OL
    Depth

We have some major issues right now. We are currently looking at Robert's being the #2 CB, which may work, but I am skeptical. Tru has us all doubting things but he played so much off man under Bowles, I gotta think his arrow goes up with William's in the fold. Its still a question mark though. Maye has to show he can stay healthy. None of us really know how well Poole will be for is in the slot.

Our line on paper is better with the trade for Ose. However. I didnt feel Carpenter was the weak link on that line though, I think Harrison is a huge question mark. Shell after injury. Winters is so inconsistent it hurts. Terrible depth on the line.

I think unless these areas are addressed, especially at depth players in these spots. It's going to be tough sledding.

onefanjet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll wait until after the draft to make a solid prediction, but I hope they are at least in the p.o. hunt to the end, even if they don't make it. They need to be competitive anf Gase and his staff need to prove they were the right choice - there won't be much of a honeymoon period.

dogg likes this.
  4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

We have to throw away systems and be fluid like water and then, we will make the playoffs.

After the draft, look at the team, and structure your strategy each week to maximize your strengths and expose your opponents weaknesses

All while being unpredictable and also hiding your weaknesses and avoid your opponents strengths.

That’s it and that’s all.

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm being cautiously optimistic but holy crap have we beefed up our team. If Darnold continues the trend from last year, we could be a really damn good team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This.

If Darnold become who I think he will, we’re a playoff team.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Weapons are there

NCJetsfan and themorey like this.
  8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think if Darnold continues to progress they have a solid chance. And if the Patriots finally regress...

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not this year though.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You are messing with my ch’i.

Stop bullying me.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

WTG Bud...gutsiest call so far

That's the attitude the Jets have to have ...slay the NE Giant

FACT: T Bowles beat the once and Gase twice

BudJet likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we can get a bit better on D in the DB dept and at least a 'threat' rushing the passer, and on O if we get a Center and LT, we're in like sin. Prolly even knock NE off the mountain.

Let's see what magic Mac pulls out of his hat with the remainder of FA and of course the draft.

Mac's 2 3rd round pics will be the key to finding guys who can step in day 1 and help the team.

Without spending 90% of his waking hours searching for a FQB, Mac has a chance to really shine.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see any way that Gase and Williams get fired. They're here for at least 3-4 years unless Williams gets offered a HC job.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Gase.

That's the single biggest unknown and the most important; if he is unable to be the coach Jets fans have been promised there is no chance of a playoff appearance. A few guys here have mentioned him in terms of calling plays or bringing Darnold along but his job is much, much more important and broader than just that.

His little buddy is the QB coach - is he capable or is he just bates.2? Yeah, Gase needs to call the plays on offense, but he also needs to be in charge of the entire team and the entire game; this "delegating" of defensive responsibilities cannot become his shield if things go south. Same with special teams. Gase is responsible for clock management and challenges and he better be damn sure he doesn't let that get away while he is concentrating on the offense.

Finally, he needs to have every coach and every trainer and every player on the same page - something it appears he had a problem with in Miami. Everything else follows the path he blazes.

#74 Ralebird, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    ColoradoContrails and onefanjet like this.
  15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Not a playoff team yet. We could be a playoff team with upgrades at offensive tackle and by hitting a homerun on whatever pass rusher we wind up taking in the first round.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think the 2019 Jets have a wide range of potential outcomes. But I think to actually make the playoffs the offensive line needs to get improved, especially at T and C (which I'm blithely assuming we'll find one somewhere) and also some gelling magic or whatever you call it needs to happen. Things have to click....

I guess my call at this point is that the Jets are improved, but not quite playoffs in 2019.

17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Sam could take a big step and that would make a world of difference. I am confident we will not have a quitting D like last year.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This doesn’t look too daunting

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I don't see Sam as the limiting factor, I think that will be the Oline and Gase. I think those two are bigger question marks than Sam is right now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Nope, which is exactly why this year is the year to make a huge jump. Much needed pieces on offense and defense. Darnolds second year. This should be the start of our playoff streak.

No excuses

NYJetsO12 likes this.