And the New York Jets take at #3....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I'm confused. I spent most of last off season hoping we didn't draft Josh Allen, and I seem to be spending most of this one hoping we do.

2. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Williams plays the 4-3... Allen isn't a fit in the 4-3... he's a 3-4 LB.

3. I thought he looked more explosive,better get off & pad level w his hand in the dirt.

He played a 34 in colllege & is capable.But i see him as a 4-3 wesk side DE

almbleamal and FJF like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Teams play their base package less than 40% of the time. Vance Joseph's defense led the league by being in base 42% last year. All teams play multiple fronts with Nickle being the most often employed package in the NFL. Allen, a player who is a great pass rusher and an experienced cover linebacker would absolutely find a role on this team.

Imagesrdecieving, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  5. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Bosa might be a real possibility now that the Cards will probably be taking a QB. Basically, it's like we're picked #2 overall because we are not in the market for a QB.

Mr mittens likes this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Ideal draft plan. Won't happen but if I'm the gm this would be my plan:

1. Trade the third pick to the Giants for their 1st, 2nd, 4th and their 2020 2nd. We give up the third and 94th pick in this draft.
    2. At 6 select Josh Allen, Quienin Williams, or Jonah Williams (could be wrong but 1. Murray, 2. Bosa, 3. Haskins, 4. Quenin Williams 5. Devin White (hearing Raiders and Bucs love White).
    3. 2nd round pick select the center McCoy or Jenkins
    4. 3rd round pick get the best available wr, te, or rb
    5. Trade one of the 4th for Trey Waynas CB Minnesota
    6. Repeat 3rd idea.
    7. Draft offensive line to develop.

After the draft sign Ziggy Ansah if still there and go from there.

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Jets trade out of 3 imo. If forced to stay, then it probably will be Allen. Not sure how I feel about that. Wish he was more of an athletic freak like Clowney, Mack or Garrett.

I think Bosa is going to be better but won’t be there for the Jets.

Also there’s a good chance the Jets will need to decide between Allen or Williams.

If they trade out, I could see them taking Sweat, Metcalf or more likely, the top CB on their board....

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If they stay at 3 it’s an easy choice of who’s left between Allen & Bosa. If they’re both available then it’s an even easier choice with Bosa.

I’d still like to see the Jets trade down but think the chances of that are very bleak. Our best trade down option is likely Denver panicking with Raiders rumored Lock interest.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope if they are forced to stay that the pick will be Allen. IMO he is the best of the three for the Jets' D and the most versatile. The ideal for a 3-4 OLB is a guy who can do it all, like Allen...rush the passer, set the edge, be great against the run, and be able to drop into coverage well. That guy certainly isn't Bosa.

If they trade out, I hope that you're way off on whom the Jets would take. While Sweat is a great edge rushing prospect, he is pretty much a 4-3 DE. Even if he is able to adapt to standing up and rushing, it could take him 2-3 years to develop. Still, I would prefer him over the other two players you mentioned. I think an edge rusher still has to be the pick.

Metcalf is fast, but isn't very agile. I'm not sure that he's anything other than just a straight line fast guy/deep threat. If so, that's too high, and he drops more passes than I'd like.

I also don't want or think the Jets need a stud CB if their pass rush becomes effective. We've already seen that without an elite pass rush, that few CBs not named Revis can't shut down their opposing WR, and if the QB has enough time, he will find an open receiver. With a great pass rush, having a shutdown CB isn't as necessary, because the QB won't have the time to try to find an open receiver and will have to throw the ball away, or will try to force it, which will lead to more interceptions and incompletions.

Even with a trade down, unless the Jets do trade for Lawrence, their first pick still needs to be an edge rusher, and imo that needs to be Brian Burns.

10. NCJetsfan

1. Why should we have to give up the 94th pick? How is that ideal? If they want Haskins, they should have to pony up that much to move up to take him. Don't forget that by trading down, more than likely the Jets are giving up the opportunity to take an elite edge rusher in Allen. There's no way I'd give up one of our 3rd round picks to trade down.

2. Getting Allen at #6 would be awesome! Quennin Williams would already be gone, and Jonah Williams shouldn't even be in the conversation imo.

3. With the Giant's 2nd round pick, Bradbury may even still be there, but McCoy is growing on me. I read some more about him and watched some more video of him, and either Bradbury, McCoy, or Jenkins imo would be the right pick there.

4. This is the 3a pick. I would say take the best WR or CB at this spot. I think good TEs and RBs will still be available at the lower 3rd round pick (3b) and even 4th round.

