New School GOT Schooled!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 4, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah, well when you lose 20 of 26 games, folks aren't really gonna be interested in your opinion

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Patriots would've had a hard time guarding Kamara in the passing game. And Michael Thomas on the outside vs. Gilmore would've been a good matchup, he would not have been Gilmore's bitch like the Rams recievers were. I think the Saints could've won, obviously I wish now that they weren't screwed

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wasn't Goff being terrible and missing wide open WR's and not knowing how to deal with pressure part of it too? Plus Gurley clearly being injured? Plus the fact the Rams should not even have been in the game as the Saints clearly should have been? Things seem to always go well for Brady and Belichick. Last night Brady had 0 Touchdowns, 1 Interception and 1 Fumble and I bet the NFL struggled really hard not to give him MVP.

I give Belichick credit for continuing to find a competitive advantage (cheating or not) year in and year out. He is ahead of every other coach and continues to do it. Not sure how, but it is impressive.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Packers dumped McCarthy Hue Jackson style. LOL

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't think that was some old school defensive gem last night.

The Rams were incompetent on offense. When the score was 3-0 it felt like 21-0 that's how inept the Rams were last night.

As for the Pats offense I felt they were being conservative because they knew the Rams offense was helpless and didn't want to risk making mistakes against the Rams D. IF the Rams had started scoring I felt the Pats would open up their offense/do what they needed to do to win.

A dreadful Super Bowl quite possibly the worst ever.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but many here ar confusing old school with older coach. BB is more innovative and forward thinking than any young coach out there. He is the king of new school. TB is TB but did nothing exceptional. He was solid and poised. But the real hero of the SB was BB. He absolutely confused the fuck out of the young QB, and created defensive schemes that were amazing and schooled McVay power offense. He knew Goff holds the ball too long. BB is by far the best coach ever IMO. As great as Brady is, NE don't win half the shit they have won without BB.

IIMeanDeanII and Cman68 like this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Rumors that the Pats played the same defense the Lions did (and Bears and Eagles ) played speaks to some bad tendencies Goff got into. McVay changed a few things but Goff continuously went for the big play.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree McCarthy was the one I wanted. When you are looking for coaches to hire you looking for someone that has been successful. Gase wasn't and neither was Bowles

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Belichek is not a genius. He's basically a functioning Raymond Babbitt. Mild autistic spectrum disorder is highly likely. Gase reminds me a lot of BB. Stop underestimating him because he doesn't have the interpersonal relationship skills to deal with Ross.

McCarthy had almost an identical record as Gase with Rodgers the last 3 years. His born on date as an NFL head coach expired. We finally hired the right combination of experience and smarts. Arians wasn't coming here. Get over McCarthy. There's a reason he can't get a job.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

With all due respect - Mike McCarthy won't cut it.

If I had to bet, it would take nothing less than Bill Walsh to defeat this cheating reptile.

The more I watch this cheating fuck, the more I appreciate the sheer genius of Bill Walsh. He was so ahead of his time.

P.S. Then I realized - maybe, JUST MAYBE, the spiritual successor of Bill Walsh is indeed Bill Belichick.

I mean, I have heard countless anecdotes of Belichick showing the 49ers film, in amazement. It is highly likely that he still has all the films he studied as a defensive coordinator while at Giants. There is no doubt in my mind that he has multiple copies of Walsh playbooks at his disposal. [Even a non-professional like I have some myself.] Well. He was raped by Walsh first-hand, if anything. His schemes were demolished time and time again. He came through against Walsh only twice in big stages. [That alone has to mean something, I'd agree.]

Also this explains why 2003 Patriots playbook resembles Walsh's WCO playbook of the 80's so much. The terminology and the call system was very different, but the pedagogy was almost identical. Somehow this critical factor was entirely lost to Walsh's successors. Every single one of them. Yes, that includes Mike McCarthy. Now that I think of it, maybe Adam Gase wasn't the best hire possible, but Mike McCarthy hire would have been a sure-fire disaster.

#31 Zach, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Goff was in over his head. Stop the run and let Goff fail on his own. That was probably the gist of the game plan and it worked wonders. To see the Rams almost have that TD and then to go with a similar play back-to-back with an awful/sloppy throw for a pretty much game ending INT was the summation of Goff in that game.

One thing I'll say about Mahomes, he at least bounced back in the 2nd half. Playing the Patriots in the playoffs can be intimidating, especially for someone with so little experience. You're going up against almost 2 decades of dominance. However, Mahomes put up a great fight after looking pedestrian in the first half. Goff collapsed.

13. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

They went old school with the I formation using Develin and Gronkowski as lead blockers and not the chiefs nor the Rams could stop it. Result = super bowl champs via way of a power run game in an era of throw throw throw. Go figure.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You make an excellent point and Wade Phillips (another old coach) seem to do a great job confusing Brady.

Belichick has been coaching in the NFL since 1975 which is over 40 years! Wade Phillips started his NFL coaching career in 1976 with his Dad. Experience does matter and anyone who doesn't think so doesn't get it.

I do understand your concern for Gase, and ironically I thought your defensive coordinator Greg Williams should be your HC. I think the Browns made a big mistake letting him go.

Perhaps Greg Williams will be like Wade Phillips is for the Rams. At least I hope so.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Williams might be more of an insurance policy just in case things don't work out with Gase. Right now, we have 2 other coaches on the staff that could step in and hold down the HC spot if things go sideways.

Patriot likes this.
  16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

By no means am I arguing that he does new school better than anyone but in addition to that he adds some magical spices of old school to the recipe as well. The Patriots still not only carry but use a fullback. They will put out base offensive formations early to see what the defense is up to. Use the 3 step drop.

And perhaps most old school of all is the team oriented, minimal diva-level tolerated, "do your job" philosophy from the guy that gets the sneakers up to the head coach/owner/ and star QB. Just like the Navy Seals start training with how to make the bed correctly and then everything else gets built off that humble but rock-solid foundation the Patriots machine is very well grounded in very old school values.

Acad23 and Cman68 like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I know I've said it before but there are countless posters, bloggers, analysts, and coaches who have said this a million times. Hell even Todd Bowles said it.

Jets81, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Old school is definitely back. Two teams that weren't expected to do anything this year, Seattle and the Ravens both made the playoffs running the ball down people's throats. Seattle actually had over a 100 more rushing attempts than passing attempts. They went 6 and 2 down the stretch to make the playoffs in a year when it looked like they would be an under 500 team.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  19. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Hopefully the coaching staff this upcoming season will be a lot smarter than the last one.

I have my fingers crossed, but I am going to make the bold prediction that the Jets will improve quite a bit this year.

I can't wait to see what draft choices they are making to see what direction they are going.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Gotta agree Belichick is the greatest.....who else woulda benched Malcom Butler, one of your best DBs, during an entire SuperBowl?