Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would hand over the checkbook.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and Sam Hammer like this.
  2. I agree but i have zero confidence in that being executed. I think they’ll emphasize Defense for the 4-3 changeover & the OL.Skill will get kicked down the road till next season..at which time some other hole on D pops up or they decide to double down on OL..

..and the madness continues

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree that we have neglected skill positions for awhile but my belief is that the Jets will build the line through free agency and hopefully draft playmakers this year. If we can trade back maybe the Jets us that first pick on an olineman since no skill positions will go that high. Then rounds 2 and our two third round picks will be on skill positions. That's my hope anyway.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Lol. You're very nicely saying you don't trust Mike Macganan to make these picks. I agree. Nathan Shepard when we needed to go offense last year. Don't know why you wouldn't trust him. Only the Jets.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Can't say I blame you for having no confidence. What gives me a glimmer of hope is that with a FQB in place, the FO will emphasize improving the skill positions in addition to Edge and OL.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Apparently, Mac and the Jets have been madly in love with him for the last two years and would jump at the chance for a deal. I will confess the source was from a turnonthejets podcast with our local beat reporter. But I'll take him in a second.

8. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

What is a real expectation for this offseason? With all of our money and with only 37 players under contract we have focused alot on the main guys. We'll probably sign two to three bigger players and then fill in with many 2nd wave players. I am not sure of those second wave so I'll have to look but wondering if anyone knows any of them. I'm thinking of players like Avery Williamson. A players signed the 2nd week that could start. I'm thinking more defensive linemen, cornerbacks, and maybe a receiver. I think in the first few days we'll address the offensive line, a running back (I think it'll be Tevin Coleman), maybe a receiver like Tyrelle Williams or Adam Humphries, and one of the edge rushers. Receiver we might not sign but definitely oline, an rb and edge rusher.

Lets say first wave we get Paradis or Morse, Tevin Coleman and Dante Fowler. I think the Jets will throw money at the two centers so I do think we'll get one of them. I think Bell goes to the Colts. Money similar but they're closer to winning. I put Fowler down because I think the other guys get tagged and the Jets want an edge rusher so Fowler will be the guy (they'll try to get Flowers but between Detroit and Miami we won't get him).

Second wave guys. I'd say at least two cbs who can play, three or four defensive line players. By signing these players it will allow the Jets to go best available at 3 or hopefully when we trade back.

9. tubby

tubby Active Member

Ideally, the Jets sign Saffold and Paradis AND draft 2 OL in the draft. Need to start building up the line to protect Sam. I'm a proponent of signing Bell, but if we do that we HAVE to upgrade the line.

I'm a fan of signing Humphries if the price is right.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Would be really nice to see them sign two dudes in free agency and perhaps use both 3rd round picks on the Oline.

11. tubby

tubby Active Member

Or even trade down, accumulate more picks and use the 1st and one of the 3rds. I really like the idea of trading down and grabbing Jonah Williams, playing him at OG year 1 and moving him over to LT in year 2 or 3.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I like this approach. I'd even want an RB or WR in R3. Basically, offensive picks. I just don't think Macc won't neglect the defense there.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with the Alabama OT with the 3rd overall. Guy is a beast

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That is my ideal scenario my man. I would love a trade down and J Will to block for Sam.

15. If he was a legit top 3 prospect he’d be a no brainer & likely in play at #1 overall.

He showed more than enough warts to cause pause from many, myself included. Hes stiff at the top of his sets,can be a tad slow on inside moves & his short arms lend to the concerns of how he’ll match up against elite level pass rushers.

Now if we trade down & we wanna move him inside or to RT thats fine.

I think the best course of action from a longer scope is to fix the interior in FA,draft a developmental OT on day 3 & see where things are after 19 season w a loaded OT class coming together for the 2020 draft.

OT is a massive need but so is the interior & rest of the offense.Beachem/Shell are at least serviceable. No sense in forcing anything.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

I think you and other people are overthinking it Kurt. The guy flat out dominated college football. He is going to be a good tackle in the NFL.

The problem with good prospects like him is that they are under the microscope for so long that people try to find whatever they can wrong about him. Yeah, his arms aren’t as long as you wish they were but obviously he can play just fine. It’s okay to scrutinize these guys, it’s good in fact. But you should unreasonably never talk yourself out of someone. I think that is what is going on with Jonah Williams. If the jets took him 3rd overal, I would be happy because my favorite team just got a left tackle for the next 10 years.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There is the possibility of signing both Paredis and Morse. Morse would then play LG. Realistically, I would love one of the two.

But combine those two with Bell and a pure slot reciever (Crowder, Humphries or Beasley) and this could be a very dangerous offense. No number one but a deep threat in Anderson, a jack of all trades in Enunwa, a dangerous athletic TE, the best recieving rb in football, a slot reciever all behind a rebuilt OL and Sam has options and possibly time to throw.

18. I respect your conviction but Tony Mandarich & Erik Flowers dominated college too as do many Bama OL. Stiffness at the top of sets where elite pass rushers make their living doesnt lie.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Well Mandarich had other issues... psychological and steroidal that lead to him being a bust. Flowers was not smart or hard working enough.

To my knowledge those things aren’t an issue with Jonah Williams, it’s just physical limitations as you describe.

20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Better yet, --- could Trey Flowers play OLB in the 3-4? Because then it could be JJenkins - LWilliams - NT - HAnderson (re-sign) - TFlowers.
    This would give us the needed flexibility to trade down in the draft (albeit we would be tipping our hand a little bit).

And this idea is coming from a Josh Allen fan.