Antonio Brown to the Raiders(Confirmed)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Feb 19, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This sounds a lot like John McKay explains why the bucs lost.
    “Well we didn’t block but we made up for it by not tackling”

2. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for. On the one hand, a receiver this talented could really help Darnold. On the other hand, a give-me-the-ball diva could retard his development. Talented head cases give and take, so the question is whether this guy would provide more of a benefit or a detriment (and that's before we even consider what the Jets would have to give up to get Brown).

Does anyone remember how head-case Jeremy Shockey behaved when Eli Manning was breaking in? Shockey thought he was open on every play. When Eli didn't throw to him, Shockey would have tantrums and show Eli up. It was really wild to watch and amazing that Coughlin didn't come down on Shockey. It's probably no accident that Eli didn't put it together until after Shockey was gone (first on IR and then shipped out).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ure-was-best-possible-outcome-for-eli-manning

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

We're not making any margin on these but we'll make it up on volume.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

We're survivin…. but we're not thrivin!

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Brown will likely still be in the league being productive long after most 2019 third rounders have left the league. His contract is very reasonable and he said he does not want a new one. The question is how bad is his attitude and what will he do to the culture here? None of us can answer that or say who is to blame in Pittsburgh.

But, this whole Mr. Big Chest thing sounds really really weird. What does it mean? Am I missing something here?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sounds like a drag name...

FJF likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The highest I would go is the Saint's 3rd round pick. I'm sure some other team will offer more, so it won't matter, but he'll be 31 this season and has issues getting along with the team, so I'd rather avoid it, if possible.

LAJet likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

A trade for a third could easily be justified from a football point of view, but I really wonder if he's had one too many concussions. Every day he says more and more things detached from reality. "If your squad want to win and you squad want a hungry wide receiver whose the best in the whole world, someone hit my phone"? Uh, you're still under contract to the Steelers, so no one is hitting your phone, moron. And on Saturday he says it's "Not for the money its for the love of the sport !" and then on Monday he says "Tell them I ain't doing no unguarantees." So which is it? His agent must be thrilled at how every time he opens his mouth he drives down his desirability as a trade target.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  9. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

For a 3rd rounder, it's a no brainer.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I would love to trade the NO pick for AB the player. Unfortunately you also get AB the person. No thanks. Maybe bringing him into a locker room with more established veterans that would help curb his outsized personality, which is borderline crazy at this point, or a team that's ready to win now - sure.

SOJAZ and Since1969 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

thought we already learned our lesson with Santonio Holmes and Plaxico.

ukjetsfan, NY Jets68 and SOJAZ like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s been a decade since we had an offensive weapon. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We have a 2nd year QB with what will be a rebuilt offensive line and a couple number 2 WR’s. He needs a go to guy. If the new OL gets quickly that number one WR could make the difference in a playoff push.

OBJ seems to be available as well. Make something happen, Mac.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would give the Steelers a 5th round pick and a conditional 4th at best for AB

Royal Tee likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Neither of them were ever the best receiver in the game for about half a decade. I feel like the term “generational talent“ has been tossed around here a lot lately because of the Bell discussion, but I do believe that Brown is somewhat on that level. You take the risk every time. Just ask the patriots.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Brown won't be had for a 3rd round pick. If traded the Steelers eat $21.2 million in dead money.
    He has also stated he wants a new fully Guaranteed contract so he's not going to play on the cheap.
    He has been constantly late to practice, skips meetings and didn't show for practices, meetings or sat night walk through week 17. A must win game for his team.
    This is a rebuilding team with little to no veteran leadership. This is the last thing the Franchise needs.
    The one positive that was thrown around upon Gase's hiring was he's a disciplinarian and will bench or cut players exactly like Brown and Bell, and yet those very same posters who praised Gase for that trait, are clamoring for exactly what he is against.
    This team is a long way from signing a luxury last piece type player, especially a locker room room cancer with no leadership to keep them in check.

SOJAZ and Since1969 like this.
  16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The irony of them both having been Steelers also :eek:

17. jacktucky

jacktucky Member

This guy gets it.

18. Cman68

I would if I could compare the track records but in this scenario, that wouldn't be wise.. The Patriots take a risk, they get rewarded. The Jets take a risk, they usually get minimal ROI.

With Macc doing the risk taking, I'd rather play it safe honestly as I have ZERO faith in either Macc or our CEO Football Savant.

19. Cman68

and there's always that to consider. Something about ignoring history and being doomed to repeat it..

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there was an article on ESPN that said the team that gets Antonio Brown will owe him ZERO in guaranteed money. And he will be locked up through 2021 at around $12 mill a year?

IF that's accurate. Arguably the best receiver in the game at that low of a price is just incredible. He can eat tide pods and tweet about whatever he wants for all I care, his game - at that price - is a bargain

NCJets likes this.