AAF starting up 2/9/19

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by IDFjet, Jan 8, 2019.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm losing my OC Kitna to the cowboys--good for him.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Looks like Stephen Hill could not stick with Atlanta Legends of AAF--according to current roster. Bummer.

Here's another interesting tidbit--Birmingham Iron has Trent Richardson at RB

Also--Nick Folk is kicking for Arizona Hotshots.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This can be the practice League for NFL officials..lmao

They get it wrong..who cares

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am genuinely excited for this new league. I used to love watching NFL Europe games. The football might not be as good as the NFL, but its football during the NFL off season. I will take it!

IDFjet likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dylan Donahue, the edge rusher bust that couldn't stay off the bottle is playing for the Atlanta team

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

So is this like XFL or is it Arena Football? What are the rules? I don't know anything about this league whatsoever except that it's new. I wonder if any of the games will be televised. If so, sure, I'll tune in. Anything beats watching the crappy NFL right now.

7. PennyandtheJets

They are going to be on CBS the first week I believe and then after that first week they go to CBSSportsnet or something like that.

8. jetophile

Thanks. I'm ambivalent about which team to root for because none of them represents NY, but I'll watch for the hell of it, why not.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  9. PennyandtheJets

It is football on TV when there normally is zero football on tv. I will take it.

IDFjet and FJF like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some different rules in AAF

-No kickoff. Teams start with the ball at the 25 yard line
    -Obviously with no kickoff there is no onside kick. If you want to try to get the ball back after a score, or "onside kick" like they do in the NFL, you can but you are given the ball at your own 28 with a 4th and 12. Convert and the ball is yours, don't convert and the other team gets the ball from wherever they stop you at.
    -No extra point, must go for 2 every time.
    -Shorter play clock to try and speed up the game
    -A "skyjudge" camera to instantly correct errors in officiating, including penalties and judgement calls so you dont have to call for a replay

Overtime is like college, each team gets the ball once. 1st and goal from the 10 yard line. That's it though. And no field goals alllowed in overtime and of course you must go for 2. Each team gets 1 try at it and that's it. If they tie, so be it.

https://triblive.com/sports/nationw...rican-football-kicks-off-under-some-new-rules

IDFjet likes this.
  11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I believe each of the AAF teams represent 4 NFL teams somehow. Orlando is the team associated with the Jets, but that may just be an attempt to drive up interest. I don't know that we've sent any players or coaches there or that we have rights to any players either.

12. jetophile

Thanks for filling me in. I like KOs, but other than that, it sounds like it could be entertaining. I wonder what the "sky judge" would have to say about the Cheats?

13. jetophile

o_O I don't want to feel like I'm inadvertently rooting for Miami! Is this league somehow affiliated with the NFL? I wonder who "owns" it. I'll look into that for curiosity's sake. I mean, I reckon the teams are individually owned but I'm thinking there's a central figurehead i.e. Vince McMahon (shrugs)?

14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Probably, although I haven't really followed it closely. My brother is interested, so I get a little info from him.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Just found out about this and I am ALL IN!

Like others have said, football in the off-season is something to get excited about. I may not bother following an individual team and just enjoy the games. I’m terrified of picking the Jets again.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You can route for them with a clear conscience now

Leicester Jet and IDFjet like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I have faith I will pick the jets of the aaf no matter what.

18. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Will this be an internet only job for us Brits? Unless I've missed the UK broadcaster.

19. jetophile

OK, tracked it down. Founded by Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian. Troy Polamalu, Justin Tuck, and Dick Ebersol will also be involved as well as Hines Ward. I also didn't know that the XFL is coming back in 2020, btw. He Hate Me still lives in the hearts of many.

Individual players get paid 250K with the chance to earn more based on performance but are not locked into a contract and can walk or be picked by the NFL at any time. Not a rival to the NFL, but being "allowed" because it's "complimentary" to the NFL. The NFL, modern day railroad barons, you know. I guess I'll go with the San Diego Fleet because my good buddy, Carlos, lives there? o_O If someone can find out more what team is supposed to support the Jets, I'll be a turncoat on a dime.

20. jetophile

You believe in predestination? Not surprising with this team. I believe in being a self-professed fckn idiot personally so I guess we somehow wind up stranded in the same sinking rowboat. In the middle of the Salton Sea.

EDIT: Speaking of which, good movie. I'll go put in The General Film Talk thread.

#40 jetophile, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019