Jones/Kraft/McNair to Be Deposed on Kaepernick Collusion Case

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetophile, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

He was the face of a multi-million dollar ad campaign targeting the NFL.

That seems pretty provocatory.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not challenging your contention. I just read several newspaper articles which said the NFL requested the dismissal for a lack of evidence. Denied. Further he said that there was enough evidence presented for the case to move forward. Factual issues sounds like evidence to me when it's called evidence. Further John Elway apparently muddied it up when he said he didn't sign Kaepernick because the player once turned down a contract he had been offered. Pretty strange comment. I think the league also settled with Eric Reid.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You really think NIKE wasn't just using Kaep? You think they actually want to take down the league which is part of their bread and butter. It was a smart ad campaign. It wasn't an attempt to bring down the NFL.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wow. conspiracy theories sure are popular these days

you know I thought about it some more. IF what you say is true, then wouldn't have been easy for him to just tell prospective GMs that? "I'm not gonna kneel again, I was just upset about losing my job. I realize it was a huge mistake" He'd gotten a job somewhere easily.

But he didn't do that. So it seems to me like even if your conspiracy theory is correct, he only did it because he got benched, at some point it stretched beyond "faux" anyway. right?

#64 BrowningNagle, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

it was a smart ad campaign. really smart. A lot of people supported the cause anyway, so of course they were on board. then you had all the snowflakes threatening to boycott Nike products which kept them in public conversation a hell of a lot longer than most ad campaigns.

and Nike signed a contract rumored to exceed $1 billion as the NFL's apparel provider. $1 billion. There's not a chance in hell they want to damage the NFL and mess with that

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you're not a fan of Labor Unions or Monopolies I'm assuming you don't support a draft, rookie wage scales, a salary cap or the right of teams to franchise a player to keep them from negotiating there open market value?

It's hard to have a free market for players where owners can collude to set prices without a Union to agree to it.

Noam likes this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

You still aren’t understanding the distinction of what dismissal of a summary judgment motion is versus the granting of one.

8. Rollo Tomassi

I said I’m not a fan of monopolies in a true market environment.

The NFL is not a monopoly, it’s one big business with business partners- owners and players- in a business enterprise.

They aren’t competing in a free market environment against each other. They are acting in concert.

9. Rollo Tomassi

Lol the NFLPA is a union.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Believe what you want.

I think he was a fraud and when it snowballed he made it into something and he had no idea he had created the monster.

A lot of people thought he knelt to draw attention to himself and not because of social issues.

I guess they’re all conspiracy nuts if they don’t believe his bullshit.

Besides, once he became the mega face of his fraudulence, he signed his own death warrant.

I’m glad he’s got his money and I hope he just goes away.

11. Rollo Tomassi

The point being he wasn’t just some normal individual taking on a behemoth.

He had ample financial means at his disposal to fight to the death and still keep much of his wealth.

12. BrowningNagle

no, you are not glad he got his money. lets be honest please

Ralebird likes this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

I’m glad he got his money because now the sell out fraud will go away.

I couldn’t give a shit how much money he has or what he does with it.

14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This whole Kaepernick saga is just too strange. Unfortunately, the media took sides on this from the beginning, either portraying him as an All-American hero or a traitorous villain so we never got any straight information. (Florio on PFT is still carrying the guy's water).

I wonder if he never realized what he was getting himself into when he started kneeling. I wonder if once the shit storm descended on him, he wanted to extricate himself but had no had no idea of how to.

I never heard him really articulate what he was protesting against other than in the vaguest of terms. He was against police brutality and racial oppression. He never really articulated his underlying beliefs and principles and seemed very uncomfortable in the role of social-justice warrior. It struck me almost like that Marlon Brando line in "The Wild One." Question: "What are you rebelling against?" Brando: "What've you got?" .

Yesterday, it came out that he demanded $20 million to play in the new league. If that's true, it shows he doesn't want to play football. If he did, he would have made a reasonable demand, hoping that he'd light it up and lure some NFL interest. We see the kind of people NFL teams sign. If Kaepernick showed he was a first-rate QB, some team would sign him, even if he shit on the American flag at half-time. These teams would sign Hitler if his time in the 40 was fast enough.

The reports of today's settlement show that the NFL has admitted no wrongdoing. If Kaepernick wanted to shine light on the alleged collusion and NFL hypocrisy and dishonesty, why would he agree to that? The reports also state that the settlement contains a confidentiality provision, which will prevent Kaepernick from talking about the alleged collusion.Why would he agree to that? It's starting to look as if he was never a willing social-justice warrior or a man out to shed light on injustice. Maybe he was always in it just for the money. Maybe he unwittingly shit-canned his NFL career and wanted to make sure someone paid him well to compensate for what he did to himself.

It will be interesting to see what information the parties leak in the next few days. The whole thing still strikes me as unbelievably weird.

#74 Since1969, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I wonder how much he will get paid. Mike Francessa was saying he heard a rumor of $80 million, but nothing has been confirmed. If he really gets $80m out of this, he is BRILLIANT getting paid like a starting QB for 3-4 years while sitting on the couch. If true, I really hope he puts that money toward his cause and doesn't just disappear. IMO $80m is insane and the NFL must really not want their text messages and phone call records opened up and scrutinized.

Noam likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I don't think that $20m demand is true. I've only seen one source on that and it literally makes no sense to ask for that in a short developmental league. If true, I'd expect this news to be everywhere.

17. Rollo Tomassi

He was a fraud. It was clear from his very first statements he had no idea what he was protesting and when folks started pimping him as a social justice warrior he took it and ran with it.

Wearing his pig socks and Che Guevera and Fidel Casto t-shirts.

18. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Nah, the media is lazy. Instead of doing any digging, they simply report what the original media outlet reported. That's a big change. Reporters used to dig out their own information. Now, they simply report what some other media outlet reports. What strikes me is that no one from Kaepernick's camp leaked a denial to a friendly reporter. There are plenty of friendly reporters. One bonehead (I think in SI but I'm not sure) compared Kaepernick favorably with Jackie Robinson.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Which was precisely my point; it doesn't matter how many actors there are, it only takes two to commit collusion.

I'm not sure whether this was intended for someone else or you did not read back far enough in the thread to understand my position.

There's not enough information available now to understand if the NFL was prompted to settle to avoid a reexamination of its anti-trust status or simply because evidence would have been forthcoming to indicate at least two teams communicated about coordinating efforts regarding Kaepernick's employment had the case continued.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I did read your post. I agree with it. The reality is while there are 32 teams less than half of them need a QB. Many of them don't want to run a system that would fit Kaep. 2 teams colluding could be meaningful in his ability to earn. Not all 32 teams have the same needs, it doesn't take collision by all players to create a rigged market value.

The other problem is since the NFL owners are partners in a revenue sharing operation any collusion regarding player contracts would be highly scrutinized.