Jets sign Catanzaro

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Mar 15, 2019.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Was not happy about losing him heading into last year. I understand he had a bad year last year but glad to see him back. I loved Myers last year though.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

b.reyes16 likes this.
  3. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Don't forget he also has a stigma attached to him.

In all honesty, read the last 4 pages, we weren't paying a kicker that kind of money. Let it go.

CotcheryFan, K'OB and stinkyB like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

• Let's not worry too much about this. Am I wrong in remembering that many here where disappointed when we lost Catanzaro for Myers back in 2018 in a very close competition. Myers was good for us but I wouldn't sweat too much the Catanzaro performance in Tampa. Very little goes well there and the difference often is highly dependent on the chemistry with the holder.
    • There will be further competition this year as well.

FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think you over thought my comment tbh, it was a quick retort to a post saying he will miss the guys kick offs, dear god some serious business over this guy getting cut :rolleyes:

I also said 7m as I thought somebody said he was getting 7m, I presumed it was 7m a season, as he isn't a Jet anymore I didn't really run off to check the details.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that someone else hasn't started a thread on this that I can't see, but according to GangGreenNation.com the Jets have signed Chandler Catanzaro as their kicker. If so, moderators, please merge.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...ork-jets-bring-back-kicker-chandler-catanzaro

7. K'OB

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Oh geez someone is going to kill you for this :p

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I heard we may be getting new uniforms this year.

Anyone else hear that?

K'OB likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

11. NCJetsfan

They probably will, but it will just show their ignorance of how the forum works.

12. K'OB

Poor Don lol

13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Because he for 4 million per season which is ridiculous

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

What no Shakespeare fans?

on a side note, no one looking at Gostkowski?
    I'd much rather him than Catanzaro..

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not good. leave it to the Jets to mess up the one successful part of the team...special teams. Myers had a great season for the Jets. probably the best ever for a kicker. Set the record for most 50 plus yard field goals. This might come back to haunt them. Best kick returner gone too. Bad day.

egelband and Cman68 like this.
  16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

4 million per season for someone who accounts for a large portion of your points is a small price to pay. This was probably the worst move of the Jets offseason so far.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Kickers are to undervalued...Teams need to stop thinking this way.Games come down to there foot every week in the NFL.

18. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Wait, what? the Jets just spent over $293M on free agents and you don't think they are a playoff team?

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We added three Pro Bowlers: a running back, an inside linebacker, and a guard. The rest of our additions are okay but nothing special. That isn't enough to get us from 4-12 to the playoffs, especially considering our special teams is going to regress. What we need is Gase to be a significant upgrade over Bowles and Darnold to be one of the better QBs in the league. Then we have a shot.

#79 HomeoftheJets, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Kickers are of course important (even crucial) in many games, but that's not a reason to pay them. You pay them if the ones who get paid a lot do better than the ones who get paid a little, and that's simply not the case. If you look at the relationship between 2018 salary and 2018 FG success you'll see that there isn't much of a relationship, and what there is is actually an inverse one (higher-paid kickers did worse). (This can be seen using logistic regression; each additional million dollars in salary was associated with an estimated 8.5% lower odds of making a field goal.) For every Justin Tucker or Matt Bryant (highly-paid and really good) there was a Chris Boswell or Codey Parkey or Phil Dawson (highly-paid and really bad). Will Lutz and Aldrick Rosas were great (the latter was second team All-Pro), and each made less than $600,000. Jason Myers had an excellent year and made $705,000. This reflects how variable the performance of kickers is - almost all of them are very good (85% of all FG attempts last year were successful), but very few of them are consistently excellent.

If GMs can't identify which kickers are going to do exceptionally well, paying them a lot of money is a waste. I wouldn't have objected to Myers getting a decent offer (and for all we know he did get one from the Jets), but I can't criticize the team for not giving him a contract that guarantees him $5.5 million and would have a $3 million cap hit in 2020 if they cut him before that season.

K'OB and twown like this.