Playoff team or no? What do we need to do to get there?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Title says it all

Right now, I can see this team being anywhere from 6-8 wins as constructed(pre-draft), if we plug a few more holes, and get another offensive weapon, do you think it's possible to sneak into a wildcard this year?

boozer32 and Brook! like this.
  2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

I would say it all dependent on how well Sam plays and develops. If he takes the sophomore leap I can see if competing for wc and playing meaningful games comes December

jdon, Pepsiguy5, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets still have a ton of holes/roster spots to fill to be quite honest. It is incredibly hard to guess what they will be record wise when we still don’t know what the depth of the team will look like. Jets are technically still signing players to fill starting positions/significant roles (ie. Nickel CB Poole).

I love the idea of this thread/discussion, but I will wait until after the draft to make any solid prediction. Having said that, easily the most critical factor is Sam Darnold/Adam Gase working together and Sam taking the next step.

Sam has to make better decisions with the ball. He threw 15 ints last season while playing less than a 16 game season. Don’t get me wrong, I loved what I saw in the Colts, Texans, Packers, Lions and Bills games, but when things weren’t clicking, he really struggled at times. We need to see more consistency from him and less forcing passes into the coverage.

Sam also needs to gel with Gase. A lot of people assume that he will, but it goes just beyond learning the offense from Gase. Gase has to create gameplans that work to Sam’s and the team strengths. Sam has to feel comfortable with Gase and be able to bounce questions/ideas off of Gase. Everything we hear from Manning suggests that this is Gase’s best quality. He is a 24/7 football guy. Hopefully Sam is too.

Sam also needs to work the underneath throws some more in 2019 (specifically on 1st and 2nd down). He has an up and coming TE and a bonafide Star in Bell at RB. When there is nothing open, he needs to hit his chekcdowns quickly. These checkdowns make for more manageable 2nd and 3rd down situations. Far too many times was Sam working in 2nd down and 10+ last year. We need more 2nd and 6 or less situations this upcoming year.

Longer story shortened, Sam is a key cog in how this upcoming season plays out.

#3 PennyandtheJets, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Pepsiguy5, M00ndawg, mrmajix and 7 others like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Going out on a limb....I fully expect a 10 win Season. Not sure if that's good enough for Playoffs

You had that with Toilet Bowles and Fitz..granted you had some Veteran players and an OL that included Mangold

But even at this stage of FA/predraft we not only have Veteran players eg Enunwa Anderson Adams...but some off the scale talent>>>>> Osemble Bell and CJ Mosely

Our QB? He's the smartest product we have fielded in decades..bet ya he's already working to get ready for Ota/TC. Even if the intercept are only down by 1/3 he's getting a surrounding cast that can and should win games for us

Crazy to say but next to the Browns we have the most improved Arsenal in NFL...hope it clicks right away

mrmajix likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Pennyandtuejets summed it up nicely. We have added a ton of talent, but the free agency winners don’t often win in the next season.

We have a second year QB and a new coach and offense. While I love the talent we have added there is a ton of work still to do before September.

M00ndawg likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Buffalo look bad, Miami are embracing the tank and the schedule looks OK. I expect the dead cat bounce with the new FA signings (as per Bowles 1st season) but we do look weak at OL and CB.

I think 8-10 wins and maybe a sniff of a WC spot. It's going to require good management and QB development to kick on from there.

Peebag likes this.
  7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Still need to sign Houston then draft Allen/Burns and have them meet at Brady's face and knees. Then we'll have a chance.

8. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I put the onus of the coaching staff and how well the team is coached. Will they play hard and disciplined, will they have a nasty attitude when on the field? I hope so.

mrmajix likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

East- Patriots
    West - Chiefs
    South -Indy
    North - Browns
    Wildcard contenders
    Texans
    Steelers
    Ravens
    Chargers
    Jags

I can see us being right there in the wildcard mix coming out of thanksgiving weekend.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think we’re right there. Curious to see the rest of free agency and def the draft. But we’re close.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a dependable veteran Center to help Sam. It all starts from the Center.
    Personally I think we would have been a better team if we landed Barr, Coleman and Paradis instead of Bell.
    Our WR Corps is still sub par. I love Q, and I expect a good year from Herndon in the passing game, but I have no confidence that we'll get what we need from Robbie Anderson. I'd like to see us sign Houston, trade back from 3 for an extra pick, and draft the best WR we can get.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If we aren’t contending for a WC spot come the final 4 weeks of the season it’s a disappointment

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there are a lot of new parts on this team and the building needs a culture change. I still think 2019 is a rebuilding year (6-10 ish) and 2020 is when we see the playoffs.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

As long as Sam develops nicely and Jets are playing meaningful games in December, I will take it. But at this point we aren't a play off team. We need Houston and Allen/Bosa and some Offensive Line Help then we can talk play offs.

How much money do we have left now?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I think we get 10 wins or 100 baseball wins

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna fall into this "playoff prediction" shit. I've fallen into it way too many times in the past.

We have a young QB who seems to be the real deal. We just signed the biggest offensive weapon in the NFL. We made some nice moves on defense and on the offensive line. We seem to have a more competent coaching staff and one that is fully focused on offense. We will have a much easier schedule this year.

I'll let things pan out. There are plenty of reasons to be very excited right now, but I've played this game before. I'm not gonna make any predictions

Brook! likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think they can. Its up to Gase playcalling and direction. I know the defense will be a beast with Greg W. Right now they just need to fine tune some things. Get a center, maybe another TE & WR for depth. Now the draft has some drama will Bosa fall to them or will they go with Allen or in another direction.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good coaching sure would help

themorey and Brook! like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Still need a LT, C, another TE, OLB/Edge rusher, CB

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I disagree about the TE part. It is definitely not on my list of top needs at all. Herndon had a great rookie season last year. With an improved offense and an improved Sam Darnold, the sky's the limit for him.