5. This is the 3b pick. No trades. Depending upon what they took with the #3rd round "a" pick, take the best WR/CB or OG.

6. This is our 4th round pick. Take the best RB/TE.

7. This is the Giants' 4th round pick. Take the best RB/TE or double dip at WR or OG.

8. This is the 6th round pick we got from Oakland, I think. Take the best STs returner be he a RB or WR, if the WR or RB you took earlier wasn't also a great return man. If you already have a return man, take a shot on another developmental OL or take a STs player.

9. Take another guy who can help STs.

#130 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I had read something somewhere the Jets would give up their late third round pick for the Giants 1, 2, 3 and 2 next year. Was going off of that. Below is the draft trade value chart. Don't think it's used as much but close to and if we did the trade with nothing in the future the Giants 1, 2 and 4 will get it done. I agree with you on the way to go about the picks. I would consider Waynas for a 4th slight difference but beyond that agree with your blueprint. Hope Allen falls to three. Mccoy in the second then get every guard, cb, wr rb, and te we can get. Add in get young guys. No more 23 year old draft picks. GMs make me scratch my head quite a bit with the way they draft. Can't explain why we've gone d heavy and no o linemen or skill players in ten years. Obviously didn't go to the Parcells school of building teams. Build the lines out. Not one side of the ball out and most of the picks being failures.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Metcalf isn't fast;He's explosive. I don't think he's purely a straight line...just more of a boundary/1 cut guy. He can run Go's/posts/Slants/Outs/Comebacks/Corners Bout the only routes he's not ideal for are pivot routes IE Cross/Drag/Ins & maybe curls.But he's more of an "X" wide receiver anyway whereas the Y or Z run those other routes in the jets case Crowder/Quincy/Herndon.

What we know about him is that his release combined with his size allow him to separate with ease even in the SEC. That fact combined with his obvious explosiveness, size & demonstrated ability within Contested 50-50 balls,taking the top off D's & the effectiveness in the Red zone make him a very attractive prospect.

The health & as you said the Hands are really the concerns with him. I didn't see him drop any balls but others have pointed to acouple games. If those 2 things check out...sheesh...You'd be hard pressed to find a better "X" WR prospect short of more raw stats which were affected by so-so QB play,injuries & Sharing the load with 2 other highly regarded WR prospects in the same offense.

I think he fits what the jets need to bring this WR group together & fits Sam extremely well though not quite as well as N'keal harry.

In the oft chance we're able to nab Lawrence or another proven pass rusher while moving down in RD 1 either separately or in the process he'd be a prime draft target

13. NCJetsfan

I don't expect him to be in play for the Jets, as I think they'll stay put and draft one of the top 3 D players rather than trade down, even if they get a good offer. I respect and trust your opinion, however, so just in case I will watch more film on him.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

N.Y Jets select Nick Bosa @ #3.

Leonard Williams.
    Jamal Adams.
    Sam Darnold.
    Nick Bosa.

They've been falling into our laps as of late. I would love Josh Allen but I really want Nick Bosa. Hopefully Bosa falls into our laps as well.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Over half the 1st round picks changed hands last draft. 2017, 12 of 32 picks changed hands, 2016, 12 of 32 again.

Can we stop with the "Every team in the draft wants to trade down and almost no one is looking to trade up"

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I want: the Jets to trade down.

What will actually happen: They will stay at 3 and take Bosa, Allen, or Williams. I hope that it is Allen or Bosa.

NCJetsfan and Sam Hammer like this.
  17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Add in Bosa will be ok but not great and we'll get him. Everyone will say what a great pick and Williams and Allen will be Hall of Famers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You guys are all willing to trade down and miss on a SURE THING (Bosa, Williams, Allen) so that Mike M. can show us his draft prowess in drafting late in the 1st and also 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds for more questionable talent ??? :eek:

If I knew for sure or had good reason that MM would nail all the picks, I'd be OK with a trade down. But I don't.

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there are two top 5 trades/QBs taken and we end up with Josh Allen at 6. Tampa would likely take Allen in this situation, but I can dream. Then we either get another first from Giants or at least a 2nd rounder this year and can hopefully nab top center.
    Murray
    Bosa
    Lock/Haskins whoever, I don't care
    Williams
    White
    Allen

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think ideally the Jets trade back to 5 or 6, still get Josh Allen, and grab a second round pick to put towards basically any position on offense.

More realistically, the Jets stand pat and Bosa or Allen. If they're both gone, I'd probably take Q.Williams, but I'm not sure my heart can take another interior lineman.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.