Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

If that same amount allowed for Matt Paradis, Jason Verrett, and another stable O-lineman in 2019.
    Then yes.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That is the dumbest interpretation I have ever seen. What's to say we draft a David Montgomery, who is a 3 down back, decent prospect to be had in the 3rd round, who perhaps could be a star at the next level?

Acting as if Coleman is the only other option. Matter of fact, you should be asking yourself "why aren't the Colts throwing a bunch of money at Bell" because they wont.

3. 101GangGreen101

because Bell isn't necessarily the end all to improving the running game, there are a bunch of ways to address the RB position.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned how divisive an element Bell can be in the locker room because no one thinks of that..its just a guy who's elite and I get that

To me Bell would only be worth it for some low ball short term deal..I predict his 19 mil demand flops

In FA and come draft day you start with the basics..build a good OL who can block and protect Darnold

Spend some dough on Golden Tate or T Williams in FA

#264 NYJetsO12, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    twown likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Paradis will most likely get about 10 mill and I'd happily pay it to him .. Verrett? He of all of 25 games in four years? Not banking on him being on the field enough to sign him.

6. Ill say this..

Given the choice of Bell OR team addresses OL/edge heavily in FA w all intentions to trade down to mid 1st & go skill heavy at least through Day 2?Ill take the latter. Theres alot of WRs/TEs that can help Sam & grow w him just as well.

Drafting OL/edge makes a ton of sense too..but look at Brick,Brandon moore,Randy Thomas,Kareem Mckenzie.. young OL take at least 2 years more often 3 to really become formidable. Do we want to expose Darnold to OL learning on the job?

Same w 4-3 DEs.Yes they can always put their hand in the dirt but learning proper hand placement,lane integrity,disengagement & containment takes time. Josh Allen will struggle early against the run i have no doubt.

Theres a very good chance the OL could have vastly improved talent & youth yet struggle even worse than last season’s retreads bc development/cohesion take time.Its almost better to sign competent FAs that can form an above average unit.

At the skills however,Rookies can come along at their own pace developmentally w Quincy,RA,Roberts,Herndon,Mcguire etc already in place yet still contribute situationally seemingly making a huge difference as their role expands.

That said would i trust this regime and team to actualy execute on this..specifically the draft portion?No..they wouldnt be able to resist some BPA tweener like Rashan Gary

#266 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
    SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and twown like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

"Pass on the established elite running back because maybe we can land this guy in the third round that may or not pan out to be a good pro" isn't exactly a great thought process either. And when I asked myself why the Colts won't throw a bunch of money at Bell, I answer with "because they have the solutions on the roster already". We don't. We have Isaiah Crowell, an injured Bilal Powell, a JAG complementary piece and a gadget player.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

A RB that is 100x cheaper, and while he may not be proven. Evaluate the talent and perhaps you get a player with potentially a little less production at the pro level for the fraction of the cost. What's to say Bell doesn't smoke another blunt and get suspended? Every single draft, there has been a RB that has produced some really good numbers their rookie year. When will it be the Jets turn to find a RB like Hunt, or Philip Lindsey, David Johnson, the names go on and on.

Upgrade my line via FA / draft, get a David Montgomery in the 3rd round to pair with McGuire who is a good pass catcher out of the back-field. Montgomery runs like a more elusive James Connor who punishes defenders on every run.

9. BroadwayAaron

This is still all based off the theory that Montgomery is there first off, and turns out to be the guy you think he is... with a side of "maybe it's finally our turn to get lucky". Not a dish I want to eat when there's surf and turf sitting there and you can easily afford it plus appetizers and a side and dessert.

ColoradoContrails and Mr mittens like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

I think he will be there top of the 3rd round. Jets use their 1st, 3rd round pick to draft him. Coached by the same staff that made Hunt a pretty good player at the next level.

11. BroadwayAaron

I'm not passing up a sure thing for an "I think". That's just my opinion though. Two different thought processes.

12. 101GangGreen101

It's OK to disagree on things. Like you said, we both have ways we feel the team can improve. I've seen a lot of Montgomery over at Iowa State and I was pretty impressed by his skill-set.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I posted my list of RB's in the draft forum. There's some talented backs this year as always and we should snag one in the 3rd round whether it's Weber, Love, Snell, Williams, Montgomery and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. We'd be wise to get a young, talented back on the cheap this year so we can invest in a lot of other areas.

14. 101GangGreen101

If we didn't have McGuire would love Josh Jacobs from Alabama as a 3rd down back

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. He looks pretty good but folks are projecting him top 10 which to me is crazy talk. Hes well rounded,good size,fast & some wiggle but hes not elite in either power or elusiveness, which would be a prerequisite for going that high.

I think hes a similar level prospect to sony Michel who truthfully went about 10 picks higher than he shouldve.

CotcheryFan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

There is no way he's going in the top 10. Jacobs I think, won't be a full time back at the next level. Jacobs is going to be very effective in the passing game in terms of receiving skills and pass protection. Michel was probably a much better runner coming out too.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

At the extreme discount Verrett would come at I would take that risk. I would rather risk betting on health than I would betting on skill. IF he remains healthy he'll be the steal of free agency.

twown and Mr mittens like this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You still aren’t seeing my major argument. Gurley was 23/24 when he signed his contract extension. Bell will be 27. It isn’t a straight up comparison.

Bell is on the precipice of slowing/breaking down.

That is why I want to pass on him/the position.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Other than his age, what leads you to believe he is on the verge of breaking down? Is there anything else besides his age?

don't you think its a little overstated to look at his age anyway? considering he is only 26 and just had an entire year off?

20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He will be 27. His age is a factor whether we want to admit it or not.

He has averaged 308 touches per season (carries/receptions) in the 5 seasons he has played in. He has 1,541 touches in his career. His usage is my main concern, but his age plays into it as well.

Demarco Murray is a small sample size I know, but was forced to retire at age 28/29 due to the pounding he took. He finished his career with just over 1,900 touches.

Him not playing a snap of football last season is NOT a positive if you ask me. It isn't like that year off takes away all the pounding he has taken in his career. He might be well rested and healed, but not getting hit for a year could lead to injury this upcoming season.

As always, I am completely cool with people not agreeing with me, but I do feel like this isn't the move to make. Free Agency is a risk, but especially when you consider the position, amount of touches, and age.

#280 PennyandtheJets, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.