Jets' Morality Clause...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Feb 12, 2019.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I get it. Mac, and all right minded individuals are against abuse of any type. No doubt 100%. Every career is made up of HUMAN BEINGS. If human resources analyzed all of our personal lives from the time we were old enough to be held accountable for our deeds...who amongst us would be left with a job? Most Jets fans would sign Tyreek Hill today...becasue most don't remember what he was accused of 3 years ago, just like 3 years from now most won't remember what Hunt did, or Elliott, or Mixon. HUMAN BEINGS are gonna make mistakes. Who are we not to be merciful and forgiving?
    Football players have always had questionable behaviors on and off the field. I learned that in high school, my view of the life was so naive until senior cut day when i saw some of my teammates drinking and smoking... blew my mind...couldn't believe it.
    This morality clause that Mac has makes me wonder how many players has he refused to sign becasue of a blemish in their past or character....if that is the case...i commend him for standing firm on his personal beliefs...but i believe its unrealistic business wise to build any professional organization without individuals who have done no wrong, and if that is the case, we as a fanbase may never see a team that wins at a high level on a consistent basis. Tom and Belechick cheated! Nuff said.

FlaJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We need a Future DUI clause.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What's the big deal about Hunt?

Look at the contract the Browns gave him 1 year could be worth more than $1 million. You think he's there for the long haul? He may not make that team, easily cuttable with a contract like that.

That contract tells me more about Hunt's desperation to get back into the league.

The Jets should go get Leveon Bell.

FlaJet likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m Dylan Donahue and I approve of this thread

Vahncase, Harpua, TonyFtLaud and 3 others like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You know what would be worse than signing Hunt? Drafting Jamal Adams. Trust me, I know talent, and this guy stinks.

K'OB, Dierking, Vahncase and 12 others like this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think what Hunt did is despicable and he absolutely deserved to lose his job and salary. Having said that, it makes no sense that the Jets refuse to sign players like this. The NFL is a wins and losses business. This isn't a morality business. The Jets absolutely should have made the minuscule investment in Hunt.

Although it isn't an apples to apples comparison, I can't as a teacher decide not to educate a student just because his/hers parents are drug addicts and have charges of domestic violence. McCagnan and his wife had a friend that was a victim of domestic violence and that is terrible and sad. This doesn't mean that Mac should just be able to put his hands up in the air and say, "Sorry, not for me". That isn't how the job works. As GM, it is his responsibility to find talent that can help the team win. Even players with a shady past need to be in the conversation.

No more needs to be said really. It wasn't particularly smart to not show any interest, but the past is the past. Go sign Tevin Coleman, Leveon Bell or draft a RB.

alleycat9 and fansince90 like this.
  7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to bash the Jets for taking the position they have. Would I have taken a shot on Hunt? Yes. Can I be mad the Jets didn't? No.

Also bringing up the DWIs of some players. It's hard to foresee that stuff sometimes. The Jets in the draft and free agency have been very stern about not signing guys with legal issues.

FJF, fansince90 and Peebag like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dunno about that. McCagnan's very first big move as General Manager was the Brandon Marshall trade

9. It was idiotic not to pursue HUnt.How does a team that is an F- at scouting & acquiring skill not look at this guy?

If Mac fails this offseason & we still have no talent..is he the worst GM in team history?Does he surpass Idzik?

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I guess his wife gave him the thumbs up on Brandon, but no on Hunt.

My Reaction:

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Morality like a glass of your favorite alcoholic beverage is fluid.

12. BroadwayAaron

This isn't a great comparison.

13. 101GangGreen101

Man, that is a tough one ... everyone says he got us Darnold and Adams, where-as Idzik well ... he passed on Derek Carr first and foremost

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Domestic Violence is Domestic Violence ... don't try and think too hard on that

15. BroadwayAaron

Guy, come on. Spare me the homily and think about the comparison.

I am in no way, shape or form excusing any form of domestic violence so let's get that out of the way right off the bat. But either way, Brandon Marshall's most notorious incident occurred in 2011 when HE was stabbed in the stomach by his wife after a dispute. Since then he's donated his time and money to BPD research and treatments. Marshall himself underwent treatment. He suffers from a legitimate mental illness. The Jets traded for him FOUR years later.

Kareem Hunt gets drunk and hits people because he has anger management and alcohol issues. He's still facing league suspension.

BacktoQueens, Mr mittens and Peebag like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

nah you are wrong. way wrong. you should read up a little more on Marshall's past. His wife stabbed him cause he was beatin her anyway

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

I know plenty about it, thank you. He suffers from a mental illness, I should have bolded that part. That makes this EXTREMELY different from Hunt.

18. BrowningNagle

Marshall certainly blazed a trail. I dont care that much about Kareem Hunt but if I were him, I'd definitely get some doctor to say I had a mental illness. Folks will forgive his transgressions.

that and 14 touchdowns a season would help too-

19. BroadwayAaron

Clearly you have no desire to have a legit convo (or you actually believe what you're saying) so I'll just say we agree to disagree.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Good Friar Macc has his standards..