Manish Mehta: Hard Knocks wants Jets but Jets don't want Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 12, 2019.

?

Would you want Jets be on Hard Knocks again?

1. Yes

26.2%
  2. No

56.9%
  3. Don't really care

16.9%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what does any of that have to do with Hard Knocks????? the media guys are there everyday, shit these players themselves got instagram and whatever bullshit with thousands and thousands of followers, if they want "extra face time" it is AT their fingertips. HBO brings a crew though and its a distraction??? HUH

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Once again, I said "detract" from why they are in camp, not "distract" them while they are there, although that can happen.

HBO does not bring in "a crew" as in a cameraman and a sound guy; there are multiple film crews, producers and editors all with the goal of producing the best entertainment they can. More than a few players will play to the cameras, producers and editors to get as much time as possible; doing so can create rivalries within the team and all of it will detract from the purpose of training camp.

All those other things you mention can be pursued by players on all the teams, only the Hard Knocks team can have their work interfered with by HBO.

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

When the Jets were on the show they had one of their best seasons ever. That’s enough for me to say yes!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The elite franchises in the league seem to shy away from doing Hard Knocks. There's probably a reason for that. Plus, do we really want to see a thousand GIFs of our head coach making unusual facial expressions captured from the HBO footage?

5. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Exactly this. How the fuck do teams like the Patriots or Steelers wiith massive national fan bases not get stuck on Hard Knocks? It seams like perennial middle of the pack teams with the occasional real dud thrown in for good measure. Hell even the Cowboys were in their years of ineptitude when they were on the show. I'd love to see the league force one of their "darling" franchises into this. There is too much to learn with the new coaching staff and way too much development for young guys involved, keep the Jets the fuck away.

IIMeanDeanII and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  6. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

What is "Hard Knocks?" Serious question. My first guess after looking through the thread is it's another stupid-assed "reality TV" show.

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Nope, nope and nope.

How long have you been a fan for? How don't ya know about the the Rex-led Hard Knocks season we were on?

8. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Actually, no. I don't live in the US and I don't get or watch ESPN, either.

macbk likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Because the league can't force them on the show

It's pretty stupid. Actually its really stupid, but at some point down the line the league and the owners settled on a deal. If any of the 3 things are true, then the league can't force you to go on Hard Knocks.
    1) you've done the show in the last 10 years
    2) You've made the playoffs in the last 2 years
    3) you have a new head coach

so you don't see the Patriots or Steelers because they don't go 2 years straight without playoff appearances and they aren't volunteering. Simple as that. This year even if HBO wants the Jets they can't force the Jets either. We all know they were on the show in 2010 and Adam Gase is a new HC. So Mehta's article is kinda pointless

--
    if no one volunteers then it will be one of these teams - Lions, Raiders, Giants, 49ers or Redskins.

10. Jets_Grinch

Number 2 on that list is bullshit. I knew there was some soft ways to decline but my god that's ridiculous. Thank you for posting this.

11. Jets_Grinch

It's an HBO reality show where they follow a team through training camp. Some players and coaches with bigger personalities become stars (Rex) where most see the cameras as a distraction and shy away. This many years into it, it has become pretty repetitive and is really just part of the over saturation of football that i feel is part of the products decline over recent years. Most teams at this point see it as a negative and avoid being on the show.

LarryAlRalph and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

I think the show is awesome and I love watching the practices in depth. We live at a time when the football part of the game is being glossed over. Even NFL Network gives you the casual fan garbage daily, the average or "safe" talking points. "is Tom Brady the greatest of all time?" over and over. No one talks about line play for example or special teams. or guys trying to make the team. or strategies

Hard Knocks is one of the few shows left where you can actually see football being made.

Most teams see it as a negative but most teams suck ass. The NFL is the least fan friendly league there is and this is case in point. In baseball they embrace stuff like this. The NFL sucks

NYJ79, Brook! and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

im 100% for it. The whole concept of the NFL is giving
    fans a product. THEN GIVE US A DAMN PRODUCT!!! If not in the post season, then on Hard Knocks!!!

14. Jets_Grinch

When it first came out I fully agreed with you on the reasons you love the show. It was incredible to get such access to training camp and see the decision making process. As time has gone on i believe teams are shying away from the cameras in fear of losing a competitive advantage and this has lead to it becoming more repetitive, though still far better then NFLN coverage (i played Dline and love in depth look at line play). I believe NFLN is the real problem and i touched on it in my earlier post. "There is no off season" the network brags about but after the marathon of an NFL season, made worse by Thursday night football which essentially takes away those few days mid week to catch our breath, now they have stretched out all off season activities (later draft date for example) and really don't give fans a chance to both recharge and/or miss football. And i fully blame myself for not tuning out as much as i wish i could.

15. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

People still watch HBO?

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Westworld, Game of Thrones. Hell yeah.

17. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I take it you’ve never seen Barry?

Or seasons 1 and 3 of True Detective?

Curb, Veep, The Night Of, maybe The Sopranos?

Yeah, HBO has some pretty great original programming.

Sam Hammer and Brook! like this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Why does this show exist?

I hear it mentioned every year.

It gets that many viewers?

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Maybe you should watch it and you’ll learn something about football.

It’s on late so after you get home late from work to pay the bills you can probably catch it.

Although I’m guessing HBO doesn’t pay your bills.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I heard of HBO