Option declined on DT Mike Pennel's contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This was my big fear when we retained Mac. The Mid rounds of our drafts have produced very little which leaves you with a very thin roster. I love Sam as our QB and after sometime I've become excited to see what the coaching staff we have put together can do, I'm by far not sold on our scouting and drafting though and that is how you build a successful team.

2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Somewhat surpirsed to see Pennel option not picked up. At $2 million it's a reasonable price for a rotational guy. Maybe they look at him as only a 3-4 tackle and with us switching wasn't worth it. That being said he is a nice piece to have but losing him doesn't hurt us. I do think though if we are running a 4-3 there will need to be 8 bodies along the line. Right now we have Leonard Williams, Foley Fatukasi and Nathan Shephard. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets try to add Grady Jarrett and Trey Flowers. I think one will end up with us. Flowers we over pay (wouldn't be shocked in Miami or Detroit with him) and Jarrett would be the going rate. They'll probably sign another veteran or two maybe one from Cleveland or Miami and then draft a few. He's a loss but nothing the Jets can't overcome. With only 37 players under contract now the Jets will look very different in a month.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I odnt think it can be possible can it? how can you have 59 players signed and still have 100MM? I call bullshit

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. I wrestled w this thought pattern & feelings for quite awhile.

Its best to focus on the fact that MAC did this on his own accord.He broke this down to the studs in the year hes had circled for ascension since 2016. He either knows something we dont,has an ace up his sleeve OR hes in way over his head & this offseason will just be the disastrous culmination.Hopefully that’d mean a new GM in 2020 & with any luck just as much cap space as current.

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Bills love to pick players off the Jets' scrap heap. They did it with Pryor last season and Long just last week and a bunch of others over the years.

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that may be why Bell will sign with the Colts rather than the Jets. (However, I do think that will backfire on whoever gets him.)

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets, BIlls, and Dolphins keep picking people off one another's scrap heaps. We grabbed Fitz and Gailey off the Bills and Gase off the Dolphins. The Bills grabbed Rex off us, and the Dolphins grabbed Tanny and Pennington off us. I don't know as much about Bills-Dophins exchanges, though I vaguely remember Charles Clay. Anyway, it's no surprise nobody ever beats the Pats.

K'OB and Sam Hammer like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The cycle of mediocrity continues and the Pats laugh all the way to the top of the easiest division in football.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised when we draft a 3-4 DE type instead of an outside pass rusher.

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

lol yeah I know seems impossible. Crazy.....