2018 Draft - Round 2/Round 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think the logic behind taking an older interior linemen in the 3rd round right after taking a potential franchise QB was pretty flawed and we were killing Mac on this board for not going offensive line or receiver after the first round. He did get great value in taking Herndon and to a lesser extent Cannon in the 6th after that, which I think saved this draft. If you want to count the 7th he traded for Anderson then he had a good draft if you asked me. Too bad his FA signings mostly turned out to be crap save Williamson.

As for my thoughts on the Sheppard pick a year out, I thought he will be the next Pouha as hes an older rookie who could eventually be a solid rotation guy and a starter if we are in a pinch. I think last year it was more about Henry Anderson playing well that helped him earn more playing time and not Sheppard playing poorly, but defensive linemen sometimes take time to grow into the position at the NFL.

With an offensive minded head coach hopefully we don't have this desire to draft interior defensive linemen year after year. It makes no sense when its not hard to find them in free agency and they usually don't command crazy salaries unless they can get to the QB.

#281 Quinnenthebeast, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

And that is what scares the shit out of me with MM. Hackenburg was a waste of draft capital . Shepard was a reach in the 3rd round but clearly not as bad as Hack. I hope MM does not pull crap like that in this years draft. Please God no!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Round 3
    http://draftanalyst.com/nathan-shepherd

Round 2
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-2018-scouting-report-for-new-york-jets-pick

Round 2
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nathan-shepherd?id=32462018-0002-5598-92f8-36ce2fecd601

Not saying he has been a huge success but these are the first three sites listed, so he was hardly an overreach when 2 out of those 3 had him as a 2nd rounder, sometimes it is so easy to just slam Mac.

4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I get he was drafted where he was supposed to according to sites etc. Where my problem is we drafted a qb neglected any offense for 10 years and we go with a project at dtackle. Not a position of need. We'll see where we stand about March 20th but this year we should not have any defensive picks unless we stay at 3 (since no offensive player is worth picking there). Even if we sign olinemen we need to draft guys to develop for a year or two. We need to draft skill players to help develop Darnold and make our offense good. No more defense. We are ten years behind the league. It's embarrassing. Mac and others have let their defensive head coaches make decisions in the draft for us that have stunted our offense. It's time to get offense and figure the defense out later.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Thanks to their moron GM, the jets have so many needs now you could just throw a dart at the map.

6. Couldnt agree more

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The plan has been defense forever. It's awful. There's three parts to the game. Offense, Defense and Specials. All they focused on the last ten years is defense. That's their plan. Their scouts, don't know how to scout offense. Is their anyone on the offense in the last ten years that have made a difference? Awful. Build the line and the skill position.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Indeed, but my reply was to the guy saying it was a reach to take him in the 3rd and then the other guy who said the 6th for some non eye batting... "oof."

Of course, these sites may well be horrendous judges of players as well as out scouts lol

We need OL but we also still do need a rusher on D unfortunately.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I like your avatar. Being a Jets fan, The Myth of Sisyphus indeed.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Call me naive, but quite frankly I feel a lot more positive about the outcome of the draft and free agency this year. Of course Mac can prove me wrong, but I think it will be much more of a collaborative decision and selection between Mac, Gase, Williams, and a couple of the senior coaches we brought in. Lots of good, solid experience that can help with the personnel selection. I had zero confidence that there was a good report and exchange between Mac and Bowles and his staff. I never once saw a shift in game planning to accommodate the talent drafted, nor endorsement on any selection that was very convincing.
    I believe Williams, Gase and the rest of the supporting CS will have a hand and recommendations on the selections and ranking to best match our lineups on 2019. I also believe Mac is far more willing to work with this CS than with Bowles. Might be all wet but will soon find out.

#290 LAJet, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  11. Great post.

Brian Costello reported that Bowles never gave any feedback for what he needed for his system.It was more “Ill coach anybody just get me good players”.Strange attitude for a guy who ran a quirky defensive system.He kept asking for big press corners who could help in run D & then playing them in off coverage which didnt even fit the A/B gap blitzes that were his trademark.

Course the FO never took the time to develop their own prototypes for the team outside of Bowles feedback.It makes perfect sense why everything was such a mess & why the team still has no identity.

I share your sentiments in having a much better feeling this time around.It helps to have the QB & a leader like Adams on D to start building around too.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That Mac hit Robby Anderson pick is a wonder in itself. Bowles didn't even bother with his offensive responsibility.

I always maintained that GMs do not make draft picks out of vacuum, but probably Mac during Bowles era could be the closest thing to a GM making blind picks in a vacuum.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I thought Mac sucked as a GM because Bowles was telling him to make all those bad picks. Now it's that Bowles was too hands-off? I can't keep up with all the excuses.

NYJetsO12, JetsNation06 and FJF like this.
  14. Its not really a matter of making excuses.Its shedding light on why Bowles/Mac regime didnt work as new information comes to light like it did w Costello’s article.

You can choose to write Mac off & youd have good reason to do so.But I for one am giving Gase/Mac a clean slate in hopes that theres synergy in terms of building a team that clearly wasnt present w Bowles.As a fan starved for success & revenge on the cheats.I see no other choice.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to the article? Thanks just want to read it. Appreciate it.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk anything of course but I think the soft coverage from the corners was coming from Bowles' buddy Kacy Rodgers. When Rodgers was out for his health scare, the defense looked a lot more aggressive to me. Rodgers came back, same old Jets D.

Having the guts as the leader to tell your friends working with you that they need to change is not easy. Its one of the most difficult parts of leadership but it is necessary. Bowles didn't have it. Idk if Adam Gase will be a good coach here or not but judging by some of the reports out of Miami, he definitely doesn't seem like a guy with a shy tongue. Also considering he's been fired once already and nobody ever gets 3 tries, desperation alone might be the catalyst to avoid mistakes like that

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Thanks appreciate it. Really interesting read. How does a head coach not provide what type of player he is looking for? Explains why the Jets seemed disconnected. As a coach you have to have players in mind. Happy Gase has a clear picture. I'm not a coach but can list a number of things right a way.

1. Someone who loves football. Eat breaths sleeps it.
    2. A winner. Someone who has won and a desire to win.
    3. An overachiever. Someone knows what he has to do to make himself great.
    4. A leader of men.
    5. Not too many but an alpha male or two.

That's a few and I just made them up. How a coach doesn't have a list and not be able to express that to scouts is crazy. Only the Jets.

I'm still 50/50 on Gase but leaning more towards liking him. Take away the initial press conference I do like what he says and what is coming out about the team. Time will only time.

#298 AJT73, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

19. http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker

The bench press results are in for RB/OL.Only action for today..on field w same group tomorrow.

Jonah put up 23 which is good enough.Evans from OU was around the same.Best of the big names for OL is Yodney Cajuste w 32.Greg Little DNP.

#300 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019