Jets' Morality Clause...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It could have been a timing issues. We got Marshall years after the last incident, after he had made a his turnaround and became a spokesman for mental health issues, but from what I know his history of these incidents is much more extensive. Hunt's transgression and his lying about it to the team are very fresh in the minds of fans and owners. Owners only care about public perception of a player. Marshall was widely seen as a redeemed man by the time he got to NY. Hunt not so much right now, maybe in a few years.

Placing all the blame on Mac I think is faulty. Mac wants to win and will go after players like Suh last year, but Chris Johnson stepped in and veto'd a deal with him if the reporting at the time was accurate. I think not even kicking the tires on Hunt would be more of a Chris Johnson decision than a Mac decision. Potential for a public relations hit is too great for Johnson to risk it.

fansince90 likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I get you. So you are saying sign Hunt, but still potentially add someone else in Free Agency to focus on helping Sam in 2019. Hunt at 23 years old still has a long NFL career ahead if he gets on track. And that price tag was very low-risk.

fansince90 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm okay with not signing people that fuck up to the capacity of a Kareem Hunt.

I also agree, we are human, that doesn't have to define him. We should be forgiven for our mistakes.

However, consequences are real, and they are known before we take these actions as human beings.

I have no sympathy for someone that makes the type of money that these players do, they know the opportunity they have, they should know how fortunate they are to have the opportunities they do because of the natural gifts that was afforded to them from birth. If you know these things, but still gamble with that, you should lose those opportunities and privilege.

Wish them the beat moving forward, redeem yourself, but they should absolutely have to sit with the consequences of their actions.

Nobody else is afforded the same level of forgiveness, why should they?

Fuck that.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

ding ding ding!

Someone understands what I was trying to say multiple different ways yesterday. Thank you, and spot on.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some owners care about the perception of a player, but not all owners. It could have been a timing issue, but we really don't know. All I am saying is Hunt should have been contacted and at least they should have inquired on if he was looking to get his life together.

I heard we were also going to pay Suh a lot of money as well.

fansince90 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I didn’t mean Macc should cut anyone with a run in with the law. I was saying it would make more sense to me if he did that instead of picking and choosing what he feels is right or wrong and worth a second chance. Some teams have a zero tolerance policy, others pick and choose and I hate that.

Personal things such he and his wife’s friend who was a victim of DV making him resist signing guys with that in their history. Our beat writers have been on it since Macc got here, his wife’s personal feelings shouldn’t interfere with his job.

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Hunt didn't commit any domestic violence

fansince90 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It is virtually impossible to have a discussion with someone who goes off on tangents without explanation. It is completely impossible to have a discussion with someone who says they did not mean precisely what they posted a day earlier. If there comes a time when you are consistent with what you mean and can stay on point let us know.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yes, that I know. I was making a point more-so about Marshall.

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Gotcha, most people seem to not understand this though. He got in a fight at a hotel, the other person happened to be a woman who was coming at him. It doesn't excuse hitting a woman which is wrong, and especially kicking her when she was down - but this is the furthest thing from him being a wife beater. Jets totally should have been interested in exploring his coming on the team

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't care if he just pushed her away in self defense or something like that, but kicking her while down was the nail in the coffin for me.

I don't want this team built like the Dallas Cowboys who bring in questionable characters and problematic players all the time to save money and then act shocked when they commit more violent acts and end up hurting the team more than they help. I have no problem with giving people 2nd chances, but the player has to show he is working to improve himself.

Signing somebody fresh off an incident like this is not a good idea, like BroadwaySam said above. With Marshall he had already shown this when the Jets trade for him. Hunt has not shown this. It's too soon.

Biggs likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think you have this backwards. The reason to sign Hunt fresh off this incident is the incident presented a price valuation that wouldn't exist without the incident.

The risk to signing a free agent with Hunts talent is extremely low because he is fresh off the incident. That's why Cleveland got him for a song. Once the incident is far in the rear view mirror, the risk will be offset by the price.

On a 53 man roster value has to be part of the equation. Hunt has value at the price Cleveland signed him for. The risk is incredibly small because of the incident.

Without the preferable "nail in the coffin" the opportunity to get this kind of talent doesn't exist.

Jets81, fansince90 and Sam Hammer like this.
  13. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I hope Mac never does anything wrong...he may have to fire himself. What amazes me about the incident is no one seems to give Hunt credit for the amount of restraint he excercised until the end of the fight when something clearly triggered his outburst and he seemed to not care about the consequences.
    A mixture of booze and a false understanding of pride can do that to anyone.
    There was a point when one man pushed him back into the room...IMPOSSIBLE. Unless he was an offensive lineman and he wasn't. I tell young men all the time, at the end of the day...no matter what she does, you are going to jail...you will lose, so learn now to walk away and keep yourself out of those compromising positions.
    We all know some women are extremely aggressive and feel they can beat a man...and some can...no matter the outcome its a lose lose situation for men.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

You clearly have reading comprehension issues.

Me saying Macc should cut anyone who has a run in with the law was hyperbole. My point in saying it was that Macc has shown that he’ll let certain cases slides and yet others will make him resist signing or drafting a player.

So is it a zero tolerance policy or an I can sign him because my wife will be upset with me thing.

And what’s this let US know stuff? You don’t speak for everyone.

Anyway I’m done with you and your lack of knowledge and understanding. Please refrain from continuing the discussion since you can’t seem to not be an idiot about something so minuscule.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I can’t see you being in a position to dole out advice to young men. Hopefully you’re not sharing your player evaluation skills with them.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I have no reading comprehension problems. When someone types black I believe they mean black, not white even if they attempt to change the definition of black the next day. Or call it hyperbole even later. You wrote it - own it.

Us. Because I'm sure I'm not the only one baffled by a statement one day and the opposite statement the next after being called out for its ridiculousness.

Where do you get your insight into the motivations of MacCagnan in signing or passing on a player? Where did this "zero tolerance policy" of which you speak come from? How does any possibly nefarious activity come into play? Surely you must know or you wouldn't be making statements about his decision making process and how his wife contributes to same.

Don't claim I have a problem understanding if you send contrary messages. I certainly have a problem understanding someone who does just that. Feel free to "refrain from continuing the discussion" if you cannot put consistent, lucid arguments into words.

17. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Wow...nothing better to do with your time than make disparaging comments to a complete stranger...but i understand...based on my previous comments you have formed an opinion. Whether true or false its your right to have an opinion...right? Nah...can't be right...we can only have opinions, thoughts, and ideas if 100% of the people agree with them.
    Back to reality...thank you...for a second i must have thought i was in the USA. Good thing explorers accepted the opinion that the world was flat before it was too late.
    Can't imagine how life would be today if they all fell off the the face of the earth becasue they did not conform to the mainstream opinion. Good for you!!! Oh yeah...did you remember to thank Lincoln last Monday for not signing the Emancipation Proclamation?

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Opinions can be wrong.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I said we’re done here. What part of that did you not comprehend?

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Dude you were flat out wrong about Adams and to deflect attention from you’re obviously wrong assessment of Adams that you bring up freedom of speech, how everyone has opinions, circumnavigation of the globe, Abraham Lincoln and the end of slavery?

Is that how you kids argue today?

You say something patently stupid, it is proven to be patently stupid and rather than say “wow, I was wrong” you talk about living in the USA